• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why not Lance! [Update: signs with Charlotte 3yrs / 27 million]

lush23

You know what maybe your right I am a homer. All I'm saying is I think our coaching and system is better than before and we develop players much better as well. Just look at what they did with DMC. If the player development continues with Dennis, Baze, Thabo and the rest, we are in good shape.

I like our system better now too.  It's only been a year though so I'm not as sold that we can develop the guys you listed into impact guys that we need.

For me:

1. Fit

2. Talent

3. Impact

Fit is the most important thing for me.

As for my liking Smoove/Horf over Sap/Horf is simple. Our best offensive play since Bibby left was High/lo with Smoove and Horf. It worked perfectly with those two. Now Smoove held up the offense and made horrible decisions but that's Smoove. Sap on the other hand doesn't provide Horf any help on defense like Smoove and his offense is usually in the same area as Horf. They don't fit. Smoove and Horf kinda fit. Not a great or ideal fit but a so-so fit.

Hi/lo Smoove Horf was a winner no doubt. But I'm not sure if it was worth Smoove jacking up 20 dumb shots a game. Sap/Horf only played 29 games together. They could possibly be working on a tandem play for themselves as we speak. Give them a chance.

Hi/lo Smoove Horf was a winner no doubt. But I'm not sure if it was worth Smoove jacking up 20 dumb shots a game. Sap/Horf only played 29 games together. They could possibly be working on a tandem play for themselves as we speak. Give them a chance.

I hated it. I usually can tell if I like a fit after 10 games. It doesn't change much either after that point either. Maybe you get better but fit is fit. It's like shoes, do you need 20 days to decide shoes don't fit? 

I hated it. I usually can tell if I like a fit after 10 games. It doesn't change much either after that point either. Maybe you get better but fit is fit. It's like shoes, do you need 20 days to decide shoes don't fit?

So an NBA franchise finding chemistry on the court together is the same as you trying on a pair of Chuck Taylor converse all stars (low top)?

So an NBA franchise finding chemistry on the court together is the same as you trying on a pair of Chuck Taylor converse all stars (low top)?

No, it was just me saying you don't need time to see a fit unless you have no experience at the said job. 

I'm not even mad.  It's just disappointing.   When I saw that Charlotte was meeting with him last night, I thought they might get him with a 3 - 30 or overpay for a 3 - 36 deal.   But to get him a 3 - 27 . . with a player option in Year 3?   Wow.   Incredible.

And people wonder why I will NOT mention our GM by name, until he actually does something here.   LOL . . now I'm starting to get mad.   You got the damn CHARLOTTE BOBCATS making major moves over us, simply because they have a GM that knows what the hell he's doing.   CHARLOTTE . . . . FRIGGIN CHARLOTTE !!!

AND they could outbid everyone for Boozer.   If they knew they could sign Lance for 9 million, they had the room to bid 4 or 5 million for Boozer.   If they get him too . . . 

PG - Kemba

G - Stephenson

F - MKG ( or Marvin )

PF - Boozer

C - Jefferson

With a plethora of young guys coming off the bench.   Talk about a franchise that seems to have everything going right for them.

Yet, all fans around here can say is . . . "Oh . . . we're the Spurs East.   We're doing things like the Spurs.   We have the Spurs system, so everything will be alright."

Like I've been saying for over a year now, the rest of the NBA is NOT going to wait around for us to be good.  They're going to make moves and put themselves in positions to become a better team.

3 years - 27 million huh?   

Wow.

• Like 4

Well, I had already given up on the possibility of us signing him, but it's still disappointing. That contract looks like a perfect risk to take for someone as talented and "troubled" as Lance. If he breaks out in Charlotte then they're going to be really tough to beat, but I don't think that's a great situation for young guard trying to mature and hone his skills. I still think we're a better team. 

Gotta laugh at the people who are and will be upset about someone else signing Lance for 9 million. Newsflash, if he were worth having on the team, Bird would have kept him around. 

Now that doesn't mean he won't do good things in Charlotte and make them better, but there's a reason why the Pacers put in almost no effort to retain him. 

