• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Melo: Free agents will spurn Hawks

BudBall

• Moderators

Ferry already had trouble getting top free agents. This will just make it worse.

If it was all about $$s and Ferry could land anyone with the dollars, we would be introducing Gasol. The issues run deeper than minutes and dollars and this will make things worse. My opinion.

• Like 3

Seems a bit of a ridiculous comparison as the Clippers couldn't draw free agents because their owner was an incredibly cheap bastard that nobody liked. His players weren't just leaving either, he was refusing to pay them what they were worth.

Well that and he prolly made some comments about their bodies and pee pee's and wee wee's in the visiting lockeroom so they knew what they were in for if they played for the home team Clipps..lol

Seems a bit of a ridiculous comparison as the Clippers couldn't draw free agents because their owner was an incredibly cheap bastard that nobody liked. His players weren't just leaving either, he was refusing to pay them what they were worth.

Ferry isn't racist nor is he cheap. And I highly doubt the common perception from agents and players around the league is that he is.

Feel free to bookmark this post but I'm confident if Ferry remains that we won't have any trouble getting free agents next year and beyond.

Ferry is cheap, he doesn't want to overpay for C+ level guys, B and A level guys don't consider us even when we offer more. We are actually in a worst situation than the Clippers because we don't tank unlike the Clippers who always tank. The Clippers incompetent within was and is much worst than us but they at least had players like Bill Walton, CP3, Blake Griffin, and other players. We haven't even had the drafts that the Clippers have had.

Ferry is a racist. That's unquestionable. I just don't think he's a bigot. I strongly don't believe he's a bigot.

LOL, you really want to bookmark this. We had as much money as anyone and our best signing were Bazemore and some other scrub. What more do you want. We signed Sap but no one was offering Sap. That's like Charlotte bragging about Al Jefferson, no one else offered. Same for Smoove and Detroit.

If you believe that, I can promise you that GA Whites will vote for democrats and a Black democratic candidate in the next election in a majority form. Good luck if you believe that.

Ferry already had trouble getting top free agents. This will just make it worse.

If it was all about $$s and Ferry could land anyone with the dollars, we would be introducing Gasol. The issues run deeper than minutes and dollars and this will make things worse. My opinion.

The issues are we aren't a team who's gotten past the 1st round in a while. Once we get past the 1st and perform well in the 2nd and maybe advance past, we will draw players. But the biggest issue is we don't have a superstar. CP3 and Blake single handedly changed that for the Clips, which kinda refutes your thoughts that Ferry and/or the ASG have to go since Sterling was still there with the Clips.

• Like 1

People forget about the proximity taint this carries. You don't think Bazemore and Sefalosha would step away from this mess if they could? I think the stink of this drives any free agent with options to another choice. We will get free agents, just not the best.

I think they're pros and they want to win and they'll do that here. At the end of the day that's more important than some off the court issue that doesn't directly impact them.

• Moderators

The issues are we aren't a team who's gotten past the 1st round in a while. Once we get past the 1st and perform well in the 2nd and maybe advance past, we will draw players. But the biggest issue is we don't have a superstar. CP3 and Blake single handedly changed that for the Clips, which kinda refutes your thoughts that Ferry and/or the ASG have to go since Sterling was still there with the Clips.

CP3 and Blake changed that for the Clips. Ferry won't play in the lottery (Blake) and the elite players won't touch us (CP3). But other than that we are in great shape to become a legit contender?

I have a hard time thinking that people really believe this won't get an issue but there is a very high % chance this debate becomes academic after the ownership change. If there is a new sheriff in town, Ferry probably takes a buyout and we never see this play out.

• Like 1

CP3 and Blake changed that for the Clips. Ferry won't play in the lottery (Blake) and the elite players won't touch us (CP3). But other than that we are in great shape to become a legit contender?

I have a hard time thinking that people really believe this won't get an issue but there is a very high % chance this debate becomes academic after the ownership change. If there is a new sheriff in town, Ferry probably takes a buyout and we never see this play out.

If we win (meaning deep playoff run) it will change. Not sure why you're trying to be difficult about that as you know that as well as I do.

Saying something and doing something are two different actions. At the end of the day, free agents make their decisions based on 3 main factors: money, playing time, and winning. Only in extreme cases are players making moves outside of these decisions.

At the end of the day, Ferry's comments don't affect the amount of money the Hawks can offer or the playing time available. I highly doubt our players start playing worse because of these comments, so winning is likely unaffected.

As I've said before, the leverage in negotiations may have changed against Ferry. But if you REALLY think players are truly upset and would never consider the Hawks then I have a gif for ya I've already posted...

