• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If you're like me, you're thinking $9.5 mil for Thad Young is looking mighty good right now

sturt

Agreed! What so we just get the leftovers at discounted prices like usual. Big deal. We need to sign an impact player for once and if you have to overspend a little then so be it. I mean Parsons and Hayward are not even 24yrs old and will be all stars. I agree 15mil is high but I would do it for either one of them since they haven't reached their ceiling and are already borderline all stars. Plugging either of these guys in at SF instantly makes us ECF contenders if we stay healthy

Now we are talking about Gallinari? Talk about an overpaid bum. Good lord

Care to make a bet on Hayward and Parsons being All-Stars?  And overpaid bum, really?  Not only is Gallinari YOUNGER than Parsons but he's also making 25% less money than either of these "All-Stars". 

Gallinari is better across the board than these guys. Health is the only concern with him.

Rk Player Season Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS ▾
1 Danilo Gallinari 2012-13 24 71 71 2309 5.7 13.6 .418 2.1 5.6 .373 3.6 7.9 .450 4.5 5.4 .822 1.0 4.7 5.7 2.7 1.0 0.6 1.7 2.0 17.9
2 Gordon Hayward 2013-14 23 77 77 2800 5.5 13.3 .413 1.1 3.6 .304 4.4 9.7 .453 4.0 4.9 .816 0.8 4.2 5.0 5.1 1.4 0.5 2.7 2.0 16.0
3 Chandler Parsons 2013-14 25 74 74 2783 6.0 12.8 .472 1.7 4.5 .370 4.3 8.2 .528 2.1 2.9 .742 0.9 4.4 5.3 3.9 1.1 0.4 1.9 2.2 15.9
Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table

Generated 7/9/2014.

Rk Player Season Age G MP PER TS% eFG% FTr 3PAr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48 ▾
1 Danilo Gallinari 2012-13 24 71 2309 16.7 .561 .495 .400 .416 3.2 14.4 8.9 11.2 1.4 1.2 9.8 21.3 116 107 5.2 2.0 7.2 .151
2 Chandler Parsons 2013-14 25 74 2783 15.9 .565 .538 .224 .356 2.9 12.8 8.2 17.3 1.6 0.8 11.7 19.3 114 108 5.1 2.5 7.6 .131
3 Gordon Hayward 2013-14 23 77 2800 16.2 .520 .454 .369 .271 2.5 14.0 8.0 24.1 2.1 1.1 15.0 23.1 104 111 2.2 1.5 3.6 .062
Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table

Generated 7/9/2014.

Monroe, Hayward, and Parsons would all help this team. If they get overpaid so be it. Millsap was a steal and is underpaid so it would balance itself out.

Hayward or Parsons improve this team much more than Thabo and another scrapheap player Ferry signs.

That's a dangerous mentality for a GM to have. You don't sign a player to a contract if you don't believe they'll ever live up to it.
  • Like 3

Gallinari played almost the whole season last year and he was basically a better version of Korver. I don't know that you can trust his health but when he's healthy he's a very talented player.

This is laughable! Better version than Korver? Gallinari is a career 36% shooter from 3pt range and before last yr he played a total of 100 games combined from 2010-2012 in 3 seasons. He is nowhere near as good a shooter as Korver and extremely injury prone to boot. No thanks

• Premium Member

Gallinari played almost the whole season last year and he was basically a better version of Korver. I don't know that you can trust his health but when he's healthy he's a very talented player. 

"The reconstructive surgery on Danilo Gallinari's left knee cost the Denver forward all of the 2013-14 season and proved to be a crushing blow to a Nuggets team that also lost Andre Iguodala to Golden State and saw starting center JaVale McGee (leg) limited to only five games." - ESPN Insider http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3428/danilo-gallinari

Edited by turnermx

This is laughable! Better version than Korver? Gallinari is a career 36% shooter from 3pt range and before last yr he played a total of 100 games combined from 2010-2012 in 3 seasons. He is nowhere near as good a shooter as Korver and extremely injury prone to boot. No thanks

Did I say he was a better 3pt shooter than Korver? RIF! He's a better all around player than Korver, when he's healthy. 

@Dolfan23 No he didn't - he missed the entire season with ACL surgery. He had a partially torn ACL the season before that ended up requiring surgery at the start of last season.

