• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If Ferry stays on as GM...

Sothron

I don't think C is actually the best explanation because if he had a point for reading those words there isn't a point he could have been making that could not have been made with both (a) much less offensive language and (b) much clearer language.

It seems to me the most realistic possibility is something less extreme than those statements:

D)  It didn't strike him as being that out there (when it should have) and he F'd up.  Sloppy work and lack of self-awareness rather than total incompetence or blatant and unashamed racism.

Does sloppy work and a lack of awareness seem like Ferry traits to you? They certainly don't to me. 

The appropriate way to handle the situation was and is obvious. You look at the report and you tell your business partners that I don't think we should be using this scouts report because he exercises poor judgement when making decisions. He makes some statements on his report that lead me to think he is quite unprofessional. If you are intrigued about exactly what he said I can forward it to you via email. Moving on to the next report.

Edited by MrMeltdown

I'm past the point of wanting to argue about this anymore so we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I'll wait until all of the facts come out before deciding either way. 

I thought it was more of a rational discussion than arguing...

I thought it was more of a rational discussion than arguing...

You're right it's a rational discussion... perhaps I'm still a little burned out here, but didn't mean to imply though that it was something heated or whatever. Just meant I don't feel like continuing to go back and forth on the same points. 

• Like 1

There's only two options here, guys:

Ferry said that on his own and did not read it from a report.

Ferry did not say that on his own and read it from a report.

One option makes him a racist. The other option makes him a fool.

There's no win/win here. Either he's a racist or an idiot for not proof reading or even self editing himself after saying something as amazingly racist as what he did.

We either have Marge Schott as a GM or Ron Burgundy. Go us?

Hypothetically, if Ferry were reading that as proof that we should not put stock into a scouting report from someone, then how would people feel about it? That could very well be reaching on my part as I like to hope for the best in people, but I can see it being plausible as well. 

• Like 1

You're right it's a rational discussion... perhaps I'm still a little burned out here, but didn't mean to imply though that it was something heated or whatever. Just meant I don't feel like continuing to go back and forth on the same points. 

I understand.  I like the back and forth.  Gives me something to do.

• Moderators

Hypothetically, if Ferry were reading that as proof that we should not put stock into a scouting report from someone, then how would people feel about it? That could very well be reaching on my part as I like to hope for the best in people, but I can see it being plausible as well. 

Hypothetically, Ferry shouldn't even be punished if that was the case.  That is the kind of context that the Hawks need to get out there if it is true.  This entire situation with Ferry would be shut down if he could honestly say, "I cited that language from the scouting report as a reason why the Hawks should no longer associate with this scout.  While I regret even quoting these words, I want to be clear that I was not endorsing them but was instead condemning this type of language."

• Like 4

Hypothetically, Ferry shouldn't even be punished if that was the case.  That is the kind of context that the Hawks need to get out there if it is true.  This entire situation with Ferry would be shut down if he could honestly say, "I cited that language from the scouting report as a reason why the Hawks should no longer associate with this scout.  While I regret even quoting these words, I want to be clear that I was not endorsing them but was instead condemning this type of language."

Agreed.

I just wish that I could quickly see the bad in people that some of you do, but my :sun: disposition just don't allow me to. I really hope that there's a good reason for him to have read that statement. I have my doubts though. 

• Premium Member

I honestly wish I could believe that. But we all know if that was true they would have already said so. It would have saved both Ferry and the team a ton of face.

I honestly wish I could believe that. But we all know if that was true they would have already said so. It would have saved both Ferry and the team a ton of face.

I'm just trying to find some way of understanding all of this but you are probably right.  

1. I would like to see the scouting report

2. I would think that the independent council reviewed said report along with Gearon's recording of the conference call.

3. They recommended that Ferry be disciplined not fired

4., WE NEED NEW OWNERSHIP

Lenny was Hall of Fame as a coach and as a player, coach of the NBA Champs, and NBA Coach of the Year.  I think Bud has a ways to go to prove he's better than Lenny.  Just as an aside - the last time I got totally disgusted with the Hawks was when they fired Wilkins. 

Edited by Randy

Ownership sucks , but Danny Ferry has rid us of  the horrible Joe Johnson contract , rid us of the petulant and immature Josh Smith , and got character guys on this team .  I will give him the benefit of the doubt over anyone wishing to blow this out of proportion , especially the outside agitators who relish in piling on anytime a white makes a stupid remark .  I dont condone what he said , it was insensitive, and stereotypical BUT ignorant comments like this are made everyday in society - it doesnt excuse it and I certainly want to see the context and origin of the remarks - but to classify them as racist  is a little over the top .

If they are his remarks he needs to be punished and mandated racial insensitivity classes. But while we are all throwing stones, Mic up any NBA game or locker room and I promise you you will hear much worse.

• Like 1

Agreed.

I just wish that I could quickly see the bad in people that some of you do, but my :sun: disposition just don't allow me to. I really hope that there's a good reason for him to have read that statement. I have my doubts though.

I don't think it has anything to do with seeing the bad in people. It's all about seeing the potential money and prospects being lost, if we kept him on.

The Levenson letter combined with what was in the scouting report that the GM read, makes this a very toxic situation for the Hawks. And to me, you can't put the entire organization in jeopardy, just to save one person.