• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why not Boris Diaw? (Update - stays with Spurs 3 yr 22 mil)

Admin

He's an unrestricted free agent right? Perfect for the Spurs / Hawks system, familiar with Budz. History in Atlanta that needs righting. I know we have some good depth at PF but I'd gladly let Scott walk to bring in Diaw. 

• Like 2

Now he's somebody who actually makes sense. Ferry is familiar with him, Bud is familiar with him. He fits the system to a T. I wouldn't be mad at this signing if Diaw actually left the Spurs, who by the way seem to retain their free agents for peanuts. Lol.

• Premium Member

I think Payne's arrival means Scott's gone regardless.

But... it does make sense that DF would love to bring in someone with a strong SA tie at some point.

Edited by sturt

I think Payne's arrival means Scott's gone regardless.

Most likely. But with Diaw and Payne those guys are interchangeable and can play at the same time at the 4-5 spots and Diaw at the 3 as well. 

This is the kind of signing that I'd love to see us surprised with. A guy with a championship pedigree who makes his teammates better across the board. Get him and Bonner while we're at it. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Diaw is more than capable of playing the SF spot.  Can't see how anyone would not want him on our team after seeing what he does for that Spurs team on both ends of the floor.

I used to think of Diaw as a SF until fairly recently, so maybe so. He seems a little old and a few pounds heavy to be the primary 3, tho... am I wrong? Is he quick enough to defend the 3? It's a tantalizing thought.

(EDIT: And considering the Spurs just took Anderson in the draft... hmmmm... and... considering that DF had Anderson in for two workouts, not just one... hmmmm some more... )

Edited by sturt

I used to think of Diaw as a SF until fairly recently, so maybe so. He seems a little old and a few pounds heavy to be the primary 3, tho... am I wrong? Is he quick enough to defend the 3? It's a tantalizing thought.

(EDIT: And considering the Spurs just took Anderson in the draft... hmmmm... and... considering that DF had Anderson in for two workouts, not just one... hmmmm some more... )

I wouldn't start Diaw. He'd come off the bench and play multiple spots, but he could start anytime we needed him to and at multiple positions. And man it's crazy to think of him as old since he's only 32 but I get what you're saying. Plus his bones take a lot more pressure on him than they should since he's about 3 and a quarter these days I'm guessing haha. 

• Premium Member

I wouldn't start Diaw. He'd come off the bench and play multiple spots, but he could start anytime we needed him to and at multiple positions. And man it's crazy to think of him as old since he's only 32 but I get what you're saying. Plus his bones take a lot more pressure on him than they should since he's about 3 and a quarter these days I'm guessing haha. 

So, would you be satisfied to go into the season with a rotation of DMC, Korver and Diaw at the 3?

I might, assuming you could line-up someone elite at the 2.

So, would you be satisfied to go into the season with a rotation of DMC, Korver and Diaw at the 3?

I might, assuming you could line-up someone elite at the 2.

Yes I would be thrilled with that if we could find a nice upgrade at starting SG.  

Plus I'd drop Antić and bring in Bonner to play our stretch 5 role. 

• Premium Member

Perhaps, but Diaw did an amazing job @ the finals. I'm having a hard time believing the Spurs would just ask him to leave because of Kyle Anderson. It could happens Diaw doesn't get a very good offer from SA, tho, so DF should pay attention to this.

Would Diaw shine as much here as he did there?  I agree it would take a really good offer because he seems happy as hell playing for titles in San Antonio. Love to have him here though.

Like I said, tho. Brazil... that they drafted Anderson might make Diaw expendable from an SA point of view.

I cant see Pop trusting Diaws minutes and his huge role on the team to an unproven rookie. He may eventually replace Diaw but not yet.