• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Over grading the work of Ferry.

Diesel

• Premium Member

These same arguments are argued every year. At the end of the year we'll finish with 40 something wins a first or second round exit and next off-season we' ll see the same arguments and similar results. Some seem to accept that and if we win a few more games, they'll cite the progress and talk about next year...etc...

If you want to win you play to win. Mediocre is just saying OK you da boss, I'm happy being 14th.

Don't give a dam who the GM is as long as he/she is playing to win.

Also would rather root homegrown to a championship. Draft talent.

Labeling someone a hater and using it as an arguement is the weakest crap on the board, right after homerism.

Here's to the Hawks winning at least 50 and surprising in the playoffs. No championship Eastern Conference Finals, but hey it's the Hawks.

Had to fix that last line.  I'd really be happy, for ONCE, just to see this team in the conference finals.  Hell, I'd love to see a 7 game series in the 2nd round!

• Premium Member

If we were having this conversation 17 years ago, I would would say it's possible for us to win it all.  That was back when I didn't follow other teams (besides the Lakers) and I didn't pay too much attention to anything front office related except the draft.  After I got online and started poking around the internet, interacting with fans of other teams, and reading what other front offices were doing...and after watching other teams...  I realized that it's HARD to win a championship.

It takes a special team to go all the way.  More importantly though, I realized that what I wanted was a contender...a team that I could HOPE would actually make the finals.  Honestly, I think a contender is all you can really ask for.  A true contender though, y'know?  A team you're watching in the ECF's thinking, "Man if they just win this game...they could be headed to the finals!"

...and you'd have a chance to do that and live through that for years.  Ultimately, yeah...I'd want a championship.  A bunch of "runner up" appearances will make us just like the Braves.  If we have a team good enough to make the finals, then I want a championship.  At this point though, I just want a team that LOOKS like it could get there.  :(

• Like 1

• Moderators

Looks like the begining of another season with a team that doesnt look like a championship contender. Hope this "team based, hoping to land a star" works. Don t like to start seasons with teams that don t look like contenders

And you're a hawks fan?  When have we ever looked liked contenders at the beginning of the year?

• Like 1

"These same arguments are argued every year. At the end of the year we'll finish with 40 something wins a first or second round exit and next off-season we' ll see the same arguments and similar results. Some seem to accept that and if we win a few more games, they'll cite the progress and talk about next year...etc...

If you want to win you play to win. Mediocre is just saying OK you da boss, I'm happy being 14th."

I love how you two assume that you know how others are thinking.  Who says I am fine with being a treadmill or second round exit team?  That couldn't be farther from the truth and I want to win a title just as bad as any one else. 

I just think that this team is much better than either of you apparently believe.  A favorite to win the East?  Of course we aren't.  A lock to not make it past the second round?  I would disagree with that.  I think we can make it past the second round and possibly further if things go our way.  You can say talent this talent that all you want, but the Heat and OKC have been the most talented teams over the past 4 years and they are lucky to have 2 championships combined.  No one gave the Mavs a chance against the Heat.  We saw what happened when their shots were falling.  We saw the straight beating that the Spurs gave the Heat and OKC last season when their shots were falling.  I will say that we have less talent than the Spurs, but we can shoot just as well if not better.

At least the season is almost here and we will get to see who's opinion is closer to reality.  I just hope injuries don't disrupt our season, like last year, so we are able to see exactly what we have.  That's another thing, this unit and current construct hasn't even had a chance to play a full season together and you all are already writing them off as some mediocre team. I'm not buying what you are selling and I think you are in for a surprise.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I can't see why people are being critical of putting the Cavs and Bulls ahead of the Hawks. Lebron's last two teams won tons of games every year and made numerous conference and NBA finals. Chicago kicks our butt every year overall and h2h and added Pau, Rose, McDermott and Militic. It isn't a mathematical impossibility that we advance farther but how much better are their odds? 5x? 6x? It is a big gap.

I can't see why people are being critical of putting the Cavs and Bulls ahead of the Hawks. Lebron's last two teams won tons of games every year and made numerous conference and NBA finals. Chicago kicks our butt every year overall and h2h and added Pau, Rose, McDermott and Militic. It isn't a mathematical impossibility that we advance farther but how much better are their odds? 5x? 6x? It is a big gap.

Totally agree here. Chicago has the potential to be scary good, even without Rose. I think Charlotte and Washington are both going to be good teams and Toronto will have a good team as well. The East looks to finally be turning things around and building some quality teams. 

I just don't think they are unbeatable.  Would I put money on us in a series against either one if it started tomorrow?  Of course not, however, this is a long season and we don't know what the situation for each team will be once the playoffs roll around.  I think we have a shot against any team in the East if our shots are falling.

