• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This trade cleared enough money to trade Horford for Klay / Lee

Admin

Depending on other moves, I like this possibility.  Thompson is like Harden but with defense.  Young guy that can light it up and is about to cash in on his talents.  A little time here could determine whether his numbers were inflated due to where he played or if he's the real thing.  Personally, I think he's the real thing.  Mark Jackson got after Golden State to play defense.  You're talking about a guy who averaged almost 20ppg behind Curry and Lee.  In Bud's system, his 41% 3pt. % could mean he'd average more than 20ppg. 

I think his #'s might be a bit deflated due to sharing a back court with Curry. But it's very hard to judge if he's a for real star caliber player or not.  Advanced metrics don't like him a whole lot though. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Im not for this move.  I still stand with the fact we need a defensive stopper in the middle which we dont have.  Maybe Payne will be that guy but right now we have no one including Horf and Sap.

I think his #'s might be a bit deflated due to sharing a back court with Curry. But it's very hard to judge if he's a for real star caliber player or not.  Advanced metrics don't like him a whole lot though. 

Maybe, but I'm starting to get off this "superstar" train and look more at the 3 "all-star" to win a title train because the title "superstar" is so subjective and sometimes a system with quality players that fit beat "superstars".  I think Thompson is definitely an All-Star and Lee is a borderline All-Star much like Millsap.  I think Millsap and Lee are redundant so if that's the proposed deal, I could see Lee getting flipped to another team for more depth at Center or possibly used in a S&T for someone like Monroe. 

Edited by Dragitoff
  • Like 1

Klay disappears too much for me, Lee is brittle. I'm good.

Lee has averaged 71 games per season in his career. Horford has averaged 76 games per season in his healthy years. Include his 2 season ending injury seasons and that # drops significantly to 60 games per season. 

And Lee is just the salary throw in but look at his head to head numbers vs Horford. Adjust those PER36 and you've got very equal numbers scoring wise and on the glass. Horford is far better defensively but since Lee isn't the centerpiece here this is a damn good trade for the Hawks. 

post-5-0-12241200-1404145683_thumb.png

• Like 1

Maybe, but I'm starting to get off this "superstar" train and look more at the 3 "all-star" to win a title train because the title "superstar" is so subjective and sometimes a system with quality players that fit beat "superstars".  I think Thompson is definitely an All-Star and Lee is a borderline All-Star much like Millsap.  I think Millsap and Lee are redundant so if that's the proposed deal, I could see Lee getting flipped to another team for more depth at Center or possibly used in a S&T for someone like Monroe. 

I think you'd be more likely to see Millsap being traded since Lee's contract isn't as desirable. But I'd be fine with flipping him for someone else. 

But keep in mind this deal allows us the room to add another very good player on top of Klay and Lee. Could be Monroe. Could be a guy we trade for. 

• Like 1

I think you'd be more likely to see Millsap being traded since Lee's contract isn't as desirable. But I'd be fine with flipping him for someone else. 

But keep in mind this deal allows us the room to add another very good player on top of Klay and Lee. Could be Monroe. Could be a guy we trade for. 

I wouldn't be crazy about Monroe and Lee in the middle.  Pretty weak defensively, but really stout on the other end of the court.  Lee is really a poor man's Kevin Love to me.  Less range, but a good all around offensive game and a strong rebounder.  Weak on the defensive end.  Monroe has a solid post game so I could see the two of them working well together offensively.  Monroe's post play help space the floor well.  Millsap's contract might be easier to move, but man, I'd sure love to keep him here if this were the deal. 

I wouldn't be crazy about Monroe and Lee in the middle.  Pretty weak defensively, but really stout on the other end of the court.  Lee is really a poor man's Kevin Love to me.  Less range, but a good all around offensive game and a strong rebounder.  Weak on the defensive end.  Monroe has a solid post game so I could see the two of them working well together offensively.  Monroe's post play help space the floor well.  Millsap's contract might be easier to move, but man, I'd sure love to keep him here if this were the deal. 

This year it would be Monroe and Millsap in the middle. They wouldn't be great but they'd get the job done. And Monroe is a terrific passer and versatile on offense so he'd fit in very well.  Lee would be coming off the bench and he could play the 4 or 5 beside Monroe or Millsap. 

This year it would be Monroe and Millsap in the middle. They wouldn't be great but they'd get the job done. And Monroe is a terrific passer and versatile on offense so he'd fit in very well.  Lee would be coming off the bench and he could play the 4 or 5 beside Monroe or Millsap. 

yes, in your original scenario, but in my tweak to it, I'm trading one of Lee/Millsap away for a defensive stopper in the lane off the bench.  yes.gif

yes, in your original scenario, but in my tweak to it, I'm trading one of Lee/Millsap away for a defensive stopper in the lane off the bench.  yes.gif

Who're you trading for that's going to give us that kind of player while taking back Lee's 36 million? 

There's a $4.2 million dollar difference between Klay Thompson and David Lee and what Al Horford is making. What if there's a real 2 way or 3 way trade (Love to GSW, Al to Minn) on the table that lands us Thompson (with Lee as the salary filler and guy GSW's are wanting to move)?

Of course we still had the money to do this before the trade but now we can make this trade and still have the same amount open to us that we had before the Lou/Bebe trade.

Teague

Klay

DMC/Korver

Millsap

Lee

+ 11ish million in cap space to use. Gives us enough $$ to make a solid run at a guy like Monroe to start at C for us.

Teague

Klay

DMC/Korver

Millsap

Monroe/Lee

I dunno but that sounds like a team that could play some real Budz ball

Now this!!!....I'm ok with!...good job dolf!

Maybe, but I'm starting to get off this "superstar" train and look more at the 3 "all-star" to win a title train because the title "superstar" is so subjective and sometimes a system with quality players that fit beat "superstars". I think Thompson is definitely an All-Star and Lee is a borderline All-Star much like Millsap. I think Millsap and Lee are redundant so if that's the proposed deal, I could see Lee getting flipped to another team for more depth at Center or possibly used in a S&T for someone like Monroe.

Exactly! I wish more of the board will realize this!

Exactly! I wish more of the board will realize this!

Pretty sure this is the direction that Ferry is going as well. But they gotta be legit All-Stars and not just circumstantial All-Stars.  Right now he's gotta find that AS and hope that Horford returns to health.

• Moderators

I don't remember the last non-superstar team to win a title other than the Pistons.  I mean, sure I know that the 1978-79 Supersonics did it but I was too young to remember them.

All I remember are teams led by Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, Larry Bird, Shaq, Magic, Isiah, Kobe, Hakeem, Moses Malone, etc.

Definitely a team built with stars and a system can compete with a team with just stars but the teams that try to get by with good but not great players and a system don't win championships for the most part.