• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Melo: Free agents will spurn Hawks

BudBall

Honestly, is anyone surprised?

Sadly yes....and when ferry is fired there will be more!

Thing is people don't realize ferry is more likely to be fired depending in how nba players react to the situation....if most players feel similar to melo (and if I had a million bucks I would bet they do l) then ferry is a sure goner.

“I support Adam Silver 100 percent,” Anthony said. “I think he’s done a great job since he’s been in. I think he came in with fire underneath him, and with a lot of things he had to focus in on, but I think he’s done a great job.” New York Post - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.hEgpWQ00.dpuf

Mmmmm.....so does that mean he supports Silver's stance regarding DF and his punishment ? Just asking :-)

“I support Adam Silver 100 percent,” Anthony said. “I think he’s done a great job since he’s been in. I think he came in with fire underneath him, and with a lot of things he had to focus in on, but I think he’s done a great job.” New York Post - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.hEgpWQ00.dpuf

Mmmmm.....so does that mean he supports Silver's stance regarding DF and his punishment ? Just asking :-)

Jay, don't read too much into it, this is the same guy who said "I want to win. I don't care about the money." .....after signing a $124 million deal, more than he could sign with any other team, with a lottery team.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/nba-carmelo-anthony-knicks-bulls

The message may have merit but the messenger does not.

Carmelo is not the definitive word on anything but it would be naive to think this won't negatively impact our free agent recruiting next year. The only real questions are how long that lasts and whether we reexamine our strategy in light of this. While I have pushed to tank in the past I don't think we can afford to be anything but competitive with this stigma on the team but this pretty much cements us as an early exit team the next few years, IMO.

Well that sounds fun.

Sadly yes....and when ferry is fired there will be more!

Thing is people don't realize ferry is more likely to be fired depending in how nba players react to the situation....if most players feel similar to melo (and if I had a million bucks I would bet they do l) then ferry is a sure goner.

I think people are just circling the Hawks-homer wagon around "their guy".  I don't begrudge them for doing it but I'm sure if this were the Hornets or some other random team no one would be surprised or upset at the anti-Ferry sentiment.

I think people are just circling the Hawks-homer wagon around "their guy". I don't begrudge them for doing it but I'm sure if this were the Hornets or some other random team no one would be surprised or upset at the anti-Ferry sentiment.

The same can be said for those who didn't want Ferry or agree with his approach to building the team.

People still don't want to believe this? Come on.

The NBA does not seem like a place with a lot of differing thought. It seems like a copycat league where a lot of people go along with the mass belief. One superstar thinks it, then another, and then another.

Yeah cause the Hawks were a top FA destination before.

And where is the outrage at the Cavs?? What's Melo's thought on James Dolans trayvon song?? I hate when people pick and choose what issues to stand for

Exactly. Melo full of shit and who ever believes Melo is crap too. 

I definitely think the message has merit.  IMO, we absolutely will not be able to sign the same group of players that a team like the Bulls will be able to sign the next few years in light of this incident all other things being equal.  Some players will rule us out on principal because of the racism, some will rule us out because we are never legit contenders, and some will rule us out because the team is unstable and has been in disarray with the owners fighting each other and the GM in a very precarious position.  Frankly, who will it surprise if Ferry never returns from this indefinite leave of absence?  The first thought when I read that Ferry was taking a leave is that he wouldn't return.  I backed off that some when I read his statement but the attractiveness of the Hawks to a player has gone from bad to worse because of the negative attention this has drawn to the franchise, our owners, and our GM.

It didnt stop anyone from going to the clippers

Whenever Melo wins anything ill care, until then his opinion is insignificant. The guy can't even communicate in English. Somebody needs to translate his words for me. Learn to speak Melo.

"[There] ain't nobody [who] would want to go there," Anthony said Saturday at the Citi Carmelo Anthony Basketball camp in Manhattan.

• Moderators

It didnt stop anyone from going to the clippers

Did you start following the NBA when Chris Paul was handed to the Clips by the league?

Before then the Clippers spent 30 years being avoided by the elite free agents.

Even our own GM refused to play for them and they drafted him #2 overall! Ferry fled to Italy until they traded him. All other major free agents didn't have to do anything so drastic. They simply did what Pau Gasol did this summer and turned down offers from the Clippers.

It isn't that the Clips never got any free agents. You will always fill a roster. It is that the best talent wouldn't sign with them and they were the standard bearers for incompetence for 3 decades. Elton May have been their best FA signing and his massive new contract netted the a single All-Star season and a single post-season appearance. Not exactly the nucleus of champions.

• Like 3

Seems a bit of a ridiculous comparison as the Clippers couldn't draw free agents because their owner was an incredibly cheap bastard that nobody liked. His players weren't just leaving either, he was refusing to pay them what they were worth.

Ferry isn't racist nor is he cheap. And I highly doubt the common perception from agents and players around the league is that he is.

Feel free to bookmark this post but I'm confident if Ferry remains that we won't have any trouble getting free agents next year and beyond.