• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

C'Mon Hawks fans

DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

I hope you are right but don't think "culture" will carry us that far. 48 wins would be a very good result for this team.

Culture alone wont carry us but culture combined with player development and depth allowing us to regulate minutes should carry us to a minimum 48 wins

• Moderators

Culture alone wont carry us but culture combined with player development and depth allowing us to regulate minutes should carry us to a minimum 48 wins

Sounds good but when your floor is a win total that the Hawks have matched or exceeded only once in the last 16 years, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment.  

• Like 1

Sounds good but when your floor is a win total that the Hawks have matched or exceeded only once in the last 16 years, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Im sorry but this sounds like the worst reasoning ever. So we are incapable of having success in the future since we have failed to in the past?

Im not buying it.

If that is intended to read:  44-48 then I am on board with that.  I could even see up to 50 wins if things break right.  54 wins is out of reach without something transformative happening.

People will say "Well, we got Horford back" and people act like he missed the whole year last year. He did play 30 games and the team was only "ok" when he went down.

• Premium Member

People will say "Well, we got Horford back" and people act like he missed the whole year last year. He did play 30 games and the team was only "ok" when he went down.

I think we were 3 games above .500 when he got hurt.

I think we were 3 games above .500 when he got hurt.

Well, I'm saying that the Hawks will win more games next year if Horford is healthy... But some are saying that the Hawks will win over 50 games and are using Horford being back as the justification for doing so. Acting like he was out the whole year or something.

I can't see a full season of Horford plus Payne, Bazemore and Thabo being worth 12-15 more wins. 

• Premium Member

Well, I'm saying that the Hawks will win more games next year if Horford is healthy... But some are saying that the Hawks will win over 50 games and are using Horford being back as the justification for doing so. Acting like he was out the whole year or something.

I can't see a full season of Horford plus Payne, Bazemore and Thabo being worth 12-15 more wins.

I don't either. I stand by my earlier statement of 40-45 wins with the current roster.

Barring any significant injury to any of our players put me down for 51 wins. Here's why:

1. 2nd season running the system on offense AND defense. I think the offensive execution will be better when it matters most at the end of games

2. We got bigger and better defensively in the backcourt

3. Teague should be more comfortable running the offense

4. Dennis should be much improved

5. A deeper bench

6. If Mack and Scott are back I'm expecting continued improvement from them.

I still think we need another center off the bench.

Here's why I'm optimistic: that 14/15 game losing stretch was brutal. I think we could have won at least half of them if so many of the players (excluding Al) didn't miss so many games at the same time. There were times we had 8 guys available. Brand and Scott playing 40 minutes. DMC playing PF. That was just too much to overcome.

So if we won at least 7 of those games, our win total for the season could have been 45 games (without Al for 53 games). Having Al back and back to form can get us 6 more games.

So 51 is a good number.

• Premium Member

It isn't just the health of Horford, the fact we were 3 games over .500 when he went out, or adding Payne, Bazemore, and Thabo that make some of us feel positive about this team. It is also the continuity, the growth of our squad under Bud, learning his system that has shown promise even at the beginning, the growth in Jeff we noticed, and the promise of Dennis and even Mack and Scott who are young developing guys if we bring them back.

Heck, DMC even admitted he improved his game while here. This is a team that is finally developing talent rather than wasting it away in inadequate offensive "systems" like ISO Joe.

I am excited about this upcoming season and expect the haters to eat a lot of crow.

• Like 1