• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stretching a waived players contract? I had no idea you could do this

Admin

Okay this Tweet isn't Hawks related but the provision could be someday but go ahead and crucify me now for being hypocritical. I just had no idea you could do this

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65

• If the player's salary payments are spread-out using the Stretch provision, the team may elect to stretch the salary cap charge to match2. For example, if two seasons remain on the player's contract when he is waived, and the payment is spread-out over five years per the Stretch provision, then the team may elect to spread-out the salary cap hit over those same five years.

• In all other cases (i.e., when the contract or extension was not signed under the current CBA, or when the team elects not to spread-out the cap hit per the Stretch provision), the player's remaining guaranteed salary is included in team salary in the remaining years of the contract, ignoring any revisions to the payment schedule. For example, if a player who signed under the previous CBA is waived with two seasons remaining on his contract and the team & player negotiate a lump-sum payout of the remaining guaranteed salary, the player's salary continues to be included in team salary over the next two seasons.

C'mon - keep up.  I remember this talk in relation to Steve Nash and LAL earlier in the season when he got injured.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

C'mon - keep up.  I remember this talk in relation to Steve Nash and LAL earlier in the season when he got injured.

I'm old so sue me... plus I don't pay attention to crap from other teams lol. Maybe this was common knowledge to some of y'all but I had no idea. 

BTW not trying to turn this into a Kings / Collison topic. 

Well I guess I'm not the only one who didn't know what this was @JayBirdHawk stinker.gif

When we were desperate to get rid of Joe's deal we brought up paying him over the next 20 years via stretch provision Bobby Bonilla style.

There, Dol. I made it Hawks related for ya.

I thought you could only stretch it to twice as long as the remaining years plus 1? 

And thanks Mace I knew we kept ya around for something :)

I thought you could only stretch it to twice as long as the remaining years plus 1?

And thanks Mace I knew we kept ya around for something :)

Yea hyperbole on the 20 count but basically it was brought up right at the beginning of his deal so you were looking at 10+ years.
  • Like 1