• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Walter Tavares looking good

Richesly

• Premium Member

Bebe in the few times I saw him play seemed to be really able to get up and down the court... antelope like. Seemed to be a nice complement to Schröder in that way. I liked him. But again, I can see where he became more expendable given the addition of Taveras along with some of the injury concerns, along with the seeming opportunity to pair him with Salmons to gain some additional cap space. And... repeating myself again... until we sign our RFAs, I'm not passing judgment on that move b/c I really don't think the FA season can be proclaimed over-and-done until we see that happen.

Coaching, yes, and a strength trainer. He's never going to be credited with Olajuwon's athleticism or with Chamberlain's physicality (... that's a real word now, right?... ) but he does have an intriguing touch as a shooter, a very coordinated form at the foul line that gets results, and an ability to block shots... there's some tools there to work with, and a body frame that unlike Bebe's can accommodate some more muscle weight.

neither bebe or edy are freak athletes, but both have freak height.  shaq had freak height and freak athleticism and strength, but he is probably the most talented bball player ever.  I'd love to keep edy here and keep an eye on him, train him up.

I'll address Danny in a much larger post explaining all angles later.

As for Bebe and Edy. Yes, Bebe is better. You be saying crazy homer stuff. I just read your post on realgm. Sorry breh, but you tend to be a homer when it comes to this team. I am not. I think we have decent depth and I willing to give them a chance. You assume it's crazy depth. Sorry but you don't trade a former 6th man of the yr, a center with upside for nothing and add a SG for 2 mil and a SF for 4 mil and think our depth is going to be crazy. Sorry, I am not buying it.

No I'm not a homer but you have to be on RealGM. Thats nothing but a Raptors board. Have of them speak nonsense anyways. When it comes to the Hawks on RealGM they have no idea what they are talking about. So I'm there to set them straight. If i come off being a homer than oh well. I do tend to turn it up a notch over there. But so do they

And No bebe is not better. You just say negative things about the Hawks. I think most of the time you just say it to get under peoples skin. When it comes to depth we are good besides the SF position IMO.

A former 6th man coming off ACL who is undersized for the 2, can't run the offense and has a bad assist to turnover ratio making 5 million. Come on guy you just hating on Ferry plain and simple. Now, Bebe has all this potential (upside) and has never played in a NBA game who is to light to play the C position in the NBA with bad knees. You act like he was going to lead us to the promise land, Edy has more upside than Bebe hands down.

You act like you don't see the purpose of the roster moves by Ferry. You are blaming Ferry because he cleared the space to go after UFA and they choose not to come here. I like the move because at least he tried to do something. Fans saying atl sitting back in FA, no we are not. We are players in FA but players choose not to come here. 

• Moderators

Seriously? They were available, They DIDNT WANT COME TO HERE. At least get it right.

Pau Gasol said the reason he left LA or Chicago is because he wants another ring. It wasn't about the money at all. He just went to the team that he felt had the best chance at winning a title.

The problem with Atlanta is that the Ferry/Bud way has not been in Atlanta long enough to entice big name free agents to sign here. We haven't proven ourselves yet. Yes, we are a very competitive team that works hard on both ends and Bud has implemented a ball movement system that players love playing in, but we haven't proven ourselves.

Also, the biggest difference between Dallas, LA, Chicago, New York, Miami, and now Cleveland and Atlanta IS THAT THEY HAVE STARS ALREADY IN PLACE. They all have guys that other players want to play with. It's not that they're big markets, it's that they have big names already on the roster. Also, 5 out of the 6 teams mentioned above all drafted their stars--New York w/ Melo being the exception.

My point is that isn't that big names have some sort of hatred or ill-will against the Hawks, it's that we haven't proven ourselves to be a winner. You build it Ferry, and they will come--both the fans and the big names. Go Hawks!

