• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

For future reference, what is your tipping point contract for Deng if we get him

sturt

Anything more than 10 million per and I'm gonna break something.

Hey look here I'd go 3/29 and tell him he's lucky to get it Jack!

Is that the alcohol talking or Dofl? Lol

• Premium Member

...that is, the contract that is the most amount of money and years that you're content with, and anything more, to your mind, would be giving up too much.

I'm not one who's all that on-board with getting him in the first place, so I'm probably going to be on the low side compared to most of you... for me, I can go $9 mil and no more than 2 years without asking to have my Hawksquawk membership abolished.

Just thinking about it, We may have been saving Salmons for a SNT of Deng from Cleveland.  That means, his cap is 10 Million but he's good for 5 years. 

So maybe we offer a 5 years 40 Million dollar deal.  That deal starts at 7.275 Million for us.  Maybe holding on to Deng for too long but maybe he's not done.

Would I be mad with a 5 year deal for Deng?  It's not that bad of a deal, we have done worst for lesser players.

• Premium Member

Just thinking about it, We may have been saving Salmons for a SNT of Deng from Cleveland.  That means, his cap is 10 Million but he's good for 5 years. 

So maybe we offer a 5 years 40 Million dollar deal.  That deal starts at 7.275 Million for us.  Maybe holding on to Deng for too long but maybe he's not done.

Would I be mad with a 5 year deal for Deng?  It's not that bad of a deal, we have done worst for lesser players.

Deng made over $14M last year.  He is probably thinking this is is last chance for a big contract, given his age.  Why would he consider a contact offer paying almost half of what he made?  We love our Hawks however the feeling may not be mutual with the available free agents, especially if almost insulting contract offers are made.

• Premium Member

Deng made over $14M last year.  He is probably thinking this is is last chance for a big contract, given his age.  Why would he consider a contact offer paying almost half of what he made?  We love our Hawks however the feeling may not be mutual with the available free agents, especially if almost insulting contract offers are made.

Well, the way I see it, if he gets a 5 year deal worth 40 or a 4 year deal worth 40, what's the difference?  In fact, we can give him a PO at 3 if he like but my guess is that no team will give him 4 yrs at 40... and if he signs a 3 year deal, nobody is going to give him more than the vet min when he's 33.

I understand that this is a players market but he turned down 3 years 30 million.  I think he did so knowing that there is no way that after that third year, he would make any money.  Maybe a 1 year 4 million dollar deal.

There is no way Deng is good for 5 more years. He might make it to 3.

There is no way Deng is good for 5 more years. He might make it to 3.

Coach Bud ain't playing him 40+mins a game. He might average 35 mins a game. Look at the spurs roster. Tim and Manu are 38years old and they can still play at a high level. 

Coach Bud ain't playing him 40+mins a game. He might average 35 mins a game. Look at the spurs roster. Tim and Manu are 38years old and they can still play at a high level. 

But he already has a ton of millage on his legs. I just don't see it myself. His career so far reminds me a bit of Michael Finley... Who also started dropping off after about 10 seasons after playing 38-41 MPG for several years.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Deng turned down 3 years 30 million; Chicago moved him after that. I would go 4 years 48 million with a team option on year four. For me that is 3 for 36 as I don't see us keeping him for 12 million four years from now. Millsap clears our books next season and with no immediate rookie contracts expiring, we can still be a cap friendly team going into next season....Horford's last contract year is the big one; by then we are either a conference final team or its retool the lineup again!

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

5 years is not possible under the CBA. 4 is the max # of years unless you have Bird rights to your own FA.

If we do more than the 3/30 the Bulls offered I will not be happy. I'd rather do more over a shorter contract 2/24, for example.

• Like 1

I like a 3 year contract for $30 mill that decreases over time. Maybe $11.5 mill, $10 mill, $8.5 mill.

Is that better for us than 10/10/10 ? Depends on what that additional $1.5 mill would net this year.

BTW..... Sam Amico is reporting that talks are progressing with Deng and the Hawks though nothing is final.

5 years is not possible under the CBA. 4 is the max # of years unless you have Bird rights to your own FA.

If we do more than the 3/30 the Bulls offered I will not be happy. I'd rather do more over a shorter contract 2/24, for example.

Good point.

• Premium Member

He can't be SNT from Cleveland?

• Moderators

He can't be SNT from Cleveland?

The new rules for S&T mean that he can't S&t'd for more than we could sign him directly. The old rules allowed the player to get more in a S&T but that no longer exists.

• Premium Member

The new rules for S&T mean that he can't S&t'd for more than we could sign him directly. The old rules allowed the player to get more in a S&T but that no longer exists.

Uhm.

I'm talking about a SNT of Salmons for Deng.... starting at 7.275 Million with 5% annual raises.  Not even 7.5%.

That gets us to 5 years 40 Million.   Or you can manipulate it to 7 million at 7.5% annual raises and he can get 5 years 40.25 Million.

Uhm.

I'm talking about a SNT of Salmons for Deng.... starting at 7.275 Million with 5% annual raises.  Not even 7.5%.

That gets us to 5 years 40 Million.   Or you can manipulate it to 7 million at 7.5% annual raises and he can get 5 years 40.25 Million.

You missed the who point. You can no longer do sign and trade deals for 5 year contracts.