• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks in the business of giving favors?

Diesel

• Premium Member

The Thabo SNT is one thing.  It benefits OKC... OK.

However, didn't we do something before the deadline to help another team via trade?

My question is why are we helping these other teams if there's no reciprocity?

• Premium Member

They did this deal with OKC to get money which was probably used on the Salmons buyout.

I actually think doing minor deals like this is just smart business. It gets the team a little bit of money to help reduce costs and it helps build Ferry's rep around the league as a nice guy willing to help other teams out. This is a win/win situation for all involved.

• Like 4

They did this deal with OKC to get money which was probably used on the Salmons buyout.

I actually think doing minor deals like this is just smart business. It gets the team a little bit of money to help reduce costs and it helps build Ferry's rep around the league as a nice guy willing to help other teams out. This is a win/win situation for all involved.

Oh great someone has hacked @Sothron's account. Cause there's no way this can be you being so level headed about this type of move. 

Quick, remember the Trashers? 

• Like 1

Have you considered that because people aren't in those seats that the Hawks have to resort to these alternative forms of income?

But why does it seem a forum of basketball fans are so excited for a move that doesn't improve the product on the court, but instead gives the ownership back money they lost by having the product they put out on the court to begin with? Then defend them when it is sarcastically played with on a forum out of frustration of said product?

Excuse me for being a sports fan that wants the treadmill team to change it's way, and don't support the conservative ways of roster building. I wonder why they lose money?

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Oh great someone has hacked @Sothron's account. Cause there's no way this can be you being so level headed about this type of move. 

Quick, remember the Trashers? 

Just because I can't stand the A$G doesn't mean I can't appreciate moves that are beneficial to the team. blum3.gif

I didn't see any reports on money sent to ATL, although it makes sense. Can someone point me in the direction of this report?

It was in a tweet that someone posted in the Thabo thread a couple pages back i think. Said we did a snt with okc for thabo, they were giving us cash and the rights to some greek guy and we were giving them the rights to shortisantis (sp?). If i wasnt on my phone, i would actually dig it up for you.

It was in a tweet that someone posted in the Thabo thread a couple pages back i think. Said we did a snt with okc for thabo, they were giving us cash and the rights to some greek guy and we were giving them the rights to shortisantis (sp?). If i wasnt on my phone, i would actually dig it up for you.

Ah, thanks. I'm assuming the tweet didn't have the actual amount on it either. Well have to wait for Deeks to give us the update later.

This...

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/7/15/5903513/atlanta-hawks-oklahoma-city-thunder-thabo-sefolosha-trade

Thabo Sefolosha was signed and traded by the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Atlanta Hawks, the team officially announced early Tuesday evening.

That Thabo was going to be a Hawk was not surprising, and the fact that he came to the Hawks via sign and trade was one of the scenarios that HawksFanatic spelled out in his definitive cap discussion over the weekend.

The Hawks could have signed Sefolosha outright as HawksFanatic laid out, but they didn't and a question arising from the fanbase is, "why?"

Well, first, the Hawks got some moolah for their trouble, so that's nice. We're hoping it's enough to fund Peachtree Hoops Night 2: The Reckoning. Secondly, aside from the cash,there is benefit to providing an exception for others. You don't get favors in the league unless you give them. Create a reputation for being hard to deal with and you'll find less people dealing with you. Who knows, maybe the Hawks will want to make a deal at the trade deadline and they might need the Thunder and their trade exception to chime in for them. It's good business.

Also part of the trade were the two international players (taken from the team's press release)

Atlanta acquired the draft rights to Schortsanitis from the 
Los Angeles Clippers
 on July 30, 2012 in a sign-and-trade transaction for 
Willie Green
, after he was originally selected by the Clippers in the second round (34th overall) of the 2003 NBA Draft. He currently plays for Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel.

Alright, here's a photo of Schortsanitis:

482330843_medium_medium.jpg

via cdn2.vox-cdn.com

(Hint: he's not #54)

Here's who the Hawks got the rights to (again, from Hawks press release):

Printezis was originally selected by the 
San Antonio Spurs
 in the second round (58th overall) of the 2007 NBA Draft. He currently plays for Olympiacos Piraeus in Greece.

So he was drafted by the Spurs, which is nice and as our own Patrick Laney (the RedRev) notes, hey!, he knows someone on the team already!

As Laney noted in another Tweet, he is also under contract until 2017, so, yeah. Oh, and he played with Acie Law. Synergy!

Sefolosha should come in and provide the needed boost to the threes and defense style the Hawks want their wings to play, and shores up the depth in that area sorely lacking from last year.

Last thing, Peachtree Hoops alumnus and current Hawks.com writer Robby Kalland put a couple of Sefoloshy posts out there that neatly summarizes how Thabo fits the team and what they like about him. Check them out. Now.

Edited by Gianluca
  • Like 1