• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Dominique Wilkins does not deserve a statue!

Wurider05

Dominique symbolizes the mediocracy of this franchise. Wilkins never won a championship, He never even made it to the conference finals and he gets a statue. I am a nique fan but come on fellas he doesn't deserve a damn statue.  It seems like the highlight of his career and the Hawks franchise was the shootout with the Celtics that we LOST!!!! Hell we might as well get Jon Koncak and Tree Rollins a statue as well. I am for one embarrassed for this franchise with this decision. Never even went to a finals. I know I can't be the only one that feels this way. I can't be the only one. He never played for any type of championship in this city.

Unless they luck into a top 5 player and gets other stars to team up on the Hawks, a championship or another elite player might not be coming to the Hawks, so giving him a statue works for a franchise like this one. What I'm saying is, it won't downgrade other potential statues because, well, what potential statues?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Nique is the second best player in Hawks history and hands down the greatest Atlanta Hawk in franchise history. He absolutely deserves a statue. Look at the teams he had to play against in the East and how many Hall of Famers were on those teams. Then look at our Hawks teams he was on. It is a joke to try and blame him for not going further in the playoffs.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Just for some informational background, does anyone know the current group of sports statues in the Atlanta area?

I think the Braves have some. Hank Aaron, Phil Niekro and Ty Cobb?

Do the Falcons have any?

Currently, no Hawks players.

And what about players across the NBA with statues? NESN provided a list that includes Bill Russell, Kareem, Magic, Starbury (calm down, it's in China), Malone, Oscar Robertson (at his college), Mikan (in Minneapolis), West, Stockton, Dr. J, and Shaq (at LSU).

Some website All About Basketball tells us that the list is MJ, Pippen, Kareem, West, Dr. J, Mikan, Olajuwon, Stockton, and Malone have statues.

Larry Bird has one at Indiana State.

Am I missing any for the NBA or Atlanta? It's a good idea to at least compile the list before saying "OH YEAH HE DESERVES IT!"

So is there something about that list that makes you say he doesn't deserve it?   I'm not getting that.

He's in the Hall of Fame.   That alone says he deserves the recognition.   I'm pretty sure that before Maddux, Glavine that every brave in the hall of fame has a statue outside of turner field.   Certainly every Atlanta Brave in the hall has a statue.

So I'm guessing you guys are still fuming about the Phil Neikro statue.  Sure he won 300 games but the team finished last place and probably made the playoffs once in his Braves career.

• Like 1

• Moderators

To me all this is is a way to market the team and generate excitement.   I think he absolutely deserves it but it's not like there is some criteria that has to be met to put up a statue.   If people like it then why not.   And why were on the subject, there should be a statue of Hank Aaron and Ted Turner in centennial park.

• Like 1

Dominique symbolizes the mediocracy of this franchise. Wilkins never won a championship, He never even made it to the conference finals and he gets a statue. I am a nique fan but come on fellas he doesn't deserve a damn statue.  It seems like the highlight of his career and the Hawks franchise was the shootout with the Celtics that we LOST!!!! Hell we might as well get Jon Koncak and Tree Rollins a statue as well. I am for one embarrassed for this franchise with this decision. Never even went to a finals. I know I can't be the only one that feels this way. I can't be the only one. He never played for any type of championship in this city.

jpyTI.gif

You guys are taking this from a Hawks only point of view.  Nique is a son of Atlanta.  Georgia, Hawks Iconic status in the city.  If we had a mount rushmore for sports heroes in this town it would be Aaron, Nobis(maybe Tuggle), Nique, and Herschel.  

• Like 3

jpyTI.gif

You guys are taking this from a Hawks only point of view.  Nique is a son of Atlanta.  Georgia, Hawks Iconic status in the city.  If we had a mount rushmore for sports heroes in this town it would be Aaron, Nobis(maybe Tuggle), Nique, and Herschel.

Excellent point.

Add to the fact that even after he retired, he didn't leave the area or the franchise, it just cements his.legacy in the city even more ... even if he wasn't a champion out on the court.

I guess this guy would be against the Detroit Lions erecting a statue for Barry Sanders then.

• Like 1