• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Offseason grades by David Aldridge

Vol4ever

16) ATLANTA HAWKS

2013-14 RECORD: 38-44, lost in first round

ADDED: F Adreian Payne (first round, 15th pick overall); C Walter Tavares (second round, 43rd pick overall); G Lamar Patterson (Draft rights acquired from Milwaukee); G/F Thabo Sefolosha (three years, $12 million); G Kent Bazemore (two years, $4 million)

LOST: G Lou Williams (traded to Toronto); G/F John Salmons (waived)

RETAINED: F Mike Scott (three years, $10 million); G Shelvin Mack (three years, $7.3 million)

THE KEY MAN: F/C Al Horford. Horford missed the final 53 games of last season after tearing his pectoral muscle, and his return to good form is a must if Atlanta is to build on its seventh straight postseason appearance. Horford has missed significant time in two of the last three seasons with pectoral injuries after being pretty healthy his first four pro seasons; that's a disturbing trend line.

THE SKINNY: Methodically, GM Danny Ferry is adding solid, high-character guys to his roster. Payne, the four-year Michigan State man, is the latest. He should contribute right away, having established his stretch four bona fides his last year-plus in East Lansing. Keeping Scott and Mack at reasonable prices is a very good buy; Bazemore could find a home playing off of the likes of Horford and Paul Millsap, cutting off the wings and spotting up for threes. But the Hawks will have to likely make their call this season on whether Jeff Teague or Dennis Schröder is their guy at the point. And, Atlanta has not been able to get a serious look the last two summers from the elite free agents, despite having cap room and great coaching and player development. That's something Ferry is going to have to address and correct in the near future. Rolling over cap room to the next year is good and practical from a business standpoint, but not inspiring to an already sleepy fan base. At some point, the Hawks have to seriously be in the game.

Just to save y'all from scrolling all the way down to our usual spot (Hint: right smack in the middle).

Edited by kg01

I really don't know what Ferry can do.  If we are offering guys the max and they don't take it, what can you do?  If we offer guys trades(Orlando) and they refuse to deal what can you do?   If you blow it up you will not get a look from the Superstars.   

I really don't know what Ferry can do. If we are offering guys the max and they don't take it, what can you do? If we offer guys trades(Orlando) and they refuse to deal what can you do? If you blow it up you will not get a look from the Superstars.

So you're saying we screwed no matter what?

This was pretty spot on but I agree that I'm not sure how Ferry addresses getting marquee free agents interested.  The best way I know how is to excite players with our style, our core, and our fanbase.

Only way I know how to do that is to get past the second round of the playoffs.

So you're saying we screwed no matter what?

It would seem.  But, I think one thing we can do is bring a different breed of guy in.  We have enough good guys and Type B's.  We need a type a with a little chip on their shoulder.  Imagine if Horf was more outgoing and presented a bigger presence off the court?  What if Teague had a little more flash?  We need a Nique off the court as much as on the court.  Nique had the shoe deals, club, famous friends, and a little controversy.  We need something that makes people talk.  

I don't buy this "superstar" stuff turning a franchise around. The Clippers aqcuired 2 by FA and the draft, and I still think of them as the same bumbling outfit. The franchise brass and leaders have to turn the corner first, and that's what we've done. Y'all might remember the 2014 NBA Finals where a team of superstars were thoroughly dominated by a middle-tier payroll with no fanfare outside a small portion of Texas. Wasn't too long ago.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

I don't buy this "superstar" stuff turning a franchise around. The Clippers aqcuired 2 by FA and the draft, and I still think of them as the same bumbling outfit. The franchise brass and leaders have to turn the corner first, and that's what we've done. Y'all might remember the 2014 NBA Finals where a team of superstars were thoroughly dominated by a middle-tier payroll with no fanfare outside a small portion of Texas. Wasn't too long ago.

Timmy and Pepe Le Pew are stars.  Plain and simple.  

I don't think anybody's saying "superstar", "superstar", "superstar" and that's the end of it.  We certainly need talent upgrades in order to truly become a contender.  We've been unable to do that consistently via FAgency.  I think that is what folks are railing against.

Also, I think you just basically said Timmy, Tony P, Manu are chopped liver.  Let's not forget those guys are 1st ballot HOFers.  They're superstars too.

It would seem. But, I think one thing we can do is bring a different breed of guy in. We have enough good guys and Type B's. We need a type a with a little chip on their shoulder. Imagine if Horf was more outgoing and presented a bigger presence off the court? What if Teague had a little more flash? We need a Nique off the court as much as on the court. Nique had the shoe deals, club, famous friends, and a little controversy. We need something that makes people talk.

Ya Nique had all that...and a cockback hammer dunk that made you fly outta ur seat and damn near have a heart attack...(even as a youngsta).

It would seem.  But, I think one thing we can do is bring a different breed of guy in.  We have enough good guys and Type B's.  We need a type a with a little chip on their shoulder.  Imagine if Horf was more outgoing and presented a bigger presence off the court?  What if Teague had a little more flash?  We need a Nique off the court as much as on the court.  Nique had the shoe deals, club, famous friends, and a little controversy.  We need something that makes people talk.  

Seems that, as stated many times before, we're going to have to acquire that type of player via the draft. While the ways to get this are varied amongst us, it still may be our best hope. That said... drafting in the 15-20+ range will make it less likely, but still possible. 

Edited by Mdizzle5

I really don't know what Ferry can do.  If we are offering guys the max and they don't take it, what can you do?  If we offer guys trades(Orlando) and they refuse to deal what can you do?   If you blow it up you will not get a look from the Superstars.   

How about target the guys that people may overlook . . . or may have doubts about.

If we can't attract superstars, that's one thing.  But we can bring good players in here.  You simply have to target the right ones.

I'm sorry folks, and I know some of  you are tired of hearing it, but Al Jefferson and Lance Stephenson could BOTH be Hawks right now.   Jefferson said himself that the only team really showing him love, was Charlotte.   And with Lance, no one was even going after the guy, until Charlotte stepped up and wooed him in 24 hours.

At some point, the blame can't be placed on players not wanting to come here.  It has to be placed on the GM, and the type of players that he's targeting . . .or not targeting.

• Like 3

The Clippers are at least in the conversation though.  You could say that they're maybe one more player away from getting to the Finals.

We're nowhere near the conversation.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

You mean the Spurs? The team with three HoF players and a HoF coach? Or the Heat with at least 2 HoF players? Kinda hard to tell the superstar laden teams apart in the Finals.

• Like 3

How about target the guys that people may overlook . . . or may have doubts about.

If we can't attract superstars, that's one thing. But we can bring good players in here. You simply have to target the right ones.

I'm sorry folks, and I know some of you are tired of hearing it, but Al Jefferson and Lance Stephenson could BOTH be Hawks right now. Jefferson said himself that the only team really showing him love, was Charlotte. And with Lance, no one was even going after the guy, until Charlotte stepped up and wooed him in 24 hours.

At some point, the blame can't be placed on players not wanting to come here. It has to be placed on the GM, and the type of players that he's targeting . . .or not targeting.

We are tired of the Al Jefferson bit because he did target Millsap (a guy who may be overlooked) and got him and he was an Allstar last season. But you discount that because you wanted Al Jeff. DF and Bud WANTED Millsap to pair with Horford - plain and simple. You make it seem like he got Solomon Jones in lieu of Al Jeff instead of Millsap the Allstar.