• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Threads where someone mentioned Phillips as unsafe?

Levenson mentioned that fan sites said Phillips was unsafe. So the squawk is basically the only fan site from before 2012. Does anyone recall threads of that nature? I sure as hell don't. I recall lots of threads discussing attendance woes stemming from A$G incompetence and public infrastructure issues, but safety was never something I recall from those threads.

Am I taking crazy pills here? If anyone recalls those threads, then post them here. But we can now be assured our dopey owners check this site on their iPads.

Edited by hawksfanatic

• Premium Member

Don't be surprised when you hear certain Atlanta radio personalities (John Kincade) confirm this bs claim tomorrow.

• Like 1

I would say my family had the greatest ever  arena or stadium experience at a Dream game and weve been at alot several venues. Ive never had any problem or issue with anything but the dam traffic when visiting and attending Phillips. Just get in the city early and enjoy the attractions before you hit the game. Its easy when your visiting and off work that day. Idk how you guys do it who come from the surrounding area after you get off work.

• Like 1

I vaguely remember a discussion about why fans aren't going to games and someone mentioned the area being unsafe. I called it a bunch of crock and stated that I've never once felt unsafe going to Phillps and taking my 6 year old.

The comeback from the poster was he didn't like the panhandlers to which I responded - I see them they beg I either give or don't and keep on moving, they don't disrupt my enjoyment of going to Phillips.

That's what I remember.

Found it @JayBirdHawk!

Which is after Levenson made the claim.

I'm more than willing to change my stance on this stuff, but I have a fairly good memory and I don't recall safety as a concern. Damn you Levenson, damn you to hell! (unless he is referring to RealGM as @Hairydawgz suggested, which in that case that site sucks)

Can you link the thread as well?

• Moderators

A quote that stood out to me:

When I hear some people saying the arena is in the wrong place I think it is code for there are too many blacks at the games.

This isn't true either. It's the wrong place because the Hawks fans live in Cobb and Gwinnett. Traffic is a bitch in Atlanta and people just don't want to drive back into Atlanta after fighting their way out. And these white fans he Bruce speaks of... Name a major city/capital in the US where the whites live majorly downtown. They don't. Blacks live intercity while the whites are in the burbs. It's just how it is. You want to attract more white fans? Move to the burbs where that type of fan is. The Braves got the message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of the Phillips area being unsafe narrative came from NASCAR of all places. Back when they were deciding where to put their Hall of Fame, Atlanta and Charlotte were the two finalists. Some old school NASCAR muckity muck said "Would you want to be out down there after dark?" And it took off from there.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I admit myself and others have said in various threads over the years that the area around the arena is not safe because, well, it simply is not. I have driven family and friends to games there and going through some of the downtown to get there is in fact driving through bad neighborhoods. There's simply no other way to put it.

The area immediately around the arena is relatively safe but getting TO the arena? Hell no it is not safe. I mean what major city's downtown area is going to be safe as, what, the suburbs? Is that we are comparing it to?

I'm not so sure "unsafe" but we have had numerous discussions on this board that have talked about the downtown area being really far and inconvenient for most of the fans north of town.  Specifically that getting in and out of Philips is harder than leaving a Braves game.  Because Philips is located farther from I75/85 and I20, there is too much stop and go getting away from the stadium.  That no matter how much the city tries, northside whites will not embrace MARTA. The discussions weren't about Philips being unsafe or the downtown being unsafe but about MARTA being unsafe.  Once on MARTA, you are trapped on the train till it stops. That's a bit creepier than walking around Centennial.

Hey! I never used the term panhandlers. That was @Bahamut, but quickly rereading that thread it doesn't look like anyone thought the panhandlers actually made it unsafe. I know I've never thought of that area of Atlanta as unsafe. I don't like the "bums" because they are unpleasant to me. Funny smelling and they try to suck you in to conversations of them trying to get money from you in all kinds of ways. Even when you ignore them, you still hear them and I would rather not deal with it.

But definitely funny that you were responding to me! I do give out that aura of being a sun_bespectacled.gif type of person!

If I used the term panhandlers it's because that's the term I hear people use, but I never complain about that myself. People mentioning that are just anti-downtown. If you follow the link, you'll see that fanatic and jay used the term "bums" though. Edited by Bahamut

I admit myself and others have said in various threads over the years that the area around the arena is not safe because, well, it simply is not. I have driven family and friends to games there and going through some of the downtown to get there is in fact driving through bad neighborhoods. There's simply no other way to put it.The area immediately around the arena is relatively safe but getting TO the arena? Hell no it is not safe. I mean what major city's downtown area is going to be safe as, what, the suburbs? Is that we are comparing it to?

Yep. Criminals are just waiting to carjack somebody going to a Hawks game, especially when they're already stuck in traffic.

And those poor people who are walking on sidewalks in their own neighborhood? Yep .. they're just too scary to drive past.

And those homeless people who ask for a dollar? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I don't ever want my kids to see me give a homeless person a dollar!!

• Like 3

• Moderators

I think it's unsafe as hell down there.  

Un-tethered hawks flying around the arena ready to claw people's eyes out.  

High voltage electrical systems that don't seem to be grounded.   

Second level steps to your seats that are steeper than machu picchu

Some kind of weird ice cream from the future

and this guy:

Pero_Antic_Macendonia_to_NBA.png

I mean I wouldn't take my grandmother that's for sure.

• Like 1

I mean is it that hard to hope onto marta from the DSSR? (Dunwoody sandy springs roswell area)

I think it's unsafe as hell down there.

Un-tethered hawks flying around the arena ready to claw people's eyes out.

High voltage electrical systems that don't seem to be grounded.

Second level steps to your seats that are steeper than machu picchu

Some kind of weird ice cream from the future

and this guy:

Pero_Antic_Macendonia_to_NBA.png

I mean I wouldn't take my grandmother that's for sure.

Dont forget those jack and coke icee things
  • Like 1