• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kent Bazemore to meet face to face with Hawks tomorrow

TJR4536

Overpay for Deng or Monroe? Atlanta will have to overpay to get the better players to come here. The Hawks have a reputation of being cheap and nobody comes to the games..

If you were a big time free agent why would you want to go to Atlanta? Until Ferry pulls in a big free agent, every summer will remain as it has the last 10 years where cap space means nothing.

So if/when we overpay for these "treadmill" players, Squawk won't outrage over it? C'mon now. Will maxing out Deng/Monroe make us contenders?This is what Ferry is considering and rightfully so.

Edited by GameTime

Like someone said earlier.   If Thabo and Bazemore were the final 2 signings of free agency, maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal.  But when those guys could possibly be the first two that are signed, which may prohibit a deal with a significant higher priced player . . . it's just disappointing.

It's like missing out on getting the hot girl at the club . . . and settling for the OK looking fat girl at the end of the night.

Like someone said earlier.   If Thabo and Bazemore were the final 2 signings of free agency, maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal.  But when those guys could possibly be the first two that are signed, which may prohibit a deal with a significant higher priced player . . . it's just disappointing.

It's like missing out on getting the hot girl at the club . . . and settling for the OK looking fat girl at the end of the night.

Oh no, it's like psyching yourself out of speaking to the hot chick and telling yourself, "Well I'm a 4 so I better stick to these fat 2's in the corner."  And then selling yourself on how hot the 2 could be in the right system.

I have always found that having a group of 5's readily available and willing is better than the effort and stress it takes to maintain having a 10. At the end of the day, the 10 is just there to show off to your friends and you deal with their bullshit. After a while, you realize it just wasn't worth the time, effort and money.

• Moderators

Part of my curiosity of his potential at backup PG is based on his defined role at 2013 Summer League.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/61708/kent-bazemores-good-cheer

The Warriors designated him as a small forward before his rookie season. Right now, he’s handling point guard duties for Golden State’s summer league squad, running high pick-and-rolls like a Stephen Curry understudy.

Looks like it worked out OK. At least in Summer League, anyway. Was he the main guy setting up MVP Ian Clark in the title game?

tumblr_mqdfm5I3Ya1rge74zo1_1280.png

Plus, with guys like Klay, Dre, and Harrison piling up the minutes at the wing, it seems the Dubs were aiming for Baze to continue to develop at the 1.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2013/07/22/kent-bazemore-takes-his-game-to-another-level/

Bazemore’s handle is not yet crisp enough to take on NBA point guards, and he still turns it over too much for his own liking. But the Warriors don’t need him to be Stephen Curry. With his defensive ability and athleticism, the Warriors can use him in spots. And if he can give them something on offense, that makes it so much easier for coach Mark Jackson to put Bazemore on the court. His summer league performance shows they can probably stand to put him on the ball to make a play for a few minutes while unleashing him on defense.

G-State's 2013 summer acquisition of Toney Douglas didn't work out and he was sent packing to Miami in the three-team deal for Jordan Crawford and MarShon Brooks. Bazemore's and Brooks' subsequent trade to L.A. brought the Warriors a more ready-and-reliable PG in Steve Blake and allowed them to bring up their first-rounder PG Nemanja Nedovic, moves that also didn't really pan out at playoff time (Blake underutilized, Nedovic too raw).

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/03/11/bazemore-hopes-to-stick-with-lakers-learn-from-bryant/

In 44 games with Golden State this season, Bazemore averaged 6.1 mpg and 2.1 ppg. The Warriors swapped Bazemore’s potential for the need-it-now veteran reliability of point guard Steve Blake. Bazemore said he holds no grudges and praised Golden State’s ownership and management for inviting him onto their Summer League team in 2012 and then signing him to a two-year contract. He thanked the Warriors’ coaching staff, saying “they were all out for my best interests” and blamed himself for the need for a trade by not being ready to assume the backup point guard role.

~lw3

Projecting lol

Those are things you could read on any free agent or draft profile.

Not a single person in this thread thinks a 3 million dollar young journeyman is a star.

Star no, but a piece yes. Wonder how much Danny Green signed for with SA before he became a key Playoff contributor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Star no, but a piece yes. Wonder how much Danny Green signed for with SA before he became a key Playoff contributor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He made 94k his 1st year in San Antonio and even last year only made 3.8 million.

Not saying he wont be a good fit but there is nothing about signing this dude that would pump me up. Thats just me though...

It's not just you ...

I hate to go negative, but I can't help but think it will be a pretty hard sell to get him to come here instead of to the Spurs. I imagine we will have to offer quite a bit more money. It would be interesting to hear Ferry and Coach Bud's pitch to him.

I hate to go negative, but I can't help but think it will be a pretty hard sell to get him to come here instead of to the Spurs. I imagine we will have to offer quite a bit more money. It would be interesting to hear Ferry and Coach Bud's pitch to him.

We can offer him a much better opportunity for playing time and thus earning a bigger contract in the future than the Spurs can. 

• Like 1

We can offer him a much better opportunity for playing time and thus earning a bigger contract in the future than the Spurs can. 

Yeah, I was thinking that was about the only thing we can say, but I'm curious how much more playing time he will get here. I assume more than with the Spurs, but how much more. I'm curious what Bud's real plan is for him.

• Admin

Yes, right now PT, opportunity and salary are more important to a guy like Baz then a championship ready team.

• Like 1

Ok I see the big deal in this kid Bazemore now!

He barely played on GS and when he was traded in Feb. to LA this kid turned on the light switch and just went off!

The hype is just potential but I trust coach bud and ferrys opinion and if coach bud feels strong about this guy than great! After all bud did speak with him last week face to face (I think I read that)

Anyways check out dudes game log after being traded and actually getting minutes on the floor: http://m.espn.go.com/nba/playergamelog?playerId=6637&season=2014&month=2

No wonder are fans are hyped. Young guy with good size, very aggressive on defense, good athletic ability, his shot is questionable but in LA when he got time on the court he was 37 percent on the 3ball....I don't know guys he may develop to be something very special! Looks like he just need two things......

-another opportunity (check)

-good coaching (check)

Bring him home ferry! It's about time we have actually 2 guards with size!

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

Kent would be a good pickup.  I think he'll go with the best offer and I don't think that will be the Hawks.  It's a long shot, but maybe Bud and Ferry were able to sell him on the organization and development program.