• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What are we going to do with Salmons?

Diesel

I doubt he would have been our all-star if Horford stayed healthy. The NBA just seems to give us an all-star selection every year for being a playoff team, and Horford would have received it IMO.

Millsap is a good player, but Ferry said he broke up the last team because it could not get out of the first and 2nd round. There is nothing to suggest that his plans will result in anything different.

• Premium Member

I doubt he would have been our all-star if Horford stayed healthy. The NBA just seems to give us an all-star selection every year for being a playoff team, and Horford would have received it IMO.

I think he may have only not been an All-Star because Al would have took votes from him. They both would have been on the ballot. Those guys have already proven in their short time together in the regular season that they can play GREAT together. With a C next to him that can stretch the floor he has open space to work in to get high % shots. When Pero got hurt after Al was already out for the season Sap's FG% started dropping because of no threat to stretch the floor other than EB's freethrow line J.

• Like 1

Millsap wouldn't have made the team in the west and he probably will not make it again ever.

It was a solid player that he signed to a good deal. The move did not take us out of treadmill status. 

If I gave you a hundred dollar bill you would complain that it wasn't crisp.

This isn't new for you, and I normally don't have a problem with your general disposition. Hell, I probably defend you more often than I have a problem with what you say. But there have been posters detailing all the possible scenarios for what the Hawks can do with Salmons on this board for the past week. It's pretty shitty and ignorant to have all these posts about possibilities and then claim "WELP I GUESS WE GAVE AWAY A FIRST ROUNDER FOR NOTHING". Open your eyes man.

I doubt he would have been our all-star if Horford stayed healthy. The NBA just seems to give us a aal-star selection every year for being a playoff team, and Horford would have received it IMO.

Oh, like two years ago? I'm having a difficult time remembering who our All-Star was then. Al was healthy, so I guess it was him?

I think he may have only not been an All-Star because Al would have took votes from him. They both would have been on the ballot. Those guys have already proven in their short time together in the regular season that they can play GREAT together. With a C next to him that can stretch the floor he has open space to work in to get high % shots. When Pero got hurt after Al was already out for the season Sap's FG% started dropping because of no threat to stretch the floor other than EB's freethrow line J.

A 16-13 record together is far from great.

Oh, like two years ago? I'm having a difficult time remembering who our All-Star was then. Al was healthy, so I guess it was him?

2 years ago was 2 years ago. Horford had the better numbers before going down, he is our best player, he would have been the all-star. Anyways, are you suggesting because Millsap was our all-star last year he has now became our best player?

Either way, we are not coming out of the East if Horford OR Millsap is the best player on the team.

• Premium Member

A 16-13 record together is far from great.

You keep harping on that as if thats a bad record and if you say it enough it will make it sound worse. That winning percentage of .551 projects to 45 wins, would have put us in the top 4 of the east if I'm not mistaken, and with that record we were #3 seed, and Toronto got the #3 seed with only 48 or so wins. We still would likely have ended up 3rd or 4th at minimum were Al healthy all year.

• Like 1

You keep harping on that as if thats a bad record and if you say it enough it will make it sound worse. That winning percentage of .551 projects to 45 wins, would have put us in the top 4 of the east if I'm not mistaken, and with that record we were #3 seed, and Toronto got the #3 seed with only 48 or so wins. We still would likely have ended up 3rd or 4th at minimum were Al healthy all year.

Yeah, it's a pretty mediocre record. Didn't the Nets have the best record in the conference last year after the all star break? It's very possible that Miami (if Lebron stays), NJ, Toronto, Indy and Chicago are all still better. It seems that NJ ans Toronto improved the second half of last year.

It's sad that fans basically have to get excited about watching last years mediocre team again next year.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Yeah, it's a pretty mediocre record. Didn't the Nets have the best record in the conference last year after the all star break? It's very possible that Miami (if Lebron stays), NJ, Toronto, Indy and Chicago are all still better. It seems that NJ ans Toronto improved the second half of last year.

A mediocre record which would have us contending in the East, as bad as the East is. Not bad for a rookie head coach with a new system. I don't see us adding Payne, Thabo, hopefully healthy Horford, and seasoning for Mack and Schröder is going to have us slipping in the East. I think we are poised to get a lot better from within even if no other move is made.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It's sad that fans basically have to get excited about watching last years mediocre team again next year.

You really don't think we would improve as the season went on? New coach, new system and you expect our record at 30 games to be who we were all season long,

Compare the team you saw lose to Dallas in the first game and our team during the playoffs. Let me guess..same team, right?

• Like 1

A mediocre record which would have us contending in the East, as bad as the East is. Not bad for a rookie head coach with a new system. I don't see us adding Payne, Thabo, hopefully healthy Horford, and seasoning for Mack and Schröder is going to have us slipping in the East. I think we are poised to get a lot better from within even if no other move is made.

Other teams will improve too, with potentially better players (Wiz with Wall for example).

Thabo is a nobody. Counting on a 30 year old 25 MPG role player to really improve your team. That is bad.

• Premium Member

Thabo is a nobody. Counting on a 30 year old 25 MPG role player to really improve your team. That is bad.

Keep bringing the hate! as if 30 is over the hill already? c'mon! Bringing Thabo in means we have a lock down defender on the wing for all 48 minutes every night!

You really don't think we would improve as the season went on? New coach, new system and you expect our record at 30 games to be who we were all season long,

Compare the team you saw lose to Dallas in the first game and our team during the playoffs. Let me guess..same team, right?

Do you realize this team shot 38% with an average of 91 PPG as a team against Indiana in the playoffs? They did not play all that well. Indiana just played like crap.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Other teams will improve too, with potentially better players (Wiz with Wall for example).

I am hoping every team in the East improves with us. This Conference needs to gain some respect. A stronger East with a Hawks team in the upper echelon also translates to more respect for Coach Bud and his guys.

• Premium Member

Do you realize this team shot 38% with an average of 91 PPG as a team against Indiana in the playoffs? They did not play all that well. Indiana just played like crap.

Yes, that makes it even more amazing that we were only a couple made 3 pointers from dispatching them in 6. That means we played great. I wouldn't be surprised if we post a better record than them this year. Don't forget that the Raptors pulled away from us by beating us a couple times without Al too, so their record would have been likely a game or two worse and ours a game or two better just simply due to that alone.

• Premium Member

I wasn't thrilled with our offensive execution but we basically missed a lot of open shots. We also didn't have our best player which you seem to think doesn't matter.

You just seem to think we suck with Al, wouldn't have improved as the season went on if we had him, and suck without him.

• Like 1

Yes, that makes it even more amazing that we were only a couple made 3 pointers from dispatching them in 6. That means we played great. I wouldn't be surprised if we post a better record than them this year. Don't forget that the Raptors pulled away from us by beating us a couple times without Al too, so their record would have been likely a game or two worse and ours a game or two better just simply due to that alone.

Indy played like a .500 team after the all star break last year. While other teams improved, they were actually a team that stepped back in the 2nd half of the season. It's sort of like when the Hawks played Orlando in the playoffs a few years ago and that team was falling apart.

I mean, the effort was there. The team played hard, but it was not a close series because the Hawks played great. It was two less than stellar teams both playing at about the same level.

• Like 1