• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Merged: Greg Monroe Topics

NBASupes

• Premium Member

Those guys all have potentially, but it would be a huge surprise if any of them matured into elite players.  Given where they were drafted and/or the free agent dollars involved, just becoming consistent contributors is a good result for the Hawks.

That said, if the Hawks added talent in the form of Payne, Tavares and Bazemore, what do we call what the Hornets did in terms of adding Vonleh, Stephenson and Hairston? How about the Bulls adding McDermott and Mirotic? 

Why didnt LA offer Bazemore more of a contract?  They had loads of capspace.   I hope Bazemore becomes a very good player but based on his offers he looks more like another bench role player, and this season will show.

I like Payne, he is a rook and I hope he does well.  

• Premium Member

Those guys all have potentially, but it would be a huge surprise if any of them matured into elite players.  Given where they were drafted and/or the free agent dollars involved, just becoming consistent contributors is a good result for the Hawks.

That said, if the Hawks added talent in the form of Payne, Tavares and Bazemore, what do we call what the Hornets did in terms of adding Vonleh, Stephenson and Hairston? How about the Bulls adding McDermott and Mirotic? 

I can't suggest how much i like the team that they have build in Charlotte.  We will have big clashes over the years.

I still think that their weak point is PG and that will be made more clear as the years go on.

However, if they have any leadership in their lockerroom, having Hairston and Stephenson could be a big win.

• Premium Member

Why didnt LA offer Bazemore more of a contract?  They had loads of capspace.   I hope Bazemore becomes a very good player but based on his offers he looks more like another bench role player, and this season will show.

I like Payne, he is a rook and I hope he does well.  

LA had bigger fish on their plate.  They wanted to make a big splash and bring in Melo or Deng or Bron...  They swung hard and missed.  The return of Kobe and Swaggy P is probably why Baze is here and not there.

• Premium Member

LA had bigger fish on their plate.  They wanted to make a big splash and bring in Melo or Deng or Bron...  They swung hard and missed.  The return of Kobe and Swaggy P is probably why Baze is here and not there.

I guess my point was they had other guys they liked better.

• Premium Member

I guess my point was they had other guys they liked better.

If you look at them, they let very good guys go...

Gasol.  Bazemore.  Meeks.   And I like them keeping Swaggy P and Wesley Johnson (Sf) as well as Xavier Henry (SG). If we didn't get Bazemore,I would have wanted us to look at either Johnson or Henry also.

I can't suggest how much i like the team that they have build in Charlotte.  We will have big clashes over the years.

I still think that their weak point is PG and that will be made more clear as the years go on.

However, if they have any leadership in their lockerroom, having Hairston and Stephenson could be a big win.

Many would argue that Kemba Walker is better than Teague.

• Premium Member

Absolutely they are an upgrade.  Gasol is one of the, if not the best low post big man in the east.  Deng is a very good 6-9 wing that can shoot, take it to the basket and defend.  

I tell yall what, lets watch the games and see what happens this year. 

We shall see.  Should be interesting and hopefully if DF is right, the MB will give him credit for a change

• Premium Member

I've already put up documentation that said we lowballed Deng.

You've heard from Smoove that he was never contacted, this after Ferry said that Smoove is a top priority going into the offseason.

And that proves what exactly? You think it's a good idea to pay Deng 12+ million per in his current state? And lets not forget Ferry offered Smoove 3 years 45 million prior to his free agency season. Quite frankly after that season, everybody should be happy Ferry made the decision to cut ties with him, especially after it became evident Smoove couldn't help the Hawks land Dwight. And I'm sorry, but I find it very hard to believe that a team who was more than willing to pay Joe Johnson 120+ million would then turn and lowball players who are clearly better.
  • Like 3

I can't suggest how much i like the team that they have build in Charlotte. We will have big clashes over the years.

Charlotte will still struggle with reliable shooting to effectively space the floor.

Hawks won 3 of 4 from Charlotte last season. 2 without Horford. Charlottes win came in the 2nd tto last game of the season with no Millsap and 23 minutes from Teague.

I'm not worried about Charlotte. I've asked the 8 ball and it says: Al Jeff won't have a season like last year, Stephenson will be hogging the ball. He'll be trying to make the ASG.

• Moderators

Greg Monroe is "definitely" willing to take the one-year qualifying offer worth $5.3 million next season with the Detroit Pistons in order to become an unrestricted free agent in 2015.

Monroe has disputed being offered a five-year, $60 million contract by the Pistons.

