• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The shakedown artists have gathered now.................

Wurider05

Per the AJC, the Hawks have cancelled a meeting with "civil right" leaders. These clowns are looking for  money and will not leave this alone until the Hawks cut them a check. There is no chance of this dying down now.

This is not going to end well. I just know it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Per the AJC, the Hawks have cancelled a meeting with "civil right" leaders. These clowns are looking for  money and will not leave this alone until the Hawks cut them a check. There is no chance of this dying down now.

This is not going to end well. I just know it.

Typical of the race baiters.

Yeah Koonin was so good with black people yesterday because he knows Tyler Perry. Today he does not want to deal with black people. You guys are so out of touch with reality and the truth.

The Hawls requested that the meeting be POSTPONED the day before but they still show up for a photo-op? What sense does that make?

The Hawls requested that the meeting be POSTPONED the day before but they still show up for a photo-op? What sense does that make?

Who says that the Hawks requested that the meeting be postponed the day before? I read that they postponed it "last minute".

I posted earlier that the Hawks PR guy called Tuesdsy evening to request

The Rev. Markel Hutchins announced Wednesday's meeting was called off "at the last minute." He later said he received a call from Hawks spokesman Garin Narain on Tuesday night asking that it be postponed. Hutchins said he needed to hear that request directly from Koonin. USA Today Sports - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.2uWaz4bo.dpuf

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I posted earlier that the Hawks PR guy called Tuesdsy evening to request

The Rev. Markel Hutchins announced Wednesday's meeting was called off "at the last minute." He later said he received a call from Hawks spokesman Garin Narain on Tuesday night asking that it be postponed. Hutchins said he needed to hear that request directly from Koonin. USA Today Sports - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.2uWaz4bo.dpuf

So once again where is Koonin? One day people are claiming he is such an asset even with the black people because they love him and he loves Tyler Perry and everyone knows the goodness of his heart. Then all of a sudden he starts shunning people and chances to help make things right.

So once again where is Koonin? One day people are claiming he is such an asset even with the black people because they love him and he loves Tyler Perry and everyone knows the goodness of his heart. Then all of a sudden he starts shunning people and chances to help make things right.

Shunning people? And what's this Tyler Perry nonsense got to do with anything?

Ever think that maybe he's got more important stuff going on right now than dealing with these grandstanders? I'm sure if he didn't he would have just met with them vs creating this mess.

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is on Koonin directly or not.  I said from the beginning that a meeting with these folks to create a dialogue was necessary if for no other reason than to keep them from "protesting" and drawing attention to themselves (obviously) and to the Hawks (by extension).

That said, you know who and what they are.  Grandstanders.  If you're gonna dance with the devil (i.e. have the meeting) you need to operate as if you know your opponent.  If you set the meeting, have the meeting.  Otherwise you invite them to accuse you of "blowing them off" or "disrespecting them".  

Just poor Hawks management once again which is why I'm not apt to call Koonin out personally.  My guess is it's more likely he was told not to have any further contact with them.

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is on Koonin directly or not.  I said from the beginning that a meeting with these folks to create a dialogue was necessary if for no other reason than to keep them from "protesting" and drawing attention to themselves (obviously) and to the Hawks (by extension).

That said, you know who and what they are.  Grandstanders.  If you're gonna dance with the devil (i.e. have the meeting) you need to operate as if you know your opponent.  If you set the meeting, have the meeting.  Otherwise you invite them to accuse you of "blowing them off" or "disrespecting them".  

Just poor Hawks management once again which is why I'm not apt to call Koonin out personally.  My guess is it's more likely he was told not to have any further contact with them.

This. Koonin isn't dumb and is surely connected and working with top civil rights leaders. Taking the meeting and giving these guys a stage could have done more harm than good in truly repairing the community

• Moderators

It's just about high noon. Have the Hawks' brass had it's meeting of the minds with Protest, Inc., yet?

Another pet-peeve of mine. I know we've got precious few executives-of-color as it is, but still, what are they paying Garin the big bucks for? Don't wait for the sit-ins to pile up. You're the VP of Public Relations, G. Get out there and Relate with The Public!

http://www.nba.com/hawks/general_info/staff_directory.html

Also more than a little weird, but probably explanatory of my conundrum: when you look under what the Hawks call "Public Relations" there are two components: "Media Relations" and "Corporate Communications." That's not quite all-encompassing when I consider what "Public Relations" means.

What they do have under "Community Development," further down the organizational food chain, seems to be answering to someone higher up than Garin. And maybe that's why Garin is doing not much more than issuing press releases. He's a "Cavs Guy", too, so while his presence helps Ferry to show he's not Evil Incarnate, it'd be hard for him to avoid looking like he's caping for Ferry when the tough questions come.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

So, 24 hours later... did somebody get paid off? It got awfully quiet all of a sudden.

Just for the folks that think some of us (particularly "citizens o' color") don't see Rev. Hutchins for what he is (and has been):

~lw3

• Like 3