• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Keep our books beauitful!

ATL_BALLER

There have been a lot of FA threads of late, so apologies if this has already been said ad nauseam:

With the contracts being doled out—Parsons being the latest overpay—I think we absolutely need to stand pat, unless Deng miraculously takes below market value to team up with old friends and a winning system.

Just because we have money doesn’t mean we have to spend it (yet)—and at the going rates, the remaining crop of talent is uninspiring. I’d make a modest bet on an upside play like Bazemore, but beyond that, keep the roster fluid and flexibile and wait for the inevitable cap casualties (now or during the season). We’ve seen the benefit of preserving cap space simply to absorb a contract with a nice asset(s) attached—Boston just scored a young 7 footer and a 1st simply for absorbing Thornton’s deal.

In today’s day and age—and for our situation specifically—I think that’s a perfectly viable strategy.

• Like 4

I hope we are able to make a signing soon, or the Nets suck, or the JJ trade will end up to be pointless. And possibly bad. I'm not a huge JJ fan and he for sure isn't worth 20 million but we were a 2nd round playoff team with him and not the greatest coach. In 2017 if we aren't any better, what was the point? We have cap space every year and it doesnt seem to make a difference. I make this point under the assumption that we still could have swapped Joshs contract for Millsap and DMC.

Teague

JJ or korver

Korver or DMC

Millsap

Horford

Also a drew for Bud trade

Is that team not better than what we have now?

Edited by Afro
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Agreed....but we gotta start making moves at some point

Healthy Horford

Healthy Jenkins

Thabo -for- Martin

Payne -for- Ayón

if the Hawks simply re-sign Mack and Scott, the roster will be improved. The only negative would be the loss of Brand. All other players excluding Antić and Korver are in their prime or younger.

Obviously, the Hawks need another wing, but they shouldn't feel desperate.

I can dig it. I'm all for upgrading talent just so long as it doesn't upset the outstanding chemistry we had. Most coaches and GMs have no clue about how to mesh egos, skill sets, schemes, and shot distribution, which is why we've seen so many stacked teams have embarrassing ends to their seasons in recent memory. With all the "talent" the Clippers and Rockets supposedly had, they went from sexy contenders when the season started (let the media tell it, I knew both would do nothing) to unceremonious first and second round exits.

It's pretty easy to tell when a guy is full of himself, and those are the types of guys Spurs People (ie Dan and Bud) loathe. If the Spurs get Gasol, what LeBron, Melo, Love, or any other of these divas does is irrelevant, as if it isn't already with Timmy and Pop back on deck.

Fans sure loves when franchises saves their money. Cap space isn't winning us any more games. Keeping space open for a star to walk on this team is a dream. Trading and drafting is our way in. Saving cap space is fine and all, when you have a plan. 3rd off-season. Howard, Paul, Melo, Lebron, Wade, and Bosh all passed us by during that time. Plan is failing if cap space for a free agent STAR was the plan.

• Like 1

Lebrons ego is expanding a bit. If that's possible. He's not leaving Miami. Not with 30 million on the table... It's Miami... Compared to Cleveland.? I've been in Ohio 37 years... Are you kidding me?

Fans sure loves when franchises saves their money. Cap space isn't winning us any more games. Keeping space open for a star to walk on this team is a dream. Trading and drafting is our way in. Saving cap space is fine and all, when you have a plan. 3rd off-season. Howard, Paul, Melo, Lebron, Wade, and Bosh all passed us by during that time. Plan is failing if cap space for a free agent STAR was the plan.

Clearly for us it's not about betting the star - it's about capitalizing on the collateral damage from others pursuing the stars: 1st round picks and up and coming talent that we can potentially turn into our own stars.

Edited by ATL_BALLER

Clearly for us it's not about betting the star - it's about capitalizing on the collateral damage from others pursuing the stars: 1st round picks and up and coming talent that we can potentially turn into our own stars.

Need to get on that then. Ferry hasn't drafted well, and hasn't collected that collateral damage. 3rd off-season, needs to start that direction, no?

Couldn't have said it better. We're just impatient with this 24 hour news cycle, but I'm sure Ferry will give us a jolt here in a minute.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

I would rather save cap space then have 12 million a year tied up into an beaten down Deng. Rather have the money available next year.

• Like 2