Monroe reportedly doesn’t have anything against the Pistons or new coach/president Stan Van Gundy. In fact, the source said, Monroe “likes Van Gundy and likes what he says,” but added that Monroe “needs proof (of Van Gundy’s vision).”

The Pistons have attempted to trade Josh Smith at various times in the offseason as he has been a bad fit in the frontcourt with Monroe and Andre Drummond.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234606/Greg-Monroe-Definitely-Willing-To-Take-Qualifying-Offer

Charlotte will still struggle with reliable shooting to effectively space the floor.

Hawks won 3 of 4 from Charlotte last season. 2 without Horford. Charlottes win came in the 2nd tto last game of the season with no Millsap and 23 minutes from Teague.

I'm not worried about Charlotte. I've asked the 8 ball and it says: Al Jeff won't have a season like last year, Stephenson will be hogging the ball. He'll be trying to make the ASG.

100% agreed. I'm worried about the Wizards and Raptors more after the Cavs and Bulls.

• Premium Member

And that proves what exactly? You think it's a good idea to pay Deng 12+ million per in his current state? And lets not forget Ferry offered Smoove 3 years 45 million prior to his free agency season. Quite frankly after that season, everybody should be happy Ferry made the decision to cut ties with him, especially after it became evident Smoove couldn't help the Hawks land Dwight. And I'm sorry, but I find it very hard to believe that a team who was more than willing to pay Joe Johnson 120+ million would then turn and lowball players who are clearly better.

I don't think we even offered him 9.  The article I put up said that we didn't offer him 10.  The article that Jay wrote said that Deng was unhappy with what we offered.  He eventually accepted 10 from the Heat.  If we had offered 11, don't you think he would have taken it being that he took 10?

Secondly, we got Joe under a different GM.  I think Ferry likes capspace and doesn't like stars.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That's similar to saying that they don't really have a coach?

you need to wake up, Bud is not the only guy coaching out there?  Their coach got Jefferson to play defense!!  Sloan couldn't do that.  So you're believing that all the sudden their coach is going to go on hiatus and everything will fall apart?

OK....

• Premium Member

Based on everything said, his best option seems to be QO.  That will force Detroit to trade him to the team of his choosing.

Because at the end of the day, Detroit doesn't want to Josh Smith him.

• Moderators

Based on everything said, his best option seems to be QO.  That will force Detroit to trade him to the team of his choosing.

Because at the end of the day, Detroit doesn't want to Josh Smith him.

I wonder if this is what Danny is holding out for.  Monroe's QO is just north of $5 mil.  A lot better than $14 mil AND we could get Monroe for a lot less than Millsap.  I'm thinking DMC + Jenkins and move Sap to SF.  A lot teams moving athletic PF's to SF and playing big lineups this year (LAL w/ Boozer, CHI w/ Gibson, DEN w/ Gallinari, etc.).  Our starting lineup could be Monroe/Horford/Sap/Korver/Teague by the deadline.  That starting group is elite offensively and average defensively.  We could get to the ECF with that lineup.

That's similar to saying that they don't really have a coach?

you need to wake up, Bud is not the only guy coaching out there? Their coach got Jefferson to play defense!! Sloan couldn't do that. So you're believing that all the sudden their coach is going to go on hiatus and everything will fall apart?

OK....

It's MY opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Many would argue that Kemba Walker is better than Teague.

Many would be dead-a** wrong.

Sorry that's not a Paul George response ... (get it, PG-13)

pat.gif

Edited by kg01

100% agreed. I'm worried about the Wizards and Raptors more after the Cavs and Bulls.

I still think the Wiz and cRaptors each had the culmination of a lot of contract years and best seasons of guys' careers all at the same time.  Both coaches were on the verge of being on the hot seat.  I'd say it's just as likely that they both fall back a bit as it is they each take that next step.

• Premium Member

I don't think we even offered him 9. The article I put up said that we didn't offer him 10. The article that Jay wrote said that Deng was unhappy with what we offered. He eventually accepted 10 from the Heat. If we had offered 11, don't you think he would have taken it being that he took 10?

Secondly, we got Joe under a different GM. I think Ferry likes capspace and doesn't like stars.

That article also said Lance Stephenson was a possible target which was completely inaccurate. At any rate, the way Deng has declined the last few years, I and many other Hawks fans wouldn't have agreed with paying him 9 million per. And then there was this from a more credible source...

Doesn't sound like lowballing to me. And no matter who the GM is, the ASG still signs the checks and have some say in what the Hawks do.