• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If Ferry stays on as GM...

Sothron

It is all about the racism aspect though. We should be pretty damn sure that someone is a racist before we take away their livelihood.

Not really.  It's about whether or not he can be effective at his job.  Doesn't matter if he's a racist or not.

ETA: That's like saying a guy that gets fired for getting a DUI (which happens all the time) needs to be an alcoholic before his employer can fire him.

Edited by kg01

So hypothetically speaking you're an NBA player.  Two teams offer you similar contracts.  Both organizations have fairly similar success and both systems fit you but one of the team's GM had a highly publicized rant that had racial elements.  The other GM is squeaky clean and has only ever had positive things said about him.  Does that affect the decision you make?

That's problem with this.  When it comes to close decisions does this display put our team at a disadvantage?  If the answer is yes then you owe it to the fans and organization to correct it.

And teams will flat out use this against us, when vying for the same free agents.

you are probably right - However if Silver and the CEO  of the Hawks has his back , Ferry does have a good track record as a gm and has put a competitive and fun team on the floor - a lot depends on if there is anything else that may come out .

Wow.

That team won 38 games last year, and pushed a Pacers team in turmoil to 7 games, and people think we're on the brink of something great ... despite missing out on every good free agent this summer.

Ferry got called out as late as early April for his comments about making the playoffs not being important. Even SOME Hawks fans though we were thinking about tanking for a ping pong ball.

I've said even before all of this went down, that the GM is nothing but a used car salesman. Can't attract big names. Doesn't target the right personnel. We're a solid .500 team in the Ferry Administration, with us losing more games in Year 2, yet Ferry is the savior?

People are willing to bring him back, and risk losing what little support we already have in the city? People still trust the decision making of the GM after all of this?

I'm sorry. I'm not willing to play Russian Roulette with the credibility of this franchise, just to keep a mediocre GM in power.

Get him, and the rest of those clowns outta here.

Another log on the fire.

The sharks are coming.  The internet is a bitch.  Those things that were attributed to Ferry but were swept under the rug because of his good guy high character and others not so high character or being re-evaluated as we speak.

Michael Jordan better go in to hibernation if we are going to start holding comments made as a player against front office personnel.  I'm sure Michael has said a slew of things that were racially insensitive and insensitive to many other groups.

Edited by JETSET

Another log on the fire.

The sharks are coming.  The internet is a bitch.  Those things that were attributed to Ferry but were swept under the rug because of his good guy high character and others not so high character or being re-evaluated as we speak.

Hawks fans have propped up this dude as being the Savior, simply because he got us out from under JJ's contract.

People forget that Ferry has always been one of those stereotypical Dukies who carried himself like he's better than everyone.

Whether people believe Bonzi or not, the fact is that our beloved GM is nowhere near as smart or squeaky clean as they think he is.

Hawks fans have propped up this dude as being the Savior, simply because he got us out from under JJ's contract.

People forget that Ferry has always been one of those stereotypical Dukies who carried himself like he's better than everyone.

Whether people believe Bonzi or not, the fact is that our beloved GM is nowhere near as smart or squeaky clean as they think he is.

There's not a single person in this world that is as smart or squeaky clean as any one thinks they are.  Don't act like you have never made an insensitive remark in your life. 

and you know you are grasping for straws when you cite a statement from Bonzi freaking Wells.  A guy who was known for giving the bird finger to fans, assaulting officials and constantly being at conflict with his coaches.  These are only his on-court issues.

Wow.

That team won 38 games last year, and pushed a Pacers team in turmoil to 7 games, and people think we're on the brink of something great ... despite missing out on every good free agent this summer.

Ferry got called out as late as early April for his comments about making the playoffs not being important. Even SOME Hawks fans though we were thinking about tanking for a ping pong ball.

I've said even before all of this went down, that the GM is nothing but a used car salesman. Can't attract big names. Doesn't target the right personnel. We're a solid .500 team in the Ferry Administration, with us losing more games in Year 2, yet Ferry is the savior?

People are willing to bring him back, and risk losing what little support we already have in the city? People still trust the decision making of the GM after all of this?

I'm sorry. I'm not willing to play Russian Roulette with the credibility of this franchise, just to keep a mediocre GM in power.

Get him, and the rest of those clowns outta here.

Kinda convenient that you forgot to talk about how the Hawks were the number 3 seed and playing great ball until Horford went down  and a series of injuries robbed the team of momentum - I dont like losses, but I do like to see a team embrace a team philosophy and even in the losses the team played hard and gave me all I needed to see to know we are moving in the right direction.

Another log on the fire.

Bonzi " Thug" Wells ?? Really ?? That dude was a piece of trash  that always made excuses and and blamed others for his poor play and bad behavior.  Anyone that would quote that pos as a credible source is living outside of  reality.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Hawks fans have propped up this dude as being the Savior, simply because the stars aligned and a someone desperate enough emerged to swallow JJ's contract.

Fixed that for you North.  

It is just crazy to me how people are so in love with Danny Ferry.  We have done NOTHING, but can you imagine if we actually win a playoff series?

bs22.jpg

Oh, you can just forget about it then...  

"Danny Ferry is AMAZING!  This team went out there and WON a first round playoff series!  They won it!  I can't believe it.  This is the happiest day of my life as an Atlanta Hawks fan!"

