• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who would you rather have? (Deng vs. Stephenson)

GameTime

Who would you rather have? (Deng vs. Stephenson poll)  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

You could add a Stephenson, but it would have to be a situation similar to the Bulls when they added Rodman... some personalities have to be mitigated by stronger personalities, and I'm not sure we have those right now. Sure, we have positive high-character guys, but they aren't the kind whose very presence essentially forces a quirky player to be accountable.

• Like 1

Lance but hawks aren't showing interest so I can deal with deng.

I voted Lance and us not showing interest potentially means we are flying in stealth mode ( which I still doubt ). Per reports via the media it seems like we want Deng bad and Deng wants 12/mill a year and we cant find common ground yet. Who knows what happens to our cap if we sign this Bazemore dude. LBJ needs to make his deal so the mad dash can begin. 

I keep voting for Lance, but he scares hell out out me. The PJ Harriston story makes me even more nervous.

If the Hawks sign him I don't think Ferry or Bud will ever get a good nights sleep. I'm just waiting for this guy to punch a teammate or a citizen.

With that being said the Hawks need to take smart risk. I would try to sign him to a contract with a conduct clause that gives us an out if he's arrested or misses games due to his conduct. Basketball wise he's a great fit.

I may even offer him more if he agrees to a deal with a conduct clause. It's that even legal in the NBA CBA?

It ain't even close for me. I never watched Deng and said "whoa, that kid is talented." He's just a consummate professional, a great glue guy/ leader by example, exceptionally conditioned, long as hell, and trustworthy. Dirk and Z-Bo took huge discounts and are at 10 mill I believe. 12 for Deng is pretty ludicrous to me. We need Jordan Hill thrown in at that number.

When I watch Lance my eyes pop out at least twice a game. Arguably the best natural passing 2 in the league, with great size and ballhandling skills. With a full home crowd behind him, he's sheer electricity. Backs down from no challenge, defends like a pit when he wants to. I'm pretty sure everytime he rebounds and pushes it results in at least a point for his team. His only weaknesses come from between the ears and can hopefully be fixed by Bud and well offset by all the tools he has to cultivate. If he acts right (which is a stretch, I know), in this system, at 10 a year? That's a historic steal. The locker room is full of high character guys who seem easy to get along and gel with, so his personality and maturity issues can be subdued here I think.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

You could add a Stephenson, but it would have to be a situation similar to the Bulls when they added Rodman... some personalities have to be mitigated by stronger personalities, and I'm not sure we have those right now. Sure, we have positive high-character guys, but they aren't the kind whose very presence essentially forces a quirky player to be accountable.

I think Korver is a strong leader. He seems to be a no BS, all business player from what I have seen of him on the court. Bud appears to be that kind of coach as well; Schröder became non existent after he hit Cousins below the belt. I don't think Bud has a high tolerance for bs antics and he might be able to reign Lance in.

Then again, Ferry and Bud's tolerance levels could very well be why we have not been rumored to have any interest in him.

Edited by Buzzard

I'd let Deng choose between 2 options:

2 year / $23 mill deal split evenly at $11.5 mill for each year.

3 year $30 mill deal structured as $11.5 mill / $10 mill / $8.5 mill.

If Deng wants more than I sign Bazemore for pennies on  the dollar.

• Like 1

Easy decision for me.  Lance hands down.  

Heck even if you switched their salaries around I still want Lance.

• Premium Member

Lance needs the right coach and environment to settle him down.  I don't think we have the structure here to contain him.  Quite the opposite.  I think coming from the level of success and attention he found in Indiana, he is susceptible to the "big fish/small pond" syndrome that plagued Smoove.

Neither of these guys puts us over, but if I have to choose...I'd take Deng.  He doesn't have the potential or the flair, but he is THE guy for this system - he's perfect.  I like Lance's toughness, competitiveness, and flair.  He's been impressive, but not to the point that some people gush over him.  He's a nice complementary player if he can contain his attitude and play on the court to the ROLE of a complementary player.  Which he would certainly not see himself as for the Hawks.  

IF he'd even come here.

• Like 1