• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks interested in Trevor Ariza

GameTime

Screw it. Lets take a risk and get lance. I'm on board. 

Exactly. Our floor is 7th-8th seed. I can't see a scenario(minus extreme injuries) that would keep us out of the playoffs. So whats the point in playing it safe? So you sign Lance and he doesn't work out. Well theres still a 90% chance you're in the playoffs, and thats no different than last year. So what do you have to lose? At worst we stay the same, IMO. At best he becomes an All Star. 

I think Deng/Ariza make us a second round lock. Lance gives us a first round exit floor, but an ECF ceiling. We've got the shot. Gotta have the balls to take it. 

Ariza would be a great signing if he plays like he did last season. He is only 28.

You guys who have all your hopes tied to RFA must realize its rare that they leave. Cleveland offered Hayward and the Mavs offered Parsons but their teams are expected to match these offers.

You have to give an offer first for it to even work. Which is what we are hoping for.

Screw it. Lets take a risk and get lance. I'm on board. 

well to be honest, if we could get a talent like him at a bit of a discount....it would be the ultimate challenge for coach Bud.

...I just don't see it happening though....not with the locker room baggage which I think will devalue him far more than his on-court attitude/antics.  Guys don't trust guys who screw other guys' wives.  It demonstrates a distinct lack of character.  Especially if the guy doing it can have any of a hundred hotties at the club.

Edited by DJlaysitup

well to be honest, if we could get a talent like him at a bit of a discount....it would be the ultimate challenge for coach Bud.

...I just don't see it happening though....not with the locker room baggage which I think will devalue him far more than his on-court attitude. Guys don't like guys who screw other guys' wives.

I thought Paul George was the one rumored to be messing with Hibbert's wife?
  • Like 2

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2054543-paul-george-responds-to-latest-rumors-with-instagram-photo

Yeah it was apparently George. 

I just don't feel like Hibbert/West/George are the strongest locker room leaders. I think Lance could do much better in a different environment. Not saying it has to be here. Theres just something about Indy I find odd. 

• Like 2

I thought Paul George was the one rumored to be messing with Hibbert's wife?

Wow...then my fault and I apologize to Lance (as I'm sure he reads my posts).

Well if the kid is just a  nut I say - Let's go for it !!

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 3

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2054543-paul-george-responds-to-latest-rumors-with-instagram-photo

Yeah it was apparently George.

I just don't feel like Hibbert/West/George are the strongest locker room leaders. I think Lance could do much better in a different environment. Not saying it has to be here. Theres just something about Indy I find odd.

I agree. Indy to me is a team that's mentally fractured. When the face of the franchise is in the headlines for the wrong reasons, your team is going to have some issues.
  • Like 1

Wow...then my fault and I apologize to Lance (as I'm sure he reads my posts).

Well if the kid is just a selfish player and a  nut I say - Let's go for it !!

I like that he plays like a nutcase. Gives entertainment and also adds on the court as a offensive and defensive tactic. A ball of energy on offense (which we have lacked this entire time IMO during our playoff core run) and gets under opponent's skin on defense.

• Like 2

I like that he plays like a nutcase. Gives entertainment and also adds on the court as a offensive and defensive tactic. A ball of energy on offense (which we have lacked this entire time IMO during our playoff core run) and gets under opponent's skin on defense.

Well and to be fair - I edited out the "selfish player" part because I'm not really sure he is.

• Like 1

Well and to be fair - I edited out the "selfish player" part because I'm not really sure he is.

There was a time, I think it was after the All Star break, that he started chucking up shots and trying to pad his stats for his impending free agency. I wouldn't be cool with that at all, but all the other stuff I think can be handled. 

I will be genuinely surprised if Stephenson ever makes an All Star team on his own merits. I think wanting him on this team screams desperation and I feel a guy like Ariza would be a much better fit with our team.

• Premium Member

At least if you sign Stephenson and he goes Hulk mode at a game he's not likely to be able to choke one of the 14 Hawks fans in attendance smile3.gif

Ran out of likes or I would have liked this one. I reached my quota for the first time ever! Lance would at least bring entertainment value. I think I am for Deng or Ariza, but if Bud/Ferry feel that Lance fits, I'm totally with it!