The media, who pays no attention to us anyway, will give us our 2 minutes of fame:

"After years and years of winning 45 to 50 games and making the playoffs and sometimes advancing to the 2nd round of the playoffs, the Hawks had finally had enough.  That's when Danny Ferry came in and turned things around.  Under the careful guidance of their new GM, last season the Hawks won 48 games and advanced to the second round of the playoffs."

We'll be retiring his Cleveland jersey in Phillips.  This is the main reason why I cringed when Horford went down.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

Fixed that for you North.  

It is just crazy to me how hard people are so in love with Danny Ferry.  We have done NOTHING, but can you imagine if we actually win a playoff series?

Oh, you can just forget about it then...  

"Danny Ferry is AMAZING!  This team went out there and WON a first round playoff series!  They won it!  I can't believe it.  This is the happiest day of my life as an Atlanta Hawks fan!"

The media, who pays no attention to us anyway, will give us our 2 minutes of fame:

"After years and years of winning 45 to 50 games and making the playoffs and sometimes advancing to the 2nd round of the playoffs, the Hawks had finally had enough.  That's when Danny Ferry came in and turned things around.  Under the careful guidance of their new GM, last season the Hawks won 48 games and advanced to the second round of the playoffs."

We'll be retiring his Cleveland jersey in Phillips.  This is the main reason why I cringed when Horford went down.

But man you're forgetting that banner we hung for being the 3-seed after 30 games.

Ah now I see - you just want Ferry gone period - I get it - Silvers support and the support thats coming from prominent NBA figures must really disturb you - really like the "DUKE CONSPIRACY" angle , lol.

Lol.  I'm not Wretch but I resemble your remarks.

• Moderators

Ah now I see - you just want Ferry gone period - I get it - Silvers support and the support thats coming from prominent NBA figures must really disturb you - really like the "DUKE CONSPIRACY" angle , lol.

He didn't like Ferry's approach to building this team before there was any race controversy.  

• Premium Member

You make a lot of assumptions.  

No, none of that disturbs me because everybody has their opinion.  

I don't think Ferry or Levenson are racists.  I actually think they're decent people (imagine that).  Levenson I think is out of touch with the game and with the black community and his comments are terrible.  I think Ferry has kicked that conversation around with him and that's why he received the Email.  I think Ferry's an elitist and I don't agree with how he's building the team.

We don't have the best stock of trade-able assets and we're not moving the best ones we have.  Making the playoffs means we don't have lottery picks to develop into impact players or deal for established stars (see CP3, Big 3 Celtics, Kevin Love, etc.).  If you know the history and makeup of the draft, you'd understand that finding an impact player beyond pick 14 or so has about a 2% success rate.

No lottery, no real trades...we're stuck depending on free agency - and we're not very popular with them.  Moreso after this current debacle.  I don't think I'm in any way unreasonable for thinking that we need a regime change and either a new general manager or the same guy with a more flexible plan.

Kinda speaks to your character though that the only comeback you've got to address the fact of our middling performance before Horford went down is, "you're mad."

You make a lot of assumptions.  

No, none of that disturbs me because everybody has their opinion.  

I don't think Ferry or Levenson are racists.  I actually think they're decent people (imagine that).  Levenson I think is out of touch with the game and with the black community and his comments are terrible.  I think Ferry has kicked that conversation around with him and that's why he received the Email.  I think Ferry's an elitist and I don't agree with how he's building the team.

We don't have the best stock of trade-able assets and we're not moving the best ones we have.  Making the playoffs means we don't have lottery picks to develop into impact players or deal for established stars (see CP3, Big 3 Celtics, Kevin Love, etc.).  If you know the history and makeup of the draft, you'd understand that finding an impact player beyond pick 14 or so has about a 2% success rate.

No lottery, no real trades...we're stuck depending on free agency - and we're not very popular with them.  Moreso after this current debacle.  I don't think I'm in any way unreasonable for thinking that we need a regime change and either a new general manager or the same guy with a more flexible plan.

Kinda speaks to your character though that the only comeback you've got to address the fact of our middling performance before Horford went down is, "you're mad."

If only all of the "anti-Ferry" posts were this rational. I was starting to think all that was left was a bunch of cheap and condescending sarcasm. 

When we've bee fed nothing but turd pudding and turd sandwiches from our GMs for the past oh I dunno, 20+ years, of course whomever the new guy is are going to give us hope and belief that he's going to turn it around. So far Ferry has done a good job and he's got the program going in the right direction. If anyone here really thought that in 1 year with Bud (and without our best player) that we were all of a sudden going to win the championship then that's your problem with expectations, not Ferry's problem with delivering.

Seriously though, tell me when was the last Hawks team that was this DEEP in talent and still had all of our future draft picks? I'll wait...

• Moderators

Aldridge's column also raises this point about how perception may play out if Ferry stays as GM:

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/features/david_aldridge/09/11/aldridge-danny-ferry-atlanta-hawks-situation-bruce-levenson-racism/index.html

Perhaps the next owner will seek out the support of the entire Atlanta community. The shame of the dysfunction in Atlanta's front office is that the Hawks were improving on the floor, taking Indiana to seven games in the first round even without All-Star Al Horford, on the shelf for the season with a torn pectoral muscle. But while Ferry had built a solid team with solid, low-priced free agents, Atlanta had failed miserably in its pursuit of superstars like LeBron James, Chris Paul or Dwight Howard. The Hawks were always on the outside looking in.

They'll need the Hubble Telescope to see how far away they are now.

Edited by AHF