• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Trade Millsap NOW! We won't re-sign him and his...

bumpyphish1

I hear you JBH, but alls it takes is one GM to fall in love ...

How madly would that GM have to fall in love?  What about Paul's desire to reciprocate in all of this?  I may be old fashioned but I think consent is still a thing these days.

Man!...and to think @Dolfan23 likes to call me bipolar!

Most of you all were saying just last month that we need to trade sap, now you're saying lets keep him?!

Well let me put my two cents in...I like sap and I would actually rather keep him because he does fit the system and he is a good player but I look at horford situation and it scares me!

I don't want to lose horford due to him not wanting to play center so in my view I think ferry will have to trade sap at some point unless the hawks play so well horford commits to the center position for the rest of his career.

It's not about sap as a player...this is about horford! Is horford happy if we resign sap long term? Or will horford bolt the next off season because he has a desire to play pf?...you HAVE to ask yourself those questions.

Too many of you got offended about trading sap when it's not really all about sap but more so horford who happens to be our best player.

It's not about sap as a player...this is about horford! Is horford happy if we resign sap long term? Or will horford bolt the next off season because he has a desire to play pf?...you HAVE to ask yourself those questions.

Too many of you got offended about trading sap when it's not really all about sap but more so horford who happens to be our best player.

Horford HAS to ask himself these questions: is he willing to bolt for the minimum to go play with an elite center?  Is he willing to go play with some scrub center just so he can say he is a PF?  Do other teams even think he's good enough to replace their current PF?

Too many think that Horf is offended having to play C.  Me I personally think that players want to play with other good players more than they want to satisfy feeble desires.  If Horf is truly motivated by the latter then f*** him, truly and deeply.  He isn't greater than the myriad of stars the Hawks have unceremoniously let go of in the past yet *gasp* the franchise is still in existence so I now and forever will never see the sense in fielding a worse team just to appease one not even great player.

Mac,

When you sign an asset, you can sign that asset up to the salary cap (with certain exceptions).  When you trade an asset, you can trade for up to 150% +100000 of the salary.  This allows an established roster to pull in talent they might otherwise not.

So in the case of Milsap, you are looking at 9 million in salary.  Let's assume the Hawks finish the year at 65 million in salary. Subtract Milsap's salary and you are at 56 million, 7 million under the cap. You can sign a new player for up to 7 million.  Now trade Milsap during the season and you can trade for 13.6 million in salary, raising your existing salary number to 69.6 million.  Effectively, you create 6.6 million in additional salary for the roster and it is hard to deny you can get a better player at 13.6 million than at 7 million.

This is why our current "cap flexibility" is a bold faced lie. The real cap is the luxury tax.  Our flexibility ends at 63 million in salary space. At that point, adding salary becomes trickier.  However, other teams who have not played the cap game like we did with Smith have additional salary to create players with.

Edited by thecampster

No, that is wrong.

It would be in Millsap's interest if the team that wants to sign him does not have Cap Space to sign him, a sign-and-trade would benefit Millsap and the team Millsap wants to go to. The Hawks might do it in order to gain something for Millsap. So it is still on the table, it is just that Millsap cannot force a sign-and-trade and get paid the 7.5% raises. He can only get 4.5% raises.

Isn't that exactly what I wrote?

SNT? Why should he do so? Since the last CBA there aren't any advantages for the players to do so... So we would only get something if the other team needs to clear some cap space. Or am I wrong?

Your first statement on there is wrong. There is a reason for Millsap to engage in a sign-and-trade which I expanded upon. The change in the CBA that made it so a sign-and-trade is less attractive to Millsap is that he would have less raises and couldn't get the extra 5th year. This does not mean Millsap has no incentive, it just isn't the same incentive as what Bosh and Lebron had in negotiating a sign-and-trade in 2010. The new CBA does not allow a player to utilize his full Bird Rights in a sign-and-trade.

Your second statement that you have bolded is ambiguous. You initially talked about why Millsap wouldn't do a sign-and-trade, but then circled around for why the Hawks may do a sign-and-trade. These are two different entities, and Millsap and the Hawks may or may not have similar interests. I'm not so much responded to your second statement as I was responding to your first.

Language barrier perhaps?

So ... if I hear you correctly ... you're saying we should SnT Millsap?

chloe.gif

How madly would that GM have to fall in love?  What about Paul's desire to reciprocate in all of this?  I may be old fashioned but I think consent is still a thing these days.

lmsac.gif

I'm in the trade Millsap now party because I would want Al to eventually shift to power forward.

What if we traded Paul for Goran Drafic, who would be a great fit at the 2 next to Teague in Bud's system. In the likely event the Suns resign Bledsoe, it is plausible that they would want to trade one of their guards after acquiring Isaiah Thomas.

Then next summer, the hawks make an all out no penny pinching max deal to Marc Gasol and if it works out we finally put Al to the 4.

The lineup of Teague, Dragic, DMC, Horford, and Gasol sounds pretty scary to me

• Like 1

Your first statement on there is wrong. There is a reason for Millsap to engage in a sign-and-trade which I expanded upon. The change in the CBA that made it so a sign-and-trade is less attractive to Millsap is that he would have less raises and couldn't get the extra 5th year. This does not mean Millsap has no incentive, it just isn't the same incentive as what Bosh and Lebron had in negotiating a sign-and-trade in 2010. The new CBA does not allow a player to utilize his full Bird Rights in a sign-and-trade.

Your second statement that you have bolded is ambiguous. You initially talked about why Millsap wouldn't do a sign-and-trade, but then circled around for why the Hawks may do a sign-and-trade. These are two different entities, and Millsap and the Hawks may or may not have similar interests. I'm not so much responded to your second statement as I was responding to your first.

Language barrier perhaps?

I tried to point out that there aren't the former advantages for players on SnTs anymore. I did this, because lot's of posters seem not to know and take SnTs on expiring contracts for granted. But that will only happen, if the other team doesn't have the cap space.That's what I wanted to say (and I thought I did so)...

Edited by rd79

I'm in the trade Millsap now party because I would want Al to eventually shift to power forward.

What if we traded Paul for Goran Drafic, who would be a great fit at the 2 next to Teague in Bud's system. In the likely event the Suns resign Bledsoe, it is plausible that they would want to trade one of their guards after acquiring Isaiah Thomas.

Then next summer, the hawks make an all out no penny pinching max deal to Marc Gasol and if it works out we finally put Al to the 4.

The lineup of Teague, Dragic, DMC, Horford, and Gasol sounds pretty scary to me

Dragic was 3rd team all-NBA and is a FA next season.  He's getting paid in a major way.  I'd say it's more likely that Bledsoe signs the QO and becomes a UFA next season.  Then the Suns re-sign Dragic.

I also reject any plans that rely on the Hawks landing an impact FA.  History is the best teacher on why that's not feasible.

The real problem is that we don't have a true 5. Some want to say that's not a problem in this league, however, as we look around, we will see that that's rapidly changing.

I don't think offensive schemes will help this.

Having a stretch 5 helped against true center Hibbert in the playoffs

• Like 2