• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bazemore maybe our next all-star....

JTB

Yes! No! Maybe?

What do y'all think?

I think it's possible. After re watching the LA games when he broke out I see a lot of high strong potential, which is great! But the only way he becomes a possible all star player in my eyes is if he starts.

I'm all for starting Bazemore over Korver and bringing Korver off the bench. Baze just does more on the court to effect both ends offensively and defensively.

I worry that bud is going to treat baze like the warriors did and not even play the man. Again I think he should start over Korver but that may take a month or two in the season to actually put Korver on the bench.

Thoughts?

I have no idea.

Should he start over Korver? I don't know.

Korver has shown he can start and until that changes and Bazemore learns the offense.

The starting line up last season was good, having Korver to stretch the floor for Teague is a good thing.

If it's one thing that Bud's not afraid to do is play the bench so I'm not worried he'd get the GSW treatment. Practice hard and play defense he'll see the floor.

I'm not worried about starters, I'm more concerned about who finishes games.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

I don't think we went after him to have him not get minutes.   I think Korver knows his role on the team and will get his minutes starting or not.   I'm expecting big things from Bazemore though.   I think Bud knows what to do with a player like him.

• Moderators

Anything is possible... But I think once again, the Squawk is overrating a player. I hope the best for Baze, but I'm not expecting more than a solid role player from him. I'll give him a ceiling as a SMOY award candidate. Basically, the same play we got from DMC... and before anyone mentions DMC was a starter - he was a starter because we had no one else to put in that starting slot, not because he is some great two-way player. DMC is a bench guy on 25 other teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Anything is possible... But I think once again, the Squawk is overrating a player. I hope the best for Baze, but I'm not expecting more than a solid role player from him. I'll give him a ceiling as a SMOY award candidate. Basically, the same play we got from DMC... and before anyone mentions DMC was a starter - he was a starter because we had no one else to put in that starting slot, not because he is some great two-way player. DMC is a bench guy on 25 other teams.

We got MORE than what we thought we would/could get from DMC. I hope he lives up to his word and has been working on his game this offseason. It was great to see him at the SL games and helping the coaching staff. I like DMC.

Im going to look at some Baze game tape with Lakers and ill be back with  my opinion on him.

Lol well I knew someone would say "we are overrating our players again" that's why I used the word possible.

I think Baze with starter minutes shows us a lot of good much like DMC...but on the other hand I think Baze with just 10-18 minutes per game shows us probably little to nothing.

It's just important that he gets plenty of minutes on the court if he's going to be an effective player for us. But I guess it's nothing to worry about like others have mentioned. He wouldn't have committed here if he wasn't going to get any real playing time.

Of course he still has to prove himself.

• Moderators

We got MORE than what we thought we would/could get from DMC. I hope he lives up to his word and has been working on his game this offseason. It was great to see him at the SL games and helping the coaching staff. I like DMC.

Im going to look at some Baze game tape with Lakers and ill be back with my opinion on him.

I love DMC and I wasn't trying to put him down or anything. DMC has some the best hands in the league and was our glue last season.

As for Baze, he has improved his shot and is a good slasher. I see him giving us exactly what Lou gave us pre-injury except from a bigger frame and more energy.

I have no idea.

Should he start over Korver? I don't know.

Korver has shown he can start and until that changes and Bazemore learns the offense.

The starting line up last season was good, having Korver to stretch the floor for Teague is a good thing.

If it's one thing that Bud's not afraid to do is play the bench so I'm not worried he'd get the GSW treatment. Practice hard and play defense he'll see the floor.

I'm not worried about starters, I'm more concerned about who finishes games.

But it's also important that Teague is not the only slasher in the starting lineup. That was the problem last year.

We don't have a center that gets a ton of post points nor do we necessarily need one if we have slashers like Teague and Bazemore to get to the goal and finish inside.

As far Korver goes...I never felt like Korver was a starter because he's a one trick pony but at the same time I also don't think it matters if Korver starts or not like you mentioned because I feel Korver can get his points quickly if his shot is on.

Korver stretching the floor is important yes but what about inside points (points in the paint). I'm sure Teague, Sap, Horford can all do their part but I think a player like Bazemore can balance that offense out more and create a more all around attacking offense.

• Moderators

Lol well I knew someone would say "we are overrating our players again" that's why I used the word possible.