• Like 1

Gotta laugh at the people who are and will be upset about someone else signing Lance for 9 million. Newsflash, if he were worth having on the team, Bird would have kept him around.

Now that doesn't mean he won't do good things in Charlotte and make them better, but there's a reason why the Pacers put in almost no effort to retain him.

Didn't you say we should take a look at him a few days ago?

• Like 1

Didn't you say we should take a look at him a few days ago?

I've never wanted Lance on this team because of the many off the court issues. I can't remember my exact words but basically said he'd make us better, which is true. But I've been accused of trying to frame him (or whatever the term was - damn I need coffee!!) with how much I've hated his child abusing woman beating self :)

Newsflash . . . the reason why Indy couldn't retain him is 

1) he's an unrestricted free agent

2) Indiana flat out has said that they will NOT pay the Luxury Tax

3) Bird is not GOD . . especially as a front office person

That Pacers front office is nothing special.   Overpaid Hibbert.  Overpaid Hill.   Got rid of Granger, who was willing to take a secondary role on the team, and was one of the veteran leaders on the team.  Brought in Evan Turner, which started the chemistry breakup.  Brought in Andrew Bynum, which was catastrophic to the psyche of Hibbert.

They're nothing special as a front office.

You got the Charlotte fan base acting like they signed Jordan.

You got the Pacers fan base mad as hell at Lance and at the front office

And you got our fan base asking . . WTF . . 3 years - 27 million . . and we couldn't match that?

Watch that kid next year Dol.   Watch how he develops into a damn good player . . a possible All-Star one.

• Like 1

I've never wanted Lance on this team because of the many off the court issues. I can't remember my exact words but basically said he'd make us better, which is true. But I've been accused of trying to frame him (or whatever the term was - damn I need coffee!!) with how much I've hated his child abusing woman beating self :)

Haha frame works for me.

It's just odd that he would make us better, but now that's he's going elsewhere "there's a reason bird let him go"

• Like 1

Newsflash . . . the reason why Indy couldn't retain him is 

1) he's an unrestricted free agent

2) Indiana flat out has said that they will NOT pay the Luxury Tax

3) Bird is not GOD . . especially as a front office person

That Pacers front office is nothing special.   Overpaid Hibbert.  Overpaid Hill.   Got rid of Granger, who was willing to take a secondary role on the team, and was one of the veteran leaders on the team.  Brought in Evan Turner, which started the chemistry breakup.  Brought in Andrew Bynum, which was catastrophic to the psyche of Hibbert.

They're nothing special as a front office.

You got the Charlotte fan base acting like they signed Jordan.

You got the Pacers fan base mad as hell at Lance and at the front office

And you got our fan base asking . . WTF . . 3 years - 27 million . . and we couldn't match that?

Watch that kid next year Dol.   Watch how he develops into a damn good player . . a possible All-Star one.

I will be watching, and you may be right.  But now I don't have to feign pleasure cheering for a punk like that on my team. And yeah yeah I know he's super duper great as a basketball player but you know, I'm pretty happy with the quality of human beings that Ferry is putting together here forming this Hawks team. And I'm confident that he's building a contender while assembling good people as well. 

Oh and sure Bird isn't a God but to Lance he was his biggest advocate and unrestricted FA or not, if Bird wanted him back, Lance would have been back. 

Actually, they produced a movie to woo him. I do feel a pang of disappointment, because I think he was a great candidate to take a risk on (especially at that price) - but I figured it was a long-shot considering the character issues.

Haha frame works for me.

It's just odd that he would make us better, but now that's he's going elsewhere "there's a reason bird let him go"

He would make us more talented and probably better on the court, but he's not a Spurs type of player on or off the court. I'm riding with Ferry and Bud here over anything people are going to say in this thread. If Bud didn't go out of his way to say hey go get this guy then that's enough for me. He did for Thabo and while he's not nearly as sexy a signing, he's going to fit in very well with us. 

Now with all that being said, I want us to go out and make another move or two this offseason and use some of this cap space we have left. 

• Like 1