• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

Wow @ the Gearon letter

THIS IS CRAZY 

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2014/09/08/Gearon_letter.pdf

If he keeps his job I might be done with this team.  This can't happen.

He is now going viral. I can't see how he can keep his job now. He is trending on Twitter and ESPN pundits are getting a hold of it now.

I want Gearon gone as well though.

Edited by GameTime
  • Like 2

I was going to make a joke post earlier listing "will peddle fake Gucci from the bench" as one of the things said in lieu of the "has some African in him" comment but clearly I've had more sensitivity training than Ferry.

I will absolutely flip my lid and consequently check myself into a psych ward if it's also revealed that Ferry had a photo of Michael Blackson as a powerpoint slide or binder cover for scouting reports while discussing Deng.  I'll need to purge any semblance I have to the ASG from my thoughts.

Ferry should have watched his back though knowing that Gearon was already gunning for him after Smoove was let go.

• Premium Member

There's nothing inherently wrong or politically incorrect with wanting more draw among demographic groups or seeking out resources to increase interest levels among said groups. It's what advertising is all about. 

Now, if you say that...you open a door here.

You have to also be able to say, "We want more white people at the games.  Let's get some more white players on the team.  It'd be great to sign that guy, because he can really connect us with the white fans and increase our viability with the white market."

I don't see a difference here.  That sounds like something right out of Bruce's Email.  He'd LOVE to have that really talent white guy.  Not because he's talented, but because of the market he could connect that Hawks to.

Switch it up and it gets more un-PC and questionable...

[*edit - I think I'll just keep my colorful examples out so I don't get Hawksquawk fired.  :)]

It's ok for the media to discuss and it makes a good story.  Nothing wrong with talking about it.  But when race/nationality is a significant factor in your free agent decisions - that's bad.  Demographic consideration it's necessary for people that sell consumer products.  It's got no place when you're hiring people to work for you.  Which is what NBA players do.  They work for the franchise...

In light of that, the concern has to be performance, chemistry, cost (salary), experience...there are a many valid qualifiers.  Race isn't a politically correct one.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

Just want to be 1000% sure with what people here are thinking:

Do you believe Ferry 

A: was reading verbatim from a scouting report 

OR

B: these were his thoughts that he organically said during the call

Based on here and what I'm reading on twitter it seems like more B than A.

Glad to hear someone see's the light that Ferry must be fired. I know I don't matter much as a individual but I will not watch or support this team this season if we go into the season with Ferry as GM. This is a blessing in disguise. People around here do nothing but turn a blind eye to Ferry not upgrading our talent level. This along with his personnel decisions should get him fired.

• Like 2

If you take your biases/sympathies away and if you're just honest about this...it's not so hard to connect the dots.  There's plenty of information to extrapolate a very good educated guess about what's going on in our front office.

Levenson's comments show you the vision that *THEY* have for the franchise.  It's business sure, but there's a preference for a certain audience and to pander to that audience.  Is it mostly a money thing?  Sure, but the assumption that black people don't have/spend money and that there aren't enough affluent African Americans to support this thing?  The fact that this is an open and comfortable conversation between owners kind of just spells it out.

If they are so concerned over race that they brainstorm over marketing minutia such as the ethnicity of the cheerleaders, kiss cam, music...doesn't it stand to reason that they want a TEAM that is as appealing to that crowd as well?

I know some of you don't want to think anything bad about Ferry, but...it's pretty clear what's going on.  They're looking to built a team a certain way and that means be particularly mindful of the actual team on the floor.

This is why Deng isn't "perfect."  Otherwise, from a basketball standards POV, how does he NOT fit the Ferry plan?  It  just doesn't make any sense.  Especially since he is still a young guy by Ferry's own admission.  There is absolutely no valid explanation for including a player's nationality in a scouting report and certainly not in Deng's case.

This is as much about talent as it is the appearance/marketability of a player in relationship to their appeal to the target audience.  That's it.  Look at what they're doing:

• Team basketball (IMO throwback basketball)
  • International guys (But "African" is "not perfect" for their vision)
  • Hard working guys (Including a quiet guy named Paul Millsap, by way of Utah, that they just erected a statue to)
  • High character guys (I.E - no thugs)
  • White cheerleaders
  • Music that appeals to white people
  • Less hip hop
  • OPEN conversation about racial prefrence...
The vision is clear and it's not about winning so much as it is about winning and getting more white people in the arena.  Someone in the ownership doesn't agree with our direction/marketing strategy and pounced on the opportunity to create change.

What should really be upsetting people is the fact that our ownership is still VERY MUCH meddling in our team building.  I know you guys want to trust Ferry and believe in him so much...but this is exactly what I said it was.  

