• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford / Millsap - Why Keep Both?

JackB1

I don't understand why we don't trade one of these guys to get a real center?  Ideally I would love to keep Horf at the PF and trade Milsap for a real center.  Why isn't this on anyone's radar?  Horford is running out of time and needs to play power forward at some point.  The physical strain of playing center is probably what is causing all these injuries.  

• Moderators

I don't think a lot of people agree with you that Horford playing center is a bad thing.   A lot on here may but obviously the hawks don't.  We're on coach number three and gm number 3 and none of them have seen getting Horford to the 4 as a priority.   Mainly because he's one of the best centers in the league.   I mean the centers in the finals were splitter, diaw, bosh, and birdman.   You don't see them getting injured because of the strain.

• Like 2

If it was that easy it would have been done by now. I can't think of a starting caliber center who is on the trading block.

Horford is coming off an injury so his trade stock is at a low. Milsap is a undersized PF, who is 29, on an expiring contract..............its hard to trade undersized PFs for a legit starting center.

Edited by coachx

I don't understand why we don't trade one of these guys to get a real center? Ideally I would love to keep Horf at the PF and trade Milsap for a real center. Why isn't this on anyone's radar? Horford is running out of time and needs to play power forward at some point. The physical strain of playing center is probably what is causing all these injuries.

Not on anyone's radar? Search my posts dude. I've been preaching for us to trade Millsap for a week. We won't resign him Bc he will cost too much. His best value is as a good player with an expiring contract. We should package him and a first for a stud. I've been saying Greg Monroe but there may be other options. We have to trade Millsap either this offseason or at the deadline to a WC contender.

If it was that easy it would have been done by now. I can't think of a starting caliber center who is on the trading block.

Horford is coming off an injury so his trade stock is at a low. Milsap is a undersized PF, who is 29, on an expiring contract..............its hard to trade undersized PFs for a legit starting center.

I know I'll get killed for this but *gulp* Hibbert's available.

I agree with @macdaddy though.  Horford is a center.  The problem is he doesn't seem to see it that way.  Trading him or facilitating a move to PF would seemingly be done as an appeasement to get him to re-sign after his deal's done.  Should they do it?  I don't think so.  If he indicates he won't re-sign they need to just go ahead and trade him for the best deal possible.

• Premium Member

I don't understand why we don't trade one of these guys to get a real center?  Ideally I would love to keep Horf at the PF and trade Milsap for a real center.  Why isn't this on anyone's radar?  Horford is running out of time and needs to play power forward at some point.  The physical strain of playing center is probably what is causing all these injuries.  

Welcome to the conversation Jack.

I agree with your take.  Most of the league think that it will fair well without a true Center so they are happy keeping Horford there.  However, as time goes on, more real Centers sneak into the league and soon teams without one will suffer.   I mean:  Drummond, Jordan, The Lopez brothers, Anthony Davis, Gortat, Noel, Hibbert, Embiid, Monroe and even Noah.  This is the future.  Right now, many of them suffer because they went to lottery teams.  But soon, talent surrounding them will be good enough for them to lead to the resurgence of the dominant big man.

So what about us.  We're stuck believing that everybody will play Diaw and M. Morris at C and we will dominant because Horf has strength.  When you talk about mileage... Horf has that too. He plays somewhat out of position but he has done well with it because of the lack of bigs.

Unfortunately, I don't think Horf is a PF.  I mean, I know that he plays PNP and PNR in the high post... but I believe you are what you can guard.  Can Horf guard PFs in today's game?  I dunno.

• Moderators

I agree with @macdaddy though.  Horford is a center.  The problem is he doesn't seem to see it that way.  Trading him or facilitating a move to PF would seemingly be done as an appeasement to get him to re-sign after his deal's done.  Should they do it?  I don't think so.  If he indicates he won't re-sign they need to just go ahead and trade him for the best deal possible.

He's made very few comments about wanting to play power forward.   His dad has probably made more.   But the nba has changed even since he's been in the league.   The thing is where is he going to go where he will play the 4?   Nowhere really. 

He's made very few comments about wanting to play power forward.   His dad has probably made more.   But the nba has changed even since he's been in the league.   The thing is where is he going to go where he will play the 4?   Nowhere really. 

Maybe you're right.  The Horf-to-PF movement is quite vocal but maybe not necessarily from him.  It irks me to no end hearing analysts opine about Horford playing out of position.

!st of all, no one has an extra center on their bench to trade to us...Secondly, we may have to keep Millsap around after seeing how hard it is for us to attract veteran free agent...And Thirdly, we have Walter!

Good point..............and after watching Hibbert  mentally fall a part last season I 'd prefer Milsap .

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the conversation Jack.

I agree with your take.  Most of the league think that it will fair well without a true Center so they are happy keeping Horford there.  However, as time goes on, more real Centers sneak into the league and soon teams without one will suffer.   I mean:  Drummond, Jordan, The Lopez brothers, Anthony Davis, Gortat, Noel, Hibbert, Embiid, Monroe and even Noah.  This is the future.  Right now, many of them suffer because they went to lottery teams.  But soon, talent surrounding them will be good enough for them to lead to the resurgence of the dominant big man.

So what about us.  We're stuck believing that everybody will play Diaw and M. Morris at C and we will dominant because Horf has strength.  When you talk about mileage... Horf has that too. He plays somewhat out of position but he has done well with it because of the lack of bigs.

Unfortunately, I don't think Horf is a PF.  I mean, I know that he plays PNP and PNR in the high post... but I believe you are what you can guard.  Can Horf guard PFs in today's game?  I dunno.

But what's the definition here?   I think this is only an issue because Horford mentioned it once.   What's the difference physically between Horford, Monroe, Noah, Davis.  It ain't that much.   Gortat's standing reach is less than Brand's.   HIbbert is the most 'classic' center in the league and he was so badly exposed as an achilles heal in the playoffs that Indy is desperate to unload him.  He's not the center you want in today's nba.  Horford is.

But the really the reason Horford is such a good center is that there aren't many Shaqs in the league to guard.   I mean if 90% of the other teams are employing converted PFs at center then where is all this supposed punishment coming from?

• Like 1

Our system doesn't rely on the need of a true center. We need floor spacers that can open up lanes for slashers. Why would you look to trade two all-stars in Al and Paul? Why when we have good players for a change do we need to trade them..? Its ludicrous and anti - championship building. Makes no sense. Please stop the blind general managing.

• Like 1

Not sure I'm following you here. I've seen Al Horford guard Rajon Rondo on the perimeter in a playoff game. Why do you think he can't guard PF's? He's quick enough to guard wing players and strong enough to guard centers.

He is absolutely one of the most mobile and best defensive bigs in the game. He really only struggles against guys that outweigh him by 30 plus pounds and or out reach him by a foot. Even when this is the case he usually scores enough to neutralize his opponent.

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

We could have signed Jefferson last year and there would not be in a discussion of this.  

@hawksfanatic do you have a stat site that lists PPP in transition for players? I've got a feeling our bigs are high up the ladder on that and that's why we prefer agile bigs who can run the floor, vs the lumbering types like Jefferson who don't do anything for you in transition. 

@hawksfanatic do you have a stat site that lists PPP in transition for players? I've got a feeling our bigs are high up the ladder on that and that's why we prefer agile bigs who can run the floor, vs the lumbering types like Jefferson who don't do anything for you in transition.

I have no idea, but nbawowy might have that. Not sure if it lists for all teams though.