• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I like it that things are so quiet

sturt

• Premium Member

...because there's some history that says the "when you least expect it, expect it" where it comes to Danny Ferry. Stirrings that the Love-to-Cavs trade may be imminent, though it might not be technically executed for a few weeks... could the Hawks play some part?

Guys, let's not underestimate the influence of LeBron. He's home. He's gonna get what he wants come hell or high water. If he wants Love in a Cavs uni, he'll be in a Cavs uni

I hate that! What the hell has the NBA turned into?!.....SMH (literally)

Me too.  Plus isn't that part of what got the Cavs into trouble in his first stint there?  Giving him too much say so.  He's not a scout or GM and he doesn't know what the coach is gonna do.  Why let him pick players?

And don't be that guy.  I know why they're giving him this power.  I'm saying it's a mistake.

Is it me or are American pro sports becoming less enjoyable as the years go on? Lebron really has me soured on the NBA. That guy has way too much influence on the league as demonstrated by his signing holding up all of FA  and now the Love saga. The NFL is just getting boring with the rules changes, never ending "instant" replay (the nfl has this system completely wrong), and the complete loss of defense. MLB is slightly better as they at least have some semblance of competitive balance while not completely bogging the flow of the game with "instant" replay (it should not be in baseball, imo). 

Sigh, well I still hold out hope that the Hawks will make a major roster move- like adding Monroe and then making a trade to upgrade the our starting off guard or small forward. 

• Premium Member

Don't ask me about baseball.

The commissioner of that game threw a $65 million bribe at my former team's new owner, and he very anxiously took that and kicked us fans of strategy-endowed baseball to the curb. The championship they hold in that game is a scientific method catastrophe... not apples and oranges, but it is akin to Granny Smith apples versus Red Delicious apples, so unlike every other sport in the world, the two teams playing each other have a different make-up by virtue of primarily playing their games under a single but very important difference in rules.

I was forced to choose between the game I loved and the team I loved. I chose the game, and I feel like karma has dealt Jim Crane his due ever since, given all of that franchise's missteps and ugliness over the last three years.

But I digress.

Yes, I somehow feel better when we're not hearing about this rumor or that... seems when a lot of chatter is going on, it ends up being only chatter.

You guys have no idea what the hype, sports wise, in Ohio. It's ridiculous . Lebron home, Johnny Football, Braxton leading a Heisman list... I'm glad I'm a sports fan because there's nothing else to do...

lol you guys sound like cranky old men.  Magic Johnson got what he wanted, even coaches fired.  MJ got what he wanted, even Zeek left off the olympic squad.  Bird and the gang got rid of coaches.  Dr. J was catered to.  Shaq manipulated the Magic.  On and on.  Pro-sports has always been about catering to the superstar.   Go drink an ensure and get your blood sugar up lol.  As for it being quiet, I think it just is time for guys to take a break.   The front offices have been going full tilt since September of 2013.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

The Love thing is overstated. He is coming because Cleveland has lottery assets to deal -- not because of Lebron. Lebron's influence is that Cleveland feels ok to deal these assets because Lebron's presence means Love wants to be there.

Lebrun has masterfully manipulated the situation to jump to the Heat (with two stars) to the Cavs (one star and lottery picks). Cherry picking to be sure but that will cut both ways for his legacy.

• Like 1

Is it me or are American pro sports becoming less enjoyable as the years go on? Lebron really has me soured on the NBA. That guy has way too much influence on the league as demonstrated by his signing holding up all of FA  and now the Love saga. The NFL is just getting boring with the rules changes, never ending "instant" replay (the nfl has this system completely wrong), and the complete loss of defense. MLB is slightly better as they at least have some semblance of competitive balance while not completely bogging the flow of the game with "instant" replay (it should not be in baseball, imo). 

Sigh, well I still hold out hope that the Hawks will make a major roster move- like adding Monroe and then making a trade to upgrade the our starting off guard or small forward. 

Sports are always less enjoyable . . . when the teams you root for don't win.  When your team doesn't win, you're forced to either become a fan of the league, or stop watching at all until next season.

Had we'd been in the running for Lebron, I'm sure your outlook on sports would change.

I like that we aren't making any big moves

We are a system team with a top-5 coach and continuity is important

We can't overhaul the team each year or they'll never get precise with the system

We won 38 games last year.   The team may need overhauling.

The Hawks are banking on a bunch of 8th man type role players to improve us.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

• Premium Member

I've looked at it from a few angles, and honestly, I don't see how we fit into the equation unless it's to be that team that supplies Love's replacement at PF... ie, Millsap.

CLE is said to be ready to take on Martin, but want to move Waiters in the process. Hard to see DF being ready to take-on someone who has been so public with his myopic concern on his own stats. PHI is said to be not just willing, but interested in Waiters.

For us to move Millsap, it seems rational to think we'd have to come out of a deal with (a) a legit rim protecting C who could take 20 minutes a night and allow Horf some time at the 4, and (b) a solid combo F who can play PF when Horf plays C, and SF when Horf is playing PF--and more or less replace Millsap's stats.

PSH knows where I'm going with this... (LINK)... hehe... but it's true, I really have thought about it, and I really don't see any other reasonable way for us to fit. Maybe someone else does (?).

Sports are always less enjoyable . . . when the teams you root for don't win.  When your team doesn't win, you're forced to either become a fan of the league, or stop watching at all until next season.

Had we'd been in the running for Lebron, I'm sure your outlook on sports would change.

Heh, probably true! Though I do have to say the NFL has become less and less enjoyable with the constant fiddling with the rules and the unending play stoppage.