I think Baze with starter minutes shows us a lot of good much like DMC...but on the other hand I think Baze with just 10-18 minutes per game shows us probably little to nothing.

It's just important that he gets plenty of minutes on the court if he's going to be an effective player for us. But I guess it's nothing to worry about like others have mentioned. He wouldn't have committed here if he wasn't going to get any real playing time.

Of course he still has to prove himself.

Well, maybe not so much of overrating players, but setting the bar too high. I think Baze will a solid player and is an improvement over Cartier. He is multi-dimensional on offense and is good defensively. I hope he can turn into Kawhi Leonard, but I'm not expecting it.

We lack speed and urgency on the wings. We have athletic guys but they arent explosive. I think bazemore's sudden movements and explosiveness gives him a chance to be our ginobili. If that jumper is reliable enough he will be a problem for defenders.

that being said, his defense and length will earn him plenty of playing time. I think we will all be praising ferry for finding this bargain

• Like 1

Well, maybe not so much of overrating players, but setting the bar too high. I think Baze will a solid player and is an improvement over Cartier. He is multi-dimensional on offense and is good defensively. I hope he can turn into Kawhi Leonard, but I'm not expecting it.

Your probably right...

But am I going to far when I say I expect Bazemore to avg. 10-14 points, 4-5rebs, 3-4 assist per game all while providing good defense?

*all of this If he's given similar minutes to what he got in LA to do so that is.

We lack speed and urgency on the wings. We have athletic guys but they arent explosive. I think bazemore's sudden movements and explosiveness gives him a chance to be our ginobili. If that jumper is reliable enough he will be a problem for defenders.

that being said, his defense and length will earn him plenty of playing time. I think we will all be praising ferry for finding this bargain

I think so too...will of course take him some time to become a ginobli type player but it is possible.

An your right on point...I think Bazemores explosiveness, high energy, and defense will be enough to win him the starter role sometime in the beginning of the season.

*On a side note: I was extremely excited about Lamar Patterson and still am but I'm way more excited about Bazemore...I'm really looking forward to watching him this season.

• Like 1

Bazemore an all-star? Why, because he signed with us? He might be in the d-league right now if Lakers didn't give him minutes while they were tanking the season away. Now he could be our next all-star. Sure, as much of a chance as Mack being one.

I know we are trying to reach for something positive to justify the off-season moves so far, but we just signed a couple of bench players.

Edited by RWF
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Yes! No! Maybe?

What do y'all think?

I think it's possible. After re watching the LA games when he broke out I see a lot of high strong potential, which is great! But the only way he becomes a possible all star player in my eyes is if he starts.

I'm all for starting Bazemore over Korver and bringing Korver off the bench. Baze just does more on the court to effect both ends offensively and defensively.

I worry that bud is going to treat baze like the warriors did and not even play the man. Again I think he should start over Korver but that may take a month or two in the season to actually put Korver on the bench.

Thoughts?

I think starting Bazemore is the only way to go.  He has so much potential.  I think as a backcourt mate to Teague, he would be really good. Bazemore gives us a slasher.

• Like 1

Well, maybe not so much of overrating players, but setting the bar too high. I think Baze will a solid player and is an improvement over Cartier.

You were right the first time. I love our players as much as the next guy (no homo), but seriously? All star? Even a "possibly" all star is a joke. The guy could very well be a positive addition to this team, I expect that, but like another poster said, he was one step away from the d-league. There aren't $2 million (or whatever he makes) players that aren't on rookie deals that are all stars.

Scurtch yer brakes @JTB. Show of hands how many squawkers knew of him before this off season?

He's a DMC/Mack/Pero signing. Positive contributor, not a world beater.

• Like 2

Do't think him starting is realistic.  I think our bench will be more dynamic.  We will have lots of options when it comes to match ups and Bud is good at dictating tempo.  I'd be happy if Baze got 10 and 4 or 5.  And I think Payne coming off the bench will also give us a shot in the arm

Your probably right...

But am I going to far when I say I expect Bazemore to avg. 10-14 points, 4-5rebs, 3-4 assist per game all while providing good defense?

*all of this If he's given similar minutes to what he got in LA to do so that is.

Yes ... it is going too far. Bazemore will be lucky to get 6 shots a game, let alone average double figure points.

Honestly, if he could average 17 minutes, 7 ppg and shoot 46% FG, that would be great production from him.

• Like 2