There is an old saying:  "What you see is what you get."

Has our final roster been set?  Are the Hawks thru signing free agents

and making trades?

We very well may enter the season with this roster and it may remain

the same until near the trade deadline.  We have no guarantee that it

will change then.  This may be us.

We didn't spend mega $$$ just to sign one of those supposedly super

stars.  Those players who, in their own mind's eye, can leap tall buildings,

take a team on their back and, with no help, carry them to the promise land.

There are those who believe that the Hawks will never amount to anything

because they can't or won't do whatever it takes to grab one of these players.

Sure, it would be great to fill Phillips Arena with those worshiping fans who

only come out because of the mega star.

They come out now, but only when our opponent has this great one that

they just must see and drool over.

Hawks haven't put all their eggs in one basket, so to speak.  We don't have

to rely on that great one who, if he goes down to injuries, all is lost.  Hawks

have some good, ordinary type players.  They believe in each other and they

believe in Bud and his system.

If "What we see is what we get," it ain't bad!!

GO ATLANTA DREAM !!

• Moderators

I think this is it.   And barring them laying an egg in the first half, I think this is our team for the year.   I could see us active at the trade deadline but only trading bench guys should an impact player be on the block.  I think we are rolling with this team.   

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think this is it.   And barring them laying an egg in the first half, I think this is our team for the year.   I could see us active at the trade deadline but only trading bench guys should an impact player be on the block.  I think we are rolling with this team.   

Not so fast my friend.  With 2 of out 5 of our starters on expiring deals, I would not be surprised if we shake up the starting unit and trade for a long term option.  We have 4 positions on the starting lineup that could be traded for (assuming Al can play either 4 or 5) and if Teague gets off to a slow start, it could be 5.  We could seriously trade for Monroe, Rondo, or a slew of other guys in the rumor mill.

And to the OP, what you see on paper is always different from what you see on the court.  I believe Thabo is going to be a huge improvement for us.  Not sure what to expect from Bazemore, Scott, Jenkins, or Payne though.

• Premium Member

I may be in the minority but I tell you what, you can dress this summer up all you like but there was not enough improvement to the roster.  Say what you want about Deng, be he is far better than anything we have on the wing and it will show during the season.

I know there are those on this board that accept whatever is given to them.  I want to win period and when I see a GM and ownership group that failed this summer I don't like it at all.

If I took the shortcuts in my business and just settled I would be really disappointed in myself. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

This is the roster for the year. I caught C Viv doing an interview on XM86 yesterday and he said the Hawks had decided to put all their eggs in one basket in that they believe (surprise) that they didn't get a chance to see how good they could have been because Al got hurt.

• Like 1

GO ATLANTA DREAM !!

Im worried because they havent played great basketball in some time. Im not sure they can just switch it on but I sure as hell hope they figure out how to do it. Theyve come so close in the past.

• Like 1

I had a feeling our roster would be a collection of players like this once last season ended. There was a twinge of excitement that we would improve our roster, but as usual we lost out on pretty much anyone that would have taken this team to another level. Instead we churn the bottom of the FA barrel to hope we get a guy who can contribute to a mediocre team that will lose in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs, heck even fight to make the playoffs. Then we had to listen to the crap about flexibility and such when we know we will never use that flexibility...yea this is our roster, and while I will be praying they do better than last year, I know that is all it is...a prayer.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know it's fun and all to talk about how the Hawks can't attract free agents but the only true impact FA that we could have had and i would want at the money they signed for is Lance Stephenson.   And it's a question mark whether he'll be a real impact guy or not. 

Parsons, Bosh, Hayward got contracts I don't want.

Pau might have been ok but I don't have any faith he'd be healthly or productive for us.  Deng isn't necessary for us.

Melo, Lebron and Wade no one really had a shot at them. 

So I'm not crying over 'no one taking our money' this offseason.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I know it's fun and all to talk about how the Hawks can't attract free agents but the only true impact FA that we could have had and i would want at the money they signed for is Lance Stephenson.   And it's a question mark whether he'll be a real impact guy or not. 

Pau might have been ok but I don't have any faith he'd be healthly or productive for us.  Deng isn't necessary for us.

Pau is probably the best big man in the east right now. He is getting older but he can still outplay anyone we have. Deng would have been a upgrade for sure. We signed second tier bench players and we will remain a second tier team.

You talk about not wanting contracts and that is the attitude the asg wants all fans to have.

• Moderators

With Melo, Lebron, Dirk and Wade, I would definitely put Lebron, Dirk and Wade in the "not taking our money" category since we could have equaled or outbid for each of them.  Melo wouldn't take our money but we couldn't match what he got from NY so I don't put him in this category.

Pau took less than we offered so that is a no-brainer that we would want him.

Lance took a very reasonable deal, as you point out.

Ariza's deal may end up looking good.

Isaiah Thomas' deal looks great to me right now.  I would happily deal $7M of our contracts for him.

McBob and Hawes both signed for a little more annually than we paid Elton Brand last year.

Other than the studs signing with the teams that drafted them (Dirk, Lebron, Wade, etc.), there were still a number of reasonable deals that I can definitely make a case for wanting.  I am still not sure how the Suns got Thomas on such a great deal.  His numbers last year were amazing as a scorer.