• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Trade Millsap NOW! We won't re-sign him and his...

bumpyphish1

• Moderators

I think the question is one of sign-ability, not who does/doesn't want him here.  I don't think anyone is unhappy with his play.

Answer the following:

( a ) What do you think he'll be able to command after this year salary-wise? 3 years, $13-15MM per (just my uninformed guess)

( b ) Do you think the Hawks will pay it? They may have no choice, but I could see them balking at the price

( c )  If not, why not trade high? 

If he has another good year i think the hawks will offer 4 years at around $11 million a year.   I think he'll take it unless we aren't a playoff team this year.    

MB Gm's always want to trade our best players or not resign them...1st it was Teague, then it was Horford and now it is Paul Millsap.  And it usually involves us getting the lesser player while adding additional assets!  Paul Millsap plus a 1st which could turn into a lottery pick for Monroe??? Horford for Klay Thompson??? There has to be some type of personality disorder to explain this recurring desire.

Exactly. Every player who has put on a Hawks jersey shouldve been traded according to some people here. Horf and Sap works. Show me some prove that it wasnt working before Horford got hurt.

Congrats to 'Sap for getting invited to workout with Team USA.  And I do think he has been an undervalued commodity his whole career.

That said, for his next contract, he will get PAID.  We won't be able to retain him unless MGMT is willing to give him a significant raise which I'm dubious of.

Now is the time.  We don't trade him and his expiring, then we just aren't playing this smart.

Millsap + 1st for Monroe in a sign and trade.  GET IT DONE, FERRY.

What is so good about Monroe? Keep Sap. I dont think Ferry has a problem paying a player what they are worth.

If he has another good year i think the hawks will offer 4 years at around $11 million a year.   I think he'll take it unless we aren't a playoff team this year.    

That sounds reasonable.  I could see someone offering more.  Look at what Channing Frye got.  Yeesh.

• Moderators

That sounds reasonable.  I could see someone offering more.  Look at what Channing Frye got.  Yeesh.

True but man that was crazy.   I mean who was orlando outbidding for that one?   Still for some reason guys who you can call a center and shoot the three well are in vogue right now.   I think Millsap being slightly small for his position, even though he plays big, gets him underrated still.

I think the question is one of sign-ability, not who does/doesn't want him here.  I don't think anyone is unhappy with his play.

Answer the following:

( a ) What do you think he'll be able to command after this year salary-wise? 3 years, $13-15MM per (just my uninformed guess)

( b ) Do you think the Hawks will pay it? They may have no choice, but I could see them balking at the price

( c )  If not, why not trade high? 

At least SOMEONE here gets it.  It's not about not liking Millsap.  It's about not being able to afford an aging player who will get a hefty pay raise who happens to share the true position of our best player Al Horford.

Why Monroe?  Because he is young and certainly hasn't reached his potential due to his age and the dumspter fire organization that is the Pistons and because it would allow Al to move to his more natural position.

We didn't draft Payne at 15 if mgmt really thought there was a good chance we would re-sign Millsap.  We got him at a bargain.  Next offseason, he won't be a bargain.

And to the guy who said our first round pick could potentially be a lottery pick....um, what are you smoking?  Unless we completely tank, this team is likely going to be a top 4 seed in the East and will be drafting in the 20's.  It may actually take more than Millsap and a 1st to get Monroe.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Why do we act like if we don't trade a players for something then we've failed somehow.   Millsap is still here, winning games and hopefully making some noise for us in the playoffs this year.   If he walks, we take his $10 million and sign someone else.   It's the same as a trade in this salary cap world.   Did we lose Josh for nothing?  No.  We have Millsap because we let Josh walk.   

• Premium Member

In regards to center, he plays offense at the 4 now, the issue is he does not want to play 5 at the defensive end of the court.  Horf is a shooter and not a low post player.  

Is it me or this is why we don't sign people here in Atlanta. Like damn he plays for us, nobody else wants to sign here

Why not try to keep him. Y'all ran off josh & joe. For what and to pay who can't get a free agent to even visit.

Instead of fight for our players we listen and side with the media. let milsap walk well have enough money to sign KD lmao crazy

Detroit wants to run off Josh Smith as well.... So will any other team that gets him.

• Like 1

I think the question is one of sign-ability, not who does/doesn't want him here. I don't think anyone is unhappy with his play.

Answer the following:

( c ) If not, why not trade high?

A 29 year old Deng and a 29 year old Ariza (despite a great season) got an average of $10 mil per and $8mil per respectively, a 30 year old Frye got $8 mil per, you seriously think a 30 year old Millsap will get $13-$15 mil? Millsap's max offer will be no more than $12 million.

A 3 year deal starting at $12 per on a declining scale would be cool.

I don't understand the 'trade high' mantra since Sap has an expiring contract. What will teams be willing to give up? It'll either be to a team looking to just clear cap space or a team making a playoff push (which we won't know until the trade deadline).

Edited by JayBirdHawk

You think Ferry is going to pay Millsap a fat extension?  Think again.  Look who he signed off the free agent market with all this cap room the team had.  

Mark Gasol anyone?

Is he related to Marc Gasol?

You think Ferry is going to pay Millsap a fat extension? Think again. Look who he signed off the free agent market with all this cap room the team had.

Is he related to Marc Gasol?

Nobody thought that Kyle would be back either. Some even say DF overplayed him.

A 29 year old Deng and a 29 year old Ariza (despite a great season) got an average of $10 mil per and $8mil per respectively, a 30 year old Frye got $8 mil per, you seriously think a 30 year old Millsap will get $13-$15 mil? Millsap's max offer will be no more than $12 million.

A 3 year deal starting at $12 per on a declining scale would be cool.

I don't understand the 'trade high' mantra since Sap has an expiring contract. What will teams be willing to give up? It'll either be to a team looking to just clear cap space or a team making a playoff push (which we won't know until the trade deadline).

I hear you JBH, but alls it takes is one GM to fall in love ...

Also, with all due respect, only one of the dudes you mentioned is in the same realm as Millsap.  Next you'll be citing what Al Harrington gets signed for as evidence Paul won't get paid. on_the_quiet.gif

I hear you JBH, but alls it takes is one GM to fall in love ...

Also, with all due respect, only one of the dudes you mentioned is in the same realm as Millsap.  Next you'll be citing what Al Harrington gets signed for as evidence Paul won't get paid. on_the_quiet.gif

Al Harrington - really? slap1.gif

Steve Kooning had an interview a while back and said something like this:

".....our program is going to be built on play and stay, we want guys that fit our system, we want guys to play here and stay here."

If you realize his stock will never be higher, then how is it that other NBA GMs do not realize this as well?

You're missing the point.  His contract is expiring regardless.  Doesn't mean a contender wouldn't want to grab him for this year and then have that contract come off the books next season.  Of course GMs know his stock is high, but trading for him isn't making a long-term commitment.

I'll take "red herring posts" for 1,000, Alex.