They ASG is still calling the shots.  They just have a GM that shares their vision.

huh

If you take your biases/sympathies away and if you're just honest about this...it's not so hard to connect the dots.  There's plenty of information to extrapolate a very good educated guess about what's going on in our front office.

Levenson's comments show you the vision that *THEY* have for the franchise.  It's business sure, but there's a preference for a certain audience and to pander to that audience.  Is it mostly a money thing?  Sure, but the assumption that black people don't have/spend money and that there aren't enough affluent African Americans to support this thing?  The fact that this is an open and comfortable conversation between owners kind of just spells it out.

If they are so concerned over race that they brainstorm over marketing minutia such as the ethnicity of the cheerleaders, kiss cam, music...doesn't it stand to reason that they want a TEAM that is as appealing to that crowd as well?

I know some of you don't want to think anything bad about Ferry, but...it's pretty clear what's going on.  They're looking to built a team a certain way and that means be particularly mindful of the actual team on the floor.

This is why Deng isn't "perfect."  Otherwise, from a basketball standards POV, how does he NOT fit the Ferry plan?  It  just doesn't make any sense.  Especially since he is still a young guy by Ferry's own admission.  There is absolutely no valid explanation for including a player's nationality in a scouting report and certainly not in Deng's case.

This is as much about talent as it is the appearance/marketability of a player in relationship to their appeal to the target audience.  That's it.  Look at what they're doing:

• Team basketball (IMO throwback basketball)
  • International guys (But "African" is "not perfect" for their vision)
  • Hard working guys (Including a quiet guy named Paul Millsap, by way of Utah, that they just erected a statue to)
  • High character guys (I.E - no thugs)
  • White cheerleaders
  • Music that appeals to white people
  • Less hip hop
  • OPEN conversation about racial prefrence...
The vision is clear and it's not about winning so much as it is about winning and getting more white people in the arena.  Someone in the ownership doesn't agree with our direction/marketing strategy and pounced on the opportunity to create change.

What should really be upsetting people is the fact that our ownership is still VERY MUCH meddling in our team building.  I know you guys want to trust Ferry and believe in him so much...but this is exactly what I said it was.  

They ASG is still calling the shots.  They just have a GM that shares their vision.

Excellent post.

And honestly, it explains why the GM immediately signed Korver at the very beginning of free agency in 2013. Overpaid for him and everything ( or at least gave him a lengthy contract ).

The Spurs style is supposedly much more appealing to their targeted demographic, than what we saw with The Highlight Factory teams ( even though they drew better at the gate ).

So now look at us. We have a team that loves to move the ball and jack up 3s ( 2nd in 3 point attempts last season ). No more ISO. No more huge contracts. The belief that everything we're doing is the Spurs Way.

All of that is great.

But when those moves translates into less people going to games, they get mad?

Interesting to see that we were last in the NBA in dunks last season. Maybe ATL fans want a little of The Highlight Factory back ... instead of the Jack Em Up offense.

• Like 1

Just want to be 1000% sure with what people here are thinking:

Do you believe Ferry 

A: was reading verbatim from a scouting report 

OR

B: these were his thoughts that he organically said during the call

Based on here and what I'm reading on twitter it seems like more B than A.

Everyone knows Ferry was reading a scouting report.  It's the fact that he was comfortable enough to read something like that aloud.  So he either agreed with it or he's too stupid to proof read anything.  Not good leadership material either way.

• Like 4

huh

Excellent post.

And honestly, it explains why the GM immediately signed Korver at the very beginning of free agency in 2013. Overpaid for him and everything ( or at least gave him a lengthy contract ).

The Spurs style is supposedly much more appealing to their targeted demographic, than what we saw with The Highlight Factory teams ( even though they drew better at the gate ).

So now look at us. We have a team that loves to move the ball and jack up 3s ( 2nd in 3 point attempts last season ). No more ISO. No more huge contracts. The belief that everything we're doing is the Spurs Way.

All of that is great.

Interesting to see that we were last in the NBA in dunks last season. Maybe ATL fans want a little of The Highlight Factory back ... instead of the Jack Em Up offense.

Um your timing is off here...the email was written before the 2012 season started AKA the summer Ferry was hired.

"The Spurs Way" hadn't played one game therefore there was no attendance yet for those moves yet.

• Premium Member

huh

Excellent post.

All of that is great.

This is the missing link for me.  You can't rationally look at our playoff history, our free agent history, our assets, and the history of non-lottery picks and then decide to tweak a middle of the pack team indefinitely.  Rebuild was the move, but no...

It all makes sense now.

• Like 1