• Moderators

I just don't think they are unbeatable. Would I put money on us in a series against either one if it started tomorrow? Of course not, however, this is a long season and we don't know what the situation for each team will be once the playoffs roll around. I think we have a shot against any team in the East if our shots are falling.

Nobody is unbeatable. Our odds of winning the east are a long, long shot. That is the space we and all the other non contender playoff teams fall into.

• Like 1

Nobody is unbeatable. Our odds of winning the east are a long, long shot. That is the space we and all the other non contender playoff teams fall into.

I think it's smaller than most of you probably think.  The health of each team will always be key.  I think our depth is going to cause some serious problems for other teams.  Our second unit has been crushing teams to begin the second quarter.

We may be a long shot, but not a long, long shot. 

I'm just ready for the season to start so we can all get a real look.  This team is about to surprise a lot of people.

Edited by JETSET

• Moderators

We may be a long shot, but not a long, long shot. 

I am OK with us debating if they are a long shot or a long, long shot.  In this year's East, you can make solid arguments for either of those cases.

I'm just ready for the season to start so we can all get a real look.

Me too.  I am excited to see the real games.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that Ferry's time with the team is apparantly over, seems like we can now look at the body of work and judge.

2+ years, a scandalous exit and a very mediocre team. Worse record wise. Only positive is he saved ASG money and brought in Bud.

What now? 

#1 - nobody here knows if Ferry is done

#2 - even if he does leave, that doesn't mean we can grade draft picks who haven't even remotely gotten enough playing time to judge

It will be a couple more years before we can really judge these first 2 years on the job. 

What now?

#1 - nobody here knows if Ferry is done

#2 - even if he does leave, that doesn't mean we can grade draft picks who haven't even remotely gotten enough playing time to judge

It will be a couple more years before we can really judge these first 2 years on the job.

1) Ferry is gone until not and most recognise that he's toast. Burnt. Seen him lately? Meanwhile, his/our deficient team is out there exposing their mediocre and we're without a defacto GM.

2) Tired of this lame can't judge picks for years. Maybe you can't but I think talent shows and few break out after disappointing

1) Ferry is gone until not and most recognise that he's toast. Burnt. Seen him lately? Meanwhile, his/our deficient team is out there exposing their mediocre and we're without a defacto GM.

2) Tired of this lame can't judge picks for years. Maybe you can't but I think talent shows and few break out after disappointing

1. Your personal opinion (and mine either) does NOT represent "most". Nobody but the Hawks brass and owners know when or if he'll return. Anything by anyone outside of them at this point is simply speculation.  But have I seen him? How would I? Did you ever see him before? And yes our team missing our starter at SF, our team who are trying to re-incorporate Horford back into the offense, they're being exposed. Give me a break.

2. Sorry if you're tired of logic. Logic and common sense dictates that you can't judge rookie players within 1-2 years. So I guess you knew that Scott and Schröder would break out huh? Because others sure didn't when he had a disappointing rookie season. And people here wanted Schröder gone just a month ago. How could they have broken out when they didn't flash as rookies I wonder? It also works in reverse as well. Jenkins had a very solid rookie season shooting 40% from 3 and he's since regressed. Going by your theory he should be a sure fire hit. 

You won't look at it logically but Ferry has had very good success so far with his draft picks... even though it's still too early to say on ANY of them whether they'll end up being good players or not.

• Moderators

I view Ferry's draft skills as being much undecided at this point.

Payne - ???

Schröder - Looking good

Jenkins - Looking bad

Bebe - Bust (no possibility this gets salvaged since he was traded for no realized value)

Scott - Excellent pick (I have enjoyed my crow on that one)

Other 2nd rounders - Ennis - bust; Neto - traded for a future 2nd round pick; Tavarez - ???

The proof is in the results. We are not a contender. Ferry has officially been away from the Hawks for months and chances are we will not see him again.

I find it funny that onwership, management and on court results are desperate to bad but the pom pom girls police here keeps trying to shoot down any POV that isn't Hawks patriotic.

A fan should want expect their team to win. Our team has been built mediocre and Ferry has done nothing but mediocre as far as talent. And he has managed to get himself exiled from his GM duties.

GREAT JOB. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

• Premium Member

My thoughts are that too many people were quick to buy in on the idea that a team will win a championship if every piece fits well and we have many good mid-tier players.

Sorry folks, but that doesn't hold true.  San Antonio would be nothing without it's future hall of famers. 

Ferry tried to bake the cake without the most important pieces.

Moreover, for those of you who say he tried.  THIS IS ATLANTA.  The only way we can get star players is if we draft them.

Speaking of which... the 2015 draft is packed with 10 year allstars and superstars.  Let's not botch this up with the dreams of an elitist who did not understand what he was doing.

Edited by Diesel