• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Time waits for no man.

Diesel

• Premium Member

As I read what a lot of Hawks fans have to say about this upcoming season, I have to be realistic... The truth is that time waits for no man... 

What do I mean?

While a lot of people are talking about how good we're going to be with Horf back, I say that with Horf back and with the make up of this team now, we would have been great last season.

But a new season brings about new teams.

I won't even begin in Cleveland because we don't know what they will be when it's all over.

However, how about Charlotte?

I don't know if we match up well with the new thugs of the East.  I'm not just talking Stephenson.  I'm talking Hariston also.  These are thug like players, but they play well.  We can only hope that their lockerroom breaks up.

How about the new and improved Indy with CJ Miles.

How about Chicago with Pau.

How about Brooklyn with Lopez coming back.

And what about Boston.  They haven't finished dealing yet, but somethings coming.

Bottom line, we're going into next season basically the same as we went into this season.  A lot of other teams have changed.

• Premium Member

How are we going in the same?  We added a very talented multi-dimensional guy in Payne in the draft, a SG who'd started the past several seasons on the 2nd best team in the West to come in and play off the bench, and we got a guy who looks like he has the potential to break out with more opportunity in Bazemore. Now these aren't sexy moves by any means but it's foolish to say that we haven't moved forward or that we're the same team, because we aren't. 

Not to mention, it's a bit hypocritical to say "something is coming in Boston" and then not allow the same level of possibility for the Hawks when we still have 11 million left to spend. 

Let me explain.

First somethings coming in Boston.

They just drafted Marcus Smart.  Good money says that they won't hold on to Rondo for long.  Maybe he goes to Houston.  Maybe he goes to SacTown.  Maybe he goes to LAL?

Secondly,

I'm not bowled over by the difference that Thabo makes.  He's similar to DMC.  In fact, DMC might be better.

I'm not convinced that Payne is going to be much more than Mike Scott from a production standpoint.

In fact, we haven't resigned Scott or Mack or Brand.

Finally, I love Bazemore's energy, the question is will he outproduce what we could have gotten from Lou?

So, my early judgement is though we picked up new names, none of them moved the needle so much that I say, we're better than last year.

• Premium Member

Not one team in the East are contenders this year. The East is wide open. Until I see Rose play 82 games, the Bulls are not contenders.

I would say with Pau added, the Bulls are contenders without Rose.  I have no trust that Rose will play a whole season.  But I have seen this team coached up without him.

It's hard to deny these other teams like Toronto and Washington.  They have done nothing to drop their stock.

Let me explain.

They just drafted Marcus Smart.  Good money says that they won't hold on to Rondo for long.  Maybe he goes to Houston.  Maybe he goes to SacTown.  Maybe he goes to LAL?

Secondly,

I'm not bowled over by the difference that Thabo makes.  He's similar to DMC.  In fact, DMC might be better.

I'm not convinced that Payne is going to be much more than Mike Scott from a production standpoint.

Finally, I love Bazemore's energy, the question is will he outproduce what we could have gotten from Lou?

So, my early judgement is though we picked up new names, none of them moved the needle so much that I say, we're better than last year.

They may not be better than our starters, but they're better than our old bench players were. That plus another year in the system and hopefully a healthy team will make a big difference. 

• Like 1

I would say with Pau added, the Bulls are contenders without Rose.  I have no trust that Rose will play a whole season.  But I have seen this team coached up without him.

It's hard to deny these other teams like Toronto and Washington.  They have done nothing to drop their stock.

The same Pau that hit 36% of his mid range jumpers and was lost on PnR defense last year? He would of been great with us/Spurs, but not with Thibs.

Edited by GameTime

We've done nothing to drop our stock either. But the typical Hawks fan mindset is if we aren't adding a star then we've gotten worse.

Every damn year it's the same old sad prediction of how everyone in the East has gotten better but us. Then every year rolls around and things are pretty much the same as they always were.

Once again this year we are probably a 3-6 seed, with the potential to be better or worse depending on health. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member

The same Pau that hit 36% of his mid range jumpers and was lost on PnR defense last year? He would of been great with us/Spurs, but not with Thibs.

That Pau who will be allowed to play underneath so that the best Passing big man in the game this side of the other Gasol will be able to play High post and feed him all day.

You are 100% correct... D'Antoni knows shit about coaching bigs and putting them in their best position.  Look over his history.  He took a vicious big man like Amare (when he first came out) and made him into a decoy in a run and shoot offense.  D'Antoni is a system coach only.  So what did he do with Gasol?  He panicked and played him out of position so that he fit in his system.

Tibbs will have a high low game with Noah and Pau that will make Kareem blush.

