• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why not Lance! [Update: signs with Charlotte 3yrs / 27 million]

lush23

Newsflash . . . the reason why Indy couldn't retain him is 

1) he's an unrestricted free agent

2) Indiana flat out has said that they will NOT pay the Luxury Tax

3) Bird is not GOD . . especially as a front office person

That Pacers front office is nothing special.   Overpaid Hibbert.  Overpaid Hill.   Got rid of Granger, who was willing to take a secondary role on the team, and was one of the veteran leaders on the team.  Brought in Evan Turner, which started the chemistry breakup.  Brought in Andrew Bynum, which was catastrophic to the psyche of Hibbert.

They're nothing special as a front office.

You got the Charlotte fan base acting like they signed Jordan.

You got the Pacers fan base mad as hell at Lance and at the front office

And you got our fan base asking . . WTF . . 3 years - 27 million . . and we couldn't match that?

Watch that kid next year Dol.   Watch how he develops into a damn good player . . a possible All-Star one.

Even if all that happens, I still agree with Dolf, he wasn't a fit man. You wanted Jefferson and he went to his perfect fit. Now Lance is. It is what it is. 

• Like 3

Actually, they produced a movie to woo him. I do feel a pang of disappointment, because I think he was a great candidate to take a risk on (especially at that price) - but I figured it was a long-shot considering the character issues.

That's funny they did that but really corny. Sounds like something our old GM / staff would have done. If they wanted Lance back they would have done a lot more than that to show him. 

Of course who knows what's really going on in that locker room. Maybe his teammates really don't like him and he didn't want to keep playing there. 

I mean you don't let a triple double machine just entering his prime walk away for 9 million per season if there isn't SOMETHING else going on. My guess is that Lance isn't a good teammate and there was a combination of the Pacers and Lance not wanting the marriage to continue. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I have to agree with Dolf on Lance. I agree in a vacuum Lance is a good young player with a lot of upside but he's also a fairly deplorable human being and from reports a pretty bad teammate. He also is the #1 answer on the Family Feud question of "Which NBA player is the most likely to become the next JR Rider?"

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I am not upset. This offer isnt too far from what the Pacers already had on the table for Lance and if they wanted they could easily keep him without paying the tax by making a minor cap clearing trade. There is a reason they didnt do that and other teams other than the Hornets werent slobbering all over Lance and offering the max to guys like Hayward and Parsons instead.

Why wouldn't they? Hell, they have enough money to even throw out a decent bid for Boozer, now, if they haven't done it already.

Indy doesn't have salary capspace to place a bid on Boozer.

• Admin

There is a reason why the market was not big for Lance and why he didn't get paid what other free agents at his talent level was paid.

He is a great talent but he is trouble with a capitol T.  

If he can keep his head on straight he could be a great fit for Charlotte.  I wanted to see what Charlotte fans thought and went on realgm and they are not all that excited about it.  At least the posts I read.  I found that interesting.  

• Like 1

I fear what will happen if Stephenson shuts down Korver or Teague.

Those two things can really Eff up our offense.

Huh? He did a great job of that in the Indy playoff series didn't he? Not.

I have to agree with Dolf on Lance. I agree in a vacuum Lance is a good young player with a lot of upside but he's also a fairly deplorable human being and from reports a pretty bad teammate. He also is the #1 answer on the Family Feud question of "Which NBA player is the most likely to become the next JR Rider?"

Lol.  Survey says ....

I'll give Lance credit for one thing, he got Soth, @ and @Dolfan23 to agree on something.  Should we be scared.

Back on topic (kinda), Evan Turner time?

There is a reason why the market was not big for Lance and why he didn't get paid what other free agents at his talent level was paid.

He is a great talent but he is trouble with a capitol T.  

If he can keep his head on straight he could be a great fit for Charlotte.  I wanted to see what Charlotte fans thought and went on realgm and they are not all that excited about it.  At least the posts I read.  I found that interesting.  

Well our resident Hornets fan masquerading as a Hawks fan is pretty excited about it! 

Lol.  Survey says ....

I'll give Lance credit for one thing, he got Soth, @ and @Dolfan23 to agree on something.  Should we be scared.

Back on topic (kinda), Evan Turner time?

We don't need anymore non-starter quality wing players.  Turner is one of the least efficient shooters in the league and doesn't do much on D so I don't see the need for him. If we didn't have as much youth as we do at SG then I'd probably give him a look but I'd rather see what Patterson and Bazemore can do at this point. 

• Like 1

I was a huge proponent of going after him, but whatever. The Hornets don't scare me with or without him.

FA is still open (Bledsoe best available, right?) and trades are still available (Love, Thompson), but I need to see something from Ferry quick in the way of improving our talent and athletic size with guys who know how to play and aren't projects before I start to sour a bit on him, as Larry Coonin very well might if another stacked FA class passes by in 2015. Bud Is instantly one of the better coaches in the league, give him a real basketball player with talent and some brains, he'll make him fit.

We don't need anymore non-starter quality wing players.  Turner is one of the least efficient shooters in the league and doesn't do much on D so I don't see the need for him. If we didn't have as much youth as we do at SG then I'd probably give him a look but I'd rather see what Patterson and Bazemore can do at this point. 

I'd rather Turner over either of those two.  My stance is he's been misused.  I do like Patterson though.  Not a fan of Ken(sic) yet.

I'd rather Turner over either of those two.  My stance is he's been misused.  I do like Patterson though.  Not a fan of Ken(sic) yet.

He's not misused. He's a terrible shooter. How do you use a terrible shooter other than how Vogel did by putting him on the bench and nailing him there? 

He's not misused. He's a terrible shooter. How do you use a terrible shooter other than how Vogel did by putting him on the bench and nailing him there? 

He's not that bad.

Lance Stephenson in Indy - Colorful personality with some character issues

Lance Stephenson in Char -  Colorful personality with some character issues

Lance Stephenson in Atl - Trouble

Indy and Char do not provide the offcourt traps a city like Atlanta does.  If we brought him here I'm certain we see a Stephen Jackson type incident.   He couldn't have handled that money and this city and be the player we would need him to be. 

Even if all that happens, I still agree with Dolf, he wasn't a fit man. You wanted Jefferson and he went to his perfect fit. Now Lance is. It is what it is. 

You keep saying that he's not a fit . . . despite Lance possessing EVERYTHING this team needs in a wing player

- Can create his own offense

- Can be a facilitator in the offense

- Can play defense on both SGs and SFs

I have no idea why you keep saying that he wouldn't be a good fit on the court, when he has the all-around game that this team needed.