See this is just ridiculous. I'm supposed to believe a no name fan on a forum over a superstar in the NBA? Really?

Yall have made excuse after excuse as to why this isn't even remotely a big deal. That seems a little ridiculous.

I live for simplicity. I could just believe what Melo says or I could come up with this complicated world where it means absolutely nothing. I'll take the simple explanation.

Fact of the matter is the hawks were the ugly guy in high school before all this. They couldn't get a date. But now it's come out that they have herpes. And people want to say that doesn't matter.

• Like 1

• Moderators

If we win (meaning deep playoff run) it will change. Not sure why you're trying to be difficult about that as you know that as well as I do.

Not trying to be difficult. I just don't see this team as capable of a deep run and I saw Ferry staying flexible to land a stud FA. That seemed like a long shot before and now it seems like wishful thinking.

Not trying to be difficult. I just don't see this team as capable of a deep run and I saw Ferry staying flexible to land a stud FA. That seemed like a long shot before and now it seems like wishful thinking.

That's fair enough. We may not have enough for a deep run, but I believe with health we do.

And staying flexible can be for as much if not more about trades than just about marquee free agents.

Ferry is cheap, he doesn't want to overpay for C+ level guys, B and A level guys don't consider us even when we offer more. We are actually in a worst situation than the Clippers because we don't tank unlike the Clippers who always tank. The Clippers incompetent within was and is much worst than us but they at least had players like Bill Walton, CP3, Blake Griffin, and other players. We haven't even had the drafts that the Clippers have had.

Ferry is a racist. That's unquestionable. I just don't think he's a bigot. I strongly don't believe he's a bigot.

LOL, you really want to bookmark this. We had as much money as anyone and our best signing were Bazemore and some other scrub. What more do you want. We signed Sap but no one was offering Sap. That's like Charlotte bragging about Al Jefferson, no one else offered. Same for Smoove and Detroit.

If you believe that, I can promise you that GA Whites will vote for democrats and a Black democratic candidate in the next election in a majority form. Good luck if you believe that.

just to be clear, ferry denigrated a continent, not a race.  his defamatory comments about africans are actually a bit more ill informed than racist comments.  you're guessing that he is talking about black africans, and primarily west africans who on average have the phenotype that is most favorable to basketball.  but that is not what he said.  he defamed the entire continent.  Egyptians, Kenyans, Afrikanners, Nigerians, Hutu's, animals from Africa, women, men, gays, blacks whites, everyone. really stupid comment.

He also said deng has a bit of african in him.  Deng is proudly 100% Sudanese, I believe.

he made a mistake.  the cc was on a friday afternoon.

See this is just ridiculous. I'm supposed to believe a no name fan on a forum over a superstar in the NBA? Really?

Yall have made excuse after excuse as to why this isn't even remotely a big deal. That seems a little ridiculous.

I live for simplicity. I could just believe what Melo says or I could come up with this complicated world where it means absolutely nothing. I'll take the simple explanation.

Fact of the matter is the hawks were the ugly guy in high school before all this. They couldn't get a date. But now it's come out that they have herpes. And people want to say that doesn't matter.

This is a great thread because we get to touch on a real world issue. That is racial and cultural differences.

Dolf is early 40 late 30's and AHF is probably mid to early 40's white guys.

I am in my late 20's and you seem to be late 20's early 30's black guys.

The difference is simple. For most white guys, they said things they probably didn't mean and in their mind, it doesn't make them a bad person especially if they have Blacks who come out to their defense such as Ferry's case.

For that, they think it's okay and as long as they are sorry, they should be able to go back to doing their jobs normally. Now many if not most Blacks especially men are always on edge in this country with Whites due to covert racism and the hidden and hard felt effects of it. So when a White guy says this and they don't really have a relationship with him, they are sold that this guy ain't ish and he's the devil because it's hard to pinpoint the struggles they have when through, even as a star athlete or just growing up period. They are far less forgiven. Hence SAR yahoo article in response to Ferry.

What they don't get is unlike real life where they have all the advantages and Blacks well don't, in the NBA, this is a Black dominated sport. So they have options here. You can't say reckless shit and think ppl will be cool with it. So what we have is an epic problem which White guys don't see because they are use of the world revolving around them and Blacks clearly see it, even the ones who love to kiss whites asses for pats on the head. This is a major problem and as you mention, we were already like a ugly girl at the prom, now we are the ugly girl at the prom with a STD. Good luck getting a date. I tried to compare whites in GA voting for Blacks and democrats to make them understand but their mindset refuses to let them see that do to their use of supremacy. You see why I rarely go into race here even when most of the issues here revolve around race. You solve nothing in the process since they don't want to change or understand because it usually benefits them.