• Like 1

Ran out of likes or I would have liked this one. I reached my quota for the first time ever! Lance would at least bring entertainment value. I think I am for Deng or Ariza, but if Bud/Ferry feel that Lance fits, I'm totally with it!

You know if you become a Hawksquawk supporter you could get more "likes" to use. Not to mention other perks.

Edited by Spud2Nique

• Premium Member

I can tell that you haven't been a Hawks fan for too long.

If you had, you would have remember Isaiah Rider.. don't call me J.R.  He is Lance Stephenson the first.  A guy that has talent and was entertaining but was a lockerroom cancer.  The acquisition of Rider is a memorial to us that says sometimes character matters.

You ever wonder why the Spurs didn't win without Duncan?  Before Duncan came, the Spurs had Rodman.  He also was a character.   Very entertaining.  However, Rodman couldn't be contained.  He had championship credentials and he played above his potential but those nutcases rarely fall in line.  I'm watching us play Indy and I don't know how many times Lance exiled himself to the stationary bike.  He's on the floor tripping players, pulling shorts... this guy is about to blow... his teammate knows this.  They shot him  a cheap deal in order to trade him.

Now, let's get to his actual play.. because that's been forgotten.

He gets ~ 14, 4, and 7 in a contract year.  Prior to that he was a 9, 3, and 4 guy with 6 less mpg.  The key word here is contract year.  In their contract year, guys raise up the effort.  We see that with Stephenson.  He rebounded more this year than he had previously.  That's not guaranteed to happen.

14 points in 35mpg  shooting 35% from three?  You want us to pay 10+ Million dollars for a guy who scores 14 points in 35 mpg?

The funny thing is that DMC puts up very similar stats as Lance... (Per 36 and Advanced)

<PRE>                                                                                                                                      
Rk             Player  Season Age  G GS   MP  FG  FGA  FG%  3P 3PA  3P%  2P 2PA  2P%  FT FTA  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV  PF  PTS
1     DeMarre Carroll 2013-14  27 73 73 2341 4.6  9.9 .470 1.5 4.1 .362 3.2 5.8 .548 1.7 2.2 .773 1.6 4.6 6.2 2.1 1.7 0.3 1.2 2.9 12.5
2    Lance Stephenson 2013-14  23 78 78 2752 5.6 11.4 .491 1.1 3.2 .352 4.5 8.2 .545 1.8 2.6 .711 1.2 6.1 7.3 4.7 0.7 0.1 2.7 2.6 14.1
</PRE>

<PRE>                                                                                                                                      
Rk             Player  Season Age  G   MP  PER  TS% eFG%  FTr 3PAr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS  WS WS/48
1     DeMarre Carroll 2013-14  27 73 2341 13.9 .575 .546 .220 .417  5.3 14.5 10.0  8.9  2.3  0.7 10.1 15.2  113  106 3.2 2.6 5.8  .119
2    Lance Stephenson 2013-14  23 78 2752 14.7 .564 .540 .226 .280  4.1 18.1 11.4 22.1  1.0  0.2 18.0 19.4  106  101 2.6 4.8 7.4  .130
</PRE>

Why should we pay 10+ Million, when DeMarre can do very similar at 2?

• Like 2

^ I was talking directly about the Joe Johnson/Josh Smith/Al Horford core led teams that have been on this playoff run. I have been a fan since the mid-90s, I'm in my 20s if you needed to know. I remember clearly J.R. Rider.

• Moderators

RZA's my favorite free agent guy out there, especially for the possibility of snatching him away from a division rival, but The Ghost of The Houston Contract still hovers over him. And that was just a jump from $3.8 to $5.9 million (to be fair, media attention to his Houston dropoff probably was amplified, since he the team he left was the NBA champion Lakers). Anything approaching $12 million (average) at his age is a little rich. Hopefully, it's another declining-salary offer on the table.

~lw3