• Premium Member

We've done nothing to drop our stock either. But the typical Hawks fan mindset is if we aren't adding a star then we've gotten worse.

Every damn year it's the same old sad prediction of how everyone in the East has gotten better but us. Then every year rolls around and things are pretty much the same as they always were.

Once again this year we are probably a 3-6 seed, with the potential to be better or worse depending on health. 

We've stood still... when we were a 38 win  playoff team that barely made it in to the 8th spot.

I know I know.. we're getting Horf back.  I hope that makes the difference.  What I'm saying is us getting Horf back and getting these slightly better replacements would have been GREAT last year.  However, most teams are changing.  Talent is being redistributed throughout the league.  A lot of our contemporaries also have made changes.  We can't really go in with the typical Hawks fan mindset that just because we drafted somebody new and our GM likes our core that all the sudden we're going past the second round.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

How are we going in the same?  We added a very talented multi-dimensional guy in Payne in the draft, a SG who'd started the past several seasons on the 2nd best team in the West to come in and play off the bench, and we got a guy who looks like he has the potential to break out with more opportunity in Bazemore. Now these aren't sexy moves by any means but it's foolish to say that we haven't moved forward or that we're the same team, because we aren't. 

Not to mention, it's a bit hypocritical to say "something is coming in Boston" and then not allow the same level of possibility for the Hawks when we still have 11 million left to spend. 

Do we still have 11 million if we sign our guys Antić, Scott, and Mack?

Do we still have 11 million if we sign our guys Antić, Scott, and Mack?

Apparently after Antić we still have 11 million.  Scott and Mack will eat into that if we re-sign them. There's a good chance that one or both will not be back, depending on what we decide to do in the rest of the offseason.

That Pau who will be allowed to play underneath so that the best Passing big man in the game this side of the other Gasol will be able to play High post and feed him all day.

You are 100% correct... D'Antoni knows shit about coaching bigs and putting them in their best position.  Look over his history.  He took a vicious big man like Amare (when he first came out) and made him into a decoy in a run and shoot offense.  D'Antoni is a system coach only.  So what did he do with Gasol?  He panicked and played him out of position so that he fit in his system.

Tibbs will have a high low game with Noah and Pau that will make Kareem blush.

Antoni did well with Amare in PHX.... don't know if I agree with that.

Thibby is far from a genius on offense so we will see how he uses Pau.

• Premium Member

Apparently after Antić we still have 11 million.  Scott and Mack will eat into that if we re-sign them. There's a good chance that one or both will not be back, depending on what we decide to do in the rest of the offseason.

ok I wasn't sure.  I get a feeling that Schröder may get the backup job and that leaves Mack out.  Its time for Dennis to step up and play although he is still young, he does have this past year as experience.

I think in the end we may sign Scott when all of the wing players are off the board.  I dont see Boozer coming here to replace him on the roster.

ok I wasn't sure.  I get a feeling that Schröder may get the backup job and that leaves Mack out.  Its time for Dennis to step up and play although he is still young, he does have this past year as experience.

I think in the end we may sign Scott when all of the wing players are off the board.  I dont see Boozer coming here to replace him on the roster.

I dunno Mack has to be feeling better and better about his job security here with each turnover Schröder has in summer league. 

• Moderators

Good lord.  All these moves in the east are questionable and every team is a friggin question mark.   Did brooklyn have a good offseason.   Their screwball coach decides he likes the worst team in the league better.   Indy did nothing,  Chicago is rolling with the big 3 of the training room.   @Dolfan23 seems to have  more patience than me but this is just getting old.   How many threads do we need that say the same thing.   Every year everybody in the east gets better but us but who of these constantly improving teams have made it out of the second round recently.   None.  Not charlotte, not brooklyn, not washington, not orlando, chicago did make it once!, not toronto, not cleveland, not bucks, not detroit, 

• Like 1

Buddy Grizzard December 15, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Also:

“the Horford-Millsap frontcourt duo is hard to improve upon.”

So this is as good as it gets? A .500 club just good enough to make the playoffs and miss the chance to improve through the lottery, then be led like lambs to the slaughter to a first or second round series against Miami or Indiana? Is that how high we’re aiming here?

Because, as I stated, if swapping Millsap for Asik hurts the Hawks in the short term and they end up in the lottery, it actually improves the team through incoming talent. Stick with what you have, and you’re sticking with the same mediocrity the Hawks have produced since the franchise moved to Atlanta. Am I the only person who is sick of that?

Quoted for emphasis. 

Let me explain.

Secondly,

People are putting a lot of stock in Bazemore who played decent on a team that was losing a lot of games last year.