"The reconstructive surgery on Danilo Gallinari's left knee cost the Denver forward all of the 2013-14 season and proved to be a crushing blow to a Nuggets team that also lost Andre Iguodala to Golden State and saw starting center JaVale McGee (leg) limited to only five games." - ESPN Insider http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3428/danilo-gallinari

Whoops my bad I didn't see it was 2012-2013 he played 71 games. I take that back then no I would not trade for him coming off of ACL surgery as he's at least a year away from being healthy. 

@Dolfan23 No he didn't - he missed the entire season with ACL surgery. He had a partially torn ACL the season before that ended up requiring surgery at the start of last season.

See above...

• Like 1

Dude, Gallinari didn't play AT ALL last year! What are u smoking. This guy is a joke and how much is he getting paid per yr right now? Oh yeah he made 11.5mil last yr and didn't even play.

Dude, Gallinari didn't play AT ALL last year! What are u smoking. This guy is a joke and how much is he getting paid per yr right now? Oh yeah he made 11.5mil last yr and didn't even play.

Again, look above. Simple mistake. Point still stands that his last healthy season was better than Parsons and Hayward this season. 

But I've said above that now knowing he's coming off the ACL surgery I wouldn't sign him. 

I'd like some of what you're smoking though thinking those 3rd tier guys will be All-Stars. 

• Like 1

Again, look above. Simple mistake. Point still stands that his last healthy season was better than Parsons and Hayward this season. 

But I've said above that now knowing he's coming off the ACL surgery I wouldn't sign him. 

I'd like some of what you're smoking though thinking those 3rd tier guys will be All-Stars.

Well we can agree to disagree. I guess legit franchises like Dallas who have actually won a title are just not as smart as the Hawks offering Parsons 15mil at only 3 yrs mind you. Lol

• Moderators

I don't buy Young as a 3 defensively and they need to drag his Josh Smith shooting rear away from that 3pt line. He hasn't even averaged 30% from 3 over the last 4 seasons.

I don't buy Young as a 3 defensively and they need to drag his Josh Smith shooting rear away from that 3pt line. He hasn't even averaged 30% from 3 over the last 4 seasons.

There you go captain derailer is here again. Look here Jack this is a Danilo Gallinari topic, not some Thad Young / Karl Malone topic. {/sarcasm}

• Moderators

Has played SF and should play SF are two completely different topics when it comes to Thad Young.  He isn't versatile like Lebron or Melo is versatile at playing SF/PF.  He isn't a strong enough shooter to play both 3 & 4.  Thad Young is at his best playing in the PnR and off the ball.  Not SF type play.

Also from Philly.com:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Thad-Youngs-value-to-76ers-on-film.html

• Moderators

We might as well move Millsap to SF if were actually considering Thad. I think he could handle it too.

Millsap's shooting ability is the only reason I'd consider trying him out there.  He isn't quick enough to defend the 3 nor is he quick enough offense to blow by defenders.  Millsap is best jacking up 3 pointers or snagging rebounds for garbage buckets.  I mean, how many SF's in the league are the pick in the PnR/P?

• Premium Member

Thanks, pst...

Before this year, Young’s major weakness was an inability to shoot from the outside. Under Collins’ mandate, he eschewed the long ball, only attempting 34 three-pointers over three seasons. While the “no threes” directive was intended to focus Young on attacking the basket, he still attempted about three 16-23 footers per game during that span, only making around 37 percent of them.

This season, Young has already launched 66 threes, adding another weapon to his already impressive arsenal. Even better, he’s making 41 percent of them. For a player that has always worked so well in tight spaces, being able to utilize the three-point line (and really, the whole floor) makes life that much easier.

Of course, he cooled some from the 41% indicated here. But it's noted that, in years when he's actually been asked to make it part of his arsenal (ie 100+ attempts), he's 33%... won't be confused with Kyle Korver any time soon, but I've always understood 33% to be average.

Someone mentioned Millsap above... it's my contention that, in Young, you essentially get Paul Millsap in a more SF-like body... and, notably, a 3 year younger body, too.

Millsap's shooting ability is the only reason I'd consider trying him out there. He isn't quick enough to defend the 3 nor is he quick enough offense to blow by defenders. Millsap is best jacking up 3 pointers or snagging rebounds for garbage buckets. I mean, how many SF's in the league are the pick in the PnR/P?

You know,I haven't been watching basketball for to long, but the game has changed. He can hold his own against guys like Lebron or Carmelo. He wouldn't play there full time, but I think he could get by for parts of a game.

And as far as offense, his handles are good enough for a SF. It wouldn't be the biggest part of his game, but he can hit a jump shot as well as work inside. It all comes down to how urgent the team is to move Al to PF. I'd guess it's not a pressing need.