• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woj: Cracks in the triad

sturt

• Moderators

the world waits with bated breath.

And what would happen if this took place in the NFL?  Or baseball? 

No single player matters nearly as much in the NFL or MLB as he does in the NBA.  Lebron can turn Cleveland from their current lottery projection to legit title contenders.  

• Moderators

Anyone seriously think that LBJ will want to play for a rookie head coach who has never coached in the US?

Our rookie head coach did a fine job last season.  And David Blatt is only a rookie because he's been coaching international ball for over 20 years and is just now coming over.  He is a very respected coach.  And it's not like coach was a big priority when he signed with Miami in 2010.  No one goes to Miami to play for Eric Spoelstra.

• Premium Member

Lebron should have never toyed with Cleveland if he had no intention to resign with Cleveland.

I think it's downright disrespectful to make them think that they have a shot at getting him when he knows that they don't.  Especially after 2010.  Sure they would love to have him back. Sure they consider him their product.  However, if all of this was just a rouse to see how much attention he can get, I hope he get his.... NO MORE RINGS FOR THE KING.

Lebron should have never toyed with Cleveland if he had no intention to resign with Cleveland.

I think it's downright disrespectful to make them think that they have a shot at getting him when he knows that they don't.  Especially after 2010.  Sure they would love to have him back. Sure they consider him their product.  However, if all of this was just a rouse to see how much attention he can get, I hope he get his.... NO MORE RINGS FOR THE KING.

If this is all just a rouse he better not ever show his face in Cleveland again or someone may take exception to it and put him down. 

• Like 1

If they all go back to Miami I will dislike them 100x more.

This isn't a game. These are guys livelihoods and while you flirt with teams for no reason, some other guy is trying to get paid.

Just think of all the money this has cost the NBA. I think they get off knowing the NBA stops and waits on their every move.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Be prepared.  It is a ruse.  He likes being wined, dined and having reporters breathlessly reporting on his "mega-meetings."  He will find that he is 'too loyal' to walk away from Miami and will graciously resign with Wade and Bosh.  He may decide to piss on Cleveland if they are on fire but otherwise will not deign to do so.  

Be prepared. It is a ruse. He likes being wined, dined and having reporters breathlessly reporting on his "mega-meetings." He will find that he is 'too loyal' to walk away from Miami and will graciously resign with Wade and Bosh. He may decide to piss on Cleveland if they are on fire but otherwise will not deign to do so.

Now the question is not "if" but "when" will Dan Gilbert's old message about leaving the Cavs go back on the website. Lol

This isn't a game. These are guys livelihoods and while you flirt with teams for no reason, some other guy is trying to get paid.

Just think of all the money this has cost the NBA. I think they get off knowing the NBA stops and waits on their every move.

How much money this costs the NBA? I'm sorry, but have you seen the amount of coverage that media outlets are devoting to this free agency? It has been non-stop. And with a new TV deal upcoming for the NBA, this amount of non-stop coverage is great news for everyone involved in the NBA. This will only increase revenues, which goes directly to the owners and players. Not indirectly, but directly.

It's disrespectful to guys like Deng and others who are being held up by this farce.  Which is why I don't understand why those guys won't call them out on it.  

One thing I disagree with is that it costs the NBA.  If anything, this keeps them relevant through what had previously been a pretty dead period.  As is, every sports show leads with the LeBron will he/won't he nonsense.  If it weren't for that, the top NBA story would be summer league.  Ew.

How much money this costs the NBA? I'm sorry, but have you seen the amount of coverage that media outlets are devoting to this free agency? It has been non-stop. And with a new TV deal upcoming for the NBA, this amount of non-stop coverage is great news for everyone involved in the NBA. This will only increase revenues, which goes directly to the owners and players. Not indirectly, but directly.

As a right now thing? Sure. But the NBA already has an issue with the brand. Common people don't like the players, and the big threes handling of situation is just going to make it that much worse. 

Of course this isn't going to impact true basketball fans, but the fringe people? Id say the mass opinion of the NBA is not entirely glowing. 

I know a lot of people that swear against the NBA because its "rigged" and "cheap sports" and yada yada yada. You can call them wrong, but don't act like you haven't met people like this too. Do we really think this is helping that image? This whole "what are you doing. Lets team up. Lets not" stuff is creating a league that is viewed as nothing but New York Yankee type of teams. Is that wrong? Thank god we have San Antonio, but the truth remains the same. By and large the rich teams are the contenders and it really doesn't change. No casual "fan" wants to watch this. Sure they might turn out for the Finals, but the rest of the season? Whats the point. The top 5 teams in each conference are almost guaranteed. The Conference Finals are easy to predict as well. 

This offseason of "tag teaming" rumors just feeds right into that. The casual fan doesn't want to hear about Melo and Lebron pairing up to breeze to a title. They look at that and say, well this season is over. The Finals are bought and paid for. The NBA is going to create a handful of NY Yankee type of teams that have all the talent, and a few good teams that just won't ever be able to compete. Why would anyone that doesn't love Basketball want to watch that?

Thats the difference in basketball and football. Football is widely popular because anything can happen. Basketball is almost signed, sealed, and delivered before the season even starts. 

Lets say Melo and Gasol go to LA. The Finals next year will be some combo of LA/Houston/OKC/Spurs and Heat/Hawks/Pacers/Wizards. Id say there is a 75% chance it is one of those teams. Which is why the NBA will never have tremendous ratings on par with the NFL and CFB. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Great question:

Great question:

Yeah, sounds like it's back to Miami.  All the wheeling and dealing by CLE based on the hope that he'd come home seems to be more poor FO management which has been their M.O. under Gilbert.

One thing I found interesting was Stephen A Smith saying (on Sportscenter) that the original 'big 3' was supposed to be Wade, Melo and James and that Bosh was only added later.  Melo refused to leave money on the table in Denver or STTE which meant he wouldn't be a FA in 2010.

Lends credence to my theory that they're trying to squeeze Bosh out for Melo.  They can't outright tell Bosh that because he knows where the collusiony bodies are buried.  They need him to leave under his own volition.