• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How bad was Big Dog Really?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I can't speak for everybody but when I think of the history of our franchise, Big Dog Robinson gives me a bad taste.  However, lately, I went back and asked myself why... I looked at his stats. .. ~21, 7, and 3.

He played under Lon Kruger and Terry Stotts.  Two guys who couldn't get it together.

What would he have done under Lenny or Bud?

It's time for Hawks fans to forgive the Big Dog!

robinson_90_020812.jpg

• Admin

I can't speak for everybody but when I think of the history of our franchise, Big Dog Robinson gives me a bad taste.  However, lately, I went back and asked myself why... I looked at his stats. .. ~21, 7, and 3.

He played under Lon Kruger and Terry Stotts.  Two guys who couldn't get it together.

What would he have done under Lenny or Bud?

It's time for Hawks fans to forgive the Big Dog!

robinson_90_020812.jpg

It was not just him it was the whole team....we had a lot of talent but there was no chemistry 

JT was supposed to be the point guard...he was really a shooting guard

Ratliff was awesome the previous season in Philly but seemed like a shell when he came to ATL

SAR's game did not mix either

Then we had Dion Glover and Ira Newble playing the SG for us.

They just didn't play well together and it shows how important chemistry is to a team.  YOu can have a ton of talent but if the right mix is not there then it is not going to work.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Part of issue for Big Dog when he was in Atlanta was efficiency as well.  He put up career lows or near career lows in FG%, TS%, PER, WS/48, ORtg, and TOV%.  When you add in his lack of D, it really undercuts the nice volume generated stats driven by his near career high usage rate.

When you lose your shooting touch and turn the ball over worse than you have since you were a rookie, that probably is going to mute most of your offensive contributions and leave the fans with a sour taste in their mouth.

We lost the trade when we dealt for him.  Badly: we gave up TJ Ford and Toni Kukoc.

• Like 1

Yeah that team was a mess and I try to forget about it.  Those were the days we were trying to go solely based on talent with guys like him and Isaiah Rider.

A lot of those teams looked good on paper but they weren't consistent or proven winners.  This left us with bad chemistry and the wrong group of guys with no offensive flow or sharing of the ball.  A good true point gaurd along the way would've helped.....makes me so glad that we finally have one now - our first real one since Mookie honestly.  Makes a huge difference.

• Premium Member

Yeah that team was a mess and I try to forget about it.  Those were the days we were trying to go solely based on talent with guys like him and Isaiah Rider.

A lot of those teams looked good on paper but they weren't consistent or proven winners.  This left us with bad chemistry and the wrong group of guys with no offensive flow or sharing of the ball.  A good true point gaurd along the way would've helped.....makes me so glad that we finally have one now - our first real one since Mookie honestly.  Makes a huge difference.

i almost cried when Cleveland took Miller.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Big Dog clone on this team would be bad

We are built around ball movement and high efficiency shots...we don't need black hole nor shots going to a more inefficient player

Ironically, he won an NBA championship with the Spurs!!!