This is a major dynamic of HS we almost never talk about and for many reasons.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

• Moderators

To trade for a star you need lottery assets. We don't have those.

Remember when people were speculating about Love? How close were we?

Two #1 overall picks

Turns out a team dealing a stud wants cheap guys who could be studs: ie lottery assets.

Other trades have also seen lottery assets like the Harden trade (two lottery pick); Melo (lottery assets); Deron ( two top 5 picks); etc.

I don't view a trade as realistic without those lottery assets.

just to be clear, ferry denigrated a continent, not a race.  his defamatory comments about africans are actually a bit more ill informed than racist comments.  you're guessing that he is talking about black africans, and primarily west africans who on average have the phenotype that is most favorable to basketball.  but that is not what he said.  he defamed the entire continent.  Egyptians, Kenyans, Afrikanners, Nigerians, Hutu's, animals from Africa, women, men, gays, blacks whites, everyone. really stupid comment.

He also said deng has a bit of african in him.  Deng is proudly 100% Sudanese, I believe.

he made a mistake.  the cc was on a friday afternoon.

Naw, he was talking about Africans as most Americans talk about Africans. Don't play dumb with me kerry. I am not the person for that. I will unleash on you like a large pack of wolves and you don't want that. They were racist statements. Saying otherwise is foolish kerry. When someone says Jews, you know what they mean. We all in the country been here long enough to understand what ppl mean when they generalize. Playing the stupid as ish game isn't going very far with me my friend.

To trade for a star you need lottery assets. We don't have those.

Remember when people were speculating about Love? How close were we?

Two #1 overall picks

Turns out a team dealing a stud wants cheap guys who could be studs: ie lottery assets.

Other trades have also seen lottery assets like the Harden trade (two lottery pick); Melo (lottery assets); Deron ( two top 5 picks); etc.

I don't view a trade as realistic without those lottery assets.

I'm not saying we have to trade for a star. Just make trades that make us better. Trade vets for draft picks to try and get a star. Trade for young guys with the potential to break out. There are other options than trading for the best PF in the game and using that as your platform for why we'll fail at this strategy.

I'm not saying we have to trade for a star. Just make trades that make us better. Trade vets for draft picks to try and get a star. Trade for young guys with the potential to break out. There are other options than trading for the best PF in the game and using that as your platform for why we'll fail at this strategy.

AHF is making sense, teams aren't blindly trading lotto picks for vets anymore unless the vet is a star. It's hard to make trades when everyone is trying to win a trade.

This is a great thread because we get to touch on a real world issue. That is racial and cultural differences.

Dolf is early 40 late 30's and AHF is probably mid to early 40's white guys.

I am in my late 20's and you seem to be late 20's early 30's black guys.

The difference is simple. For most white guys, they said things they probably didn't mean and in their mind, it doesn't make them a bad person especially if they have Blacks who come out to their defense such as Ferry's case.

For that, they think it's okay and as long as they are sorry, they should be able to go back to doing their jobs normally. Now many if not most Blacks especially men are always on edge in this country with Whites due to covert racism and the hidden and hard felt effects of it. So when a White guy says this and they don't really have a relationship with him, they are sold that this guy ain't ish and he's the devil because it's hard to pinpoint the struggles they have when through, even as a star athlete or just growing up period. They are far less forgiven. Hence SAR yahoo article in response to Ferry.

What they don't get is unlike real life where they have all the advantages and Blacks well don't, in the NBA, this is a Black dominated sport. So they have options here. You can't say reckless shit and think ppl will be cool with it. So what we have is an epic problem which White guys don't see because they are use of the world revolving around them and Blacks clearly see it, even the ones who love to kiss whites asses for pats on the head. This is a major problem and as you mention, we were already like a ugly girl at the prom, now we are the ugly girl at the prom with a STD. Good luck getting a date. I tried to compare whites in GA voting for Blacks and democrats to make them understand but their mindset refuses to let them see that do to their use of supremacy. You see why I rarely go into race here even when most of the issues here revolve around race. You solve nothing in the process since they don't want to change or understand because it usually benefits them.

This is a major dynamic of HS we almost never talk about and for many reasons.

Poverty  and lack of education  will limit how far up the social and professional ladder you can climb. Experience and personal perception and ideology  shapes how you think .  Thats why you have such different viewpoints on this issue . I have white friends that think it was racist just as I have black friends that dont think its a big deal . I have liberal friends that  dont think it was a big deal as well as conservative friends that do .   Bottom line is if you dont think Ferry is a racist but still want him gone  what does that say about  the climate in America ??