• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Phil Jackson comments on Danny Ferry commenting on Melo.

Q: Hawks GM Danny Ferry recently made comments about Carmelo in which he reportedly said: “He can shoot the [bleep] out of it, but he screws you up in other ways. So is he really worth $20 million? I would argue if he plays the right way, absolutely.”
A: I think there’s probably 15 players in the NBA that are very similar position. I don’t know if all of ’em are paid $20 million, but the coaches and GMs are talking about it in those type of terms — how much does this guy hurt your team, or hurt the game flow because he’s trying to score. The attempt to score, the need to score, the pressure that he feels he has to score. … Does he take away from the team game? That’s what Danny’s talking about there. And that’s where Carmelo’s gonna move forward this year in that situation — the ball can’t stop. The ball has to continually move. It moves, or goes to the hoop on a shot or a drive or something like that. In our offense, that’s part of the process of getting players to play in that rhythm.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/24/steve-serbys-qa-with-phil-jackson/

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I always thought it foolish to think you can win with Melo. He has exceptional one-on-one basketball skills of course, but I never thought of him as a real basketball player. If he were, he'd be capable of playing point-forward and defending.

Sure, he'll ultimately generate more money than his contract for all entities involved, so his value is exponentially greater than a Joe Johnson in an economic sense. But there is a salary cap, and I could easily get 3 players at his price that would lead to10 or more extra wins.

I always thought it foolish to think you can win with Melo. He has exceptional one-on-one basketball skills of course, but I never thought of him as a real basketball player. If he were, he'd be capable of playing point-forward and defending.

Sure, he'll ultimately generate more money than his contract for all entities involved, so his value is exponentially greater than a Joe Johnson in an economic sense. But there is a salary cap, and I could easily get 3 players at his price that would lead to10 or more extra wins.

No you couldn't. Because those 3 extra players would have to be playing alongside an All-Star talent.

Millsap, Teague and Korver are the 3 player equivalent of Melo's salary. And they were easily a sub .500 team as the best 3 players on the Hawks ( without Horford ).

Melo was just butt hurt that somebody did something negative about him (even though it was right after saying something good about him). But he really can "shoot the shit out of the ball" - in fact he's probably the best iso ball player i can think of currently in the league.

I'm glad Phil stepped up and said this (even though most everybody except Melo was thinking it anyway). This comment on top of the recent comments of Magic, Duncan, Silver, Kareem, etc really seem to be setting the stage for a Ferry return, and that's what i hope to see. After some reflection, i think there will be little impact in the way off FA signings because of what Ferry said and I'm glad he's got a plan that i can get behind. (The plan roughly being don't tank, stay competitive, stay flexible, stay open to big name stars but don't count on them coming here, so sign thrifty and efficient guys who fit a winning culture who work hard and have a chip on their shoulder. My take at least.)

• Moderators

Seems lost on everyone that Ferry also said he would absolutely like to have Melo on the team.   The Deng comments were over the line for sure but here's the bottom line on Melo:

“So is he really worth the 20 million dollars? … I would argue if he plays the right way, absolutely.”

Boy I'd sure be offended if someone suggested I was worth $20 million.

No you couldn't. Because those 3 extra players would have to be playing alongside an All-Star talent.

Millsap, Teague and Korver are the 3 player equivalent of Melo's salary. And they were easily a sub .500 team as the best 3 players on the Hawks ( without Horford ).

What did Dirk make when he won Finals MVP, in a tougher conference, surrounded by the same two role players in Kidd and Chandler that immediately went to try and help Melo and he didn't even get close to the Conference Finals? Granted, I'm a Marion and Carlisle fan, but I think it's a little more to it than that. Melo cannot play a consistent team game and he takes up way too much of the salary cap. When they fail to make it out of the First Round, if that, you'll understand, or maybe just blame everybody else. I know I tempered your fandom of Joe over the years with all the meat I brought to condemn his game, you'll come around on Melo too. I don't understand what he has done to garner all this respect besides take 25 shots to make 30 a night for his whole career. Edited by benhillboy