• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Payne being groomed to play C

Admin

Interesting from the game yesterday that they started Payne at C (and Moose as a stretch PF). He clearly has the length to play there but I'm not sure he's going to have the strength to play there. Of course opposing C's are going to have a nightmare trying to keep up with Payne being able to score from anywhere on the floor. 

My guess is this could be a precursor to Antić being dropped, assuming we can bring in another C who plays a little D and rebounds.  Payne is clearly a massive upgrade to Antić and that would open up more time for Scott to still get minutes at PF. 

Arnt him and horrors like the exact same size and weight

Him and Horford? They're pretty close to the same but Horford has a much thicker base to him. I believe that Payne has more of a reach and wingspan than Horford though. I would also guess Horford has much more strength. 

I said months ago he needed to tack on at least 10-15 pounds. He can still bang down low a bit, but going against bigger centers in the league, Payne would be in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Edy is being groomed to play C, not Payne

Well clearly Edy is going to be a C. The shock (to me) is that they ARE trying to play Payne at C. Different types of C's of course but he's being groomed to play there, at least right now he is. 

Well clearly Edy is going to be a C. The shock (to me) is that they ARE trying to play Payne at C. Different types of C's of course but he's being groomed to play there, at least right now he is.

I'm ok with this...I don't think it's shocking since he has center size he just needs to work on his lower body and he's young enough to get a stronger lower body.

I'm ok with Payne backing up horford and Scott backing up milsap...and dropping Pero.

Him and Horford? They're pretty close to the same but Horford has a much thicker base to him. I believe that Payne has more of a reach and wingspan than Horford though. I would also guess Horford has much more strength.

Horford is short and thick and Payne is long and skinny.-Jason Segel ..(I love u man)

Well he`s only what, one inch shorter than Horf? Maybe its just precautionary because of the Horf titty situation, worried about a possible third tear. (DEF not trying to jinx him/us, just saying that could be part if the thinking. ) Plus Bud loves big men who can shoot from outside like Sap and Muscala and Antić.

Well he`s only what, one inch shorter than Horf? Maybe its just precautionary because of the Horf titty situation, worried about a possible third tear. (DEF not trying to jinx him/us, just saying that could be part if the thinking. ) Plus Bud loves big men who can shoot from outside like Sap and Muscala and Antić.

According to draft express they're the exact same height in shoes.

Payne has a 4 inch longer wingspan but is about 10 pounds lighter.

Interesting from the game yesterday that they started Payne at C (and Moose as a stretch PF). He clearly has the length to play there but I'm not sure he's going to have the strength to play there. Of course opposing C's are going to have a nightmare trying to keep up with Payne being able to score from anywhere on the floor. 

My guess is this could be a precursor to Antić being dropped, assuming we can bring in another C who plays a little D and rebounds.  Payne is clearly a massive upgrade to Antić and that would open up more time for Scott to still get minutes at PF. 

I like it.  I don't see us dropping Antić this season but he's already an old man--not a long term answer.  If Payne can add a few pounds and get a bit stronger, I could see this working out.  I'm a big believer in Payne and Sparty products.

• Like 2

He was getting pushed off the block and off rebounds constantly by Khem Birch. Now I could understand Orton but Birch. On top of that, his man defense wasn't good at all but his team D was impressive. I see why we drafted him, I don't see the potential. I think he might be too weak to play PF in the NBA at first. I know he is too weak to ever play center. A weak core at that position is a no-no like a lack of lateral quickness at PF's in today's era.

I don't see him ever being solid at Center. I really don't see him being as good this year as Mike Scott was last year. Now he's more talented than Mike Scott and he's built for the PF position unlike Scott but he isn't much better right now.

He's not a good rebounder either. He does blockout which is good.

• Moderators

Atlanta and our stretch 5's... If Bargnani was still worth a damn, Ferry might have pulled the trigger on him by now.

I think Payne fits better at center than Horford does. They may be similar builds, but Horford has shied away from contact where Payne plays more like Rodman with a jumper. Payne may be our center of the future, especially if Horford bolts in 2016.

• Moderators

I like it. I don't see us dropping Antić this season but he's already an old man--not a long term answer. If Payne can add a few pounds and get a bit stronger, I could see this working out. I'm a big believer in Payne and Sparty products.

Tom Izzo FTW. Izzo is the best coach in college basketball. Better than Calapari and K. Go Sparty!

• Like 1

Could it be that it's just summer league and they want him and moose to start? Maybe he's not being groomed for playing center they just want guys projected to be on the roster in the line up?

I'll wait for a coach or GM to say he's projected to be a five. Everyone reads way too much into summer league every year.