Now to get back on topic... Tavares >>> Bebe. Tavares is as true of a center as the Hawks have seen since Deke. Good defensively, good rebounder. Really needs to work on his touch around the hoop and work on a baby hook. Needs to learn basic fundamentals too, but I think that is where Bud and staff will do wonders for him. You can't teach physical tools and Walter has great size, strength, and wingspan to play in the NBA. I see Tavares as a legit starter in 4 seasons where I see Bebe bagging groceries in a Brazilian supermarket in 4 years. Go Edy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

I think Morey and the Rockets are a decent proxy for how you view Ferry. Both guys gave up assets to put themselves in position to make a FA splash and both struck out. You should pretty much view both ATL and HOU's offseasons in the same light. In both cases you should also recognize that there are still potential moves that each could make. There are legit arguments on both sides of the issue, IMO.

• Like 3

I think Morey and the Rockets are a decent proxy for how you view Ferry. Both guys gave up assets to put themselves in position to make a FA splash and both struck out. You should pretty much view both ATL and HOU's offseasons in the same light. In both cases you should also recognize that there are still potential moves that each could make. There are legit arguments on both sides of the issue, IMO.

Now making Parson a UFA was stupid. They did that to save what, a million bucks in cap space? ended up losing their starting SF for nothing. Or you could say Houston hooked him up to his big pay day.

Also, the biggest difference between Dallas, LA, Chicago, New York, Miami, and now Cleveland and Atlanta IS THAT THEY HAVE STARS ALREADY IN PLACE. They all have guys that other players want to play with. It's not that they're big markets, it's that they have big names already on the roster. Also, 5 out of the 6 teams mentioned above all drafted their stars--New York w/ Melo being the exception.

Despite playing his whole career in Dallas, Dirk was drafted by the Bucks and traded at draft night - maybe one of the best trades ever, it also brought Steve Nash to Dallas:

WIKIPEDIA:

In particular, Rick Pitino and Don Nelson, head coaches of the Boston Celtics and Dallas Mavericks respectively, were highly interested in acquiring him. After a 45-minute private workout with Pitino, where Nowitzki showcased his versatile shooting, rebounding and passing skills, the Boston coach immediately compared him to Celtics legend Larry Bird; Pitino assured Nowitzki that he would draft him with the Celtics' first-round draft pick at #10.[24]

However, Pitino's plan was foiled by Nelson, whose team had the sixth pick. Nelson worked out draft day deals with the Milwaukee Bucks and the Phoenix Suns: the Mavericks wanted Nowitzki and Suns reserve point guard Steve Nash; the Bucks desired muscular forward Robert Traylor, who was projected to be drafted before Nowitzki; and the Suns had set their sights on forward Pat Garrity, who was projected as a low first round pick. In the draft, the Mavericks drafted Traylor with their sixth pick, and the Bucks selected Nowitzki with their ninth and Garrity with their nineteenth pick. The Mavericks then traded Traylor to the Bucks for Nowitzki and Garrity, and they in return traded the latter to Phoenix for Nash.

[/smartassmode]

• Moderators

Despite playing his whole career in Dallas, Dirk was drafted by the Bucks and traded at draft night - maybe one of the best trades ever, it also brought Steve Nash to Dallas:

WIKIPEDIA:

[/smartassmode]

Buuuuttt he was a draft day trade. Not one Dirk Bucks jersey was ever made. The same can be said about Kobe. He was originally drafted by the Hornets and then traded to the Lakers on draft day. I consider that the same as drafting the guy. No one ever comsidered Pau Gasol a member of the Hawks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 2

A big part of Ferry s job is to get the players we need to win. To say that he s not responsible for FAs signing is absurd.

Of course it's his responsibility but how do you assign fault if he met with and offered a deal to the players he targeted but they not only declined but took less elsewhere.

Since I joined the Squawk I've heard that "Free Agents don't wanna play for the .Hawks" - like I said previously you don't change the perception over night.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Of course it's his responsibility but how do you assign fault if he met with and offered a deal to the players he targeted but they not only declined but took less elsewhere.

Since I joined the Squawk I've heard that "Free Agents don't wanna play for the .Hawks" - like I said previously you don't change the perception over night.

You can't base your plan to be a contender on signing FAs (and not getting lottery talent) and then shrug your shoulders and say "not my fault FAs won't sign." That is the only argument I can really generate to assign him responsibility.

• Like 1