• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Stephen A. Smith : "Dominique Wilkins wasn't included in the decision making process as much as before Ferry arrived"

GameTime

SAS:

"Danny Ferry's relationship with Dominique Wilkins wasn't always the greatest"

"Danny Ferry came in with a mandate from Levenson to change the culture"

"Ferry should of valued Dominique Wilkins more; If Nique is gonna be in an elevated position, he doesn't need to be working with Danny Ferry, because Danny Ferry didn't take full advantage of him when he had a chance"

49:00 minutes in.

I know in in the minority, but I can't imagine Nique bringing anything to the table besides his name. I totally agree with Ferry if this is true: I've never heard any in-depth basketball talk remotely poingiant, thoughtful, or original from Nique in all his years of commentating Hawks games. Love him to death, but nothing.

You can listen to almost any other broadcast and their NBA alum brings stats, trends, quotes, film study, candid opinions, etc. Alll Nique does is point out the absurdly obvious for 3 hours.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

If there is even an ounce of truth to this, the exiled GM may as well resign right now. And this would further validate my belief that Nique didn't mind one bit what Gearon did. And he may also still be tight with Gearon, which is what I suspected all along.

How about this. Instead of acting like a national reporter with sources all over the country, is just making this all up ... what does this mean if he's exactly right?

Seeing how the exiled GM only was required to report to Levenson, and how Gearon felt that his input was dimished, is it out of the realm of possibility that Nique's input was diminished as well?

They were discussing giving the GM job to Nique on the radio? Does Nique want to be a GM? I've never heard him say it? I've heard Barkley say it, I've heard Kenny Smith say it.

Wether he can or not is not my issue. What if he picks the wrong player in the draft or signs the wrong free agents? You know what happens if he fails - they'll have to fire him. Do we want to be in a position to kick Nique to the curb again? I don't think Nique should be in such a fireable position within the organization.

I know in in the minority, but I can't imagine Nique bringing anything to the table besides his name. I totally agree with Ferry if this is true: I've never heard any in-depth basketball talk remotely poingiant, thoughtful, or original from Nique in all his years of commentating Hawks games. Love him to death, but nothing.

You can listen to almost any other broadcast and their NBA alum brings stats, trends, quotes, film study, candid opinions, etc. Alll Nique does is point out the absurdly obvious for 3 hours.

I think there is a degree of truth in this, but what he brings is a critical element in the league.  It's like how they advertise games and they give the team and then the marque name on the team.  He needs to be an important part of what happens moving forward. 

If there is even an ounce of truth to this, the exiled GM may as well resign right now. And this would further validate my belief that Nique didn't mind one bit what Gearon did. And he may also still be tight with Gearon, which is what I suspected all along.

How about this. Instead of acting like a national reporter with sources all over the country, is just making this all up ... what does this mean if he's exactly right?

Seeing how the exiled GM only was required to report to Levenson, and how Gearon felt that his input was dimished, is it out of the realm of possibility that Nique's input was diminished as well?

How about instead of being constantly negative and believing any negative comments regarding people on the Hawks you don't like to be true, you could try and see positive and negative things, based on a case by case basis.

• Moderators

Levenson was the recognized controlling owner.   Ferry shouldn't have to report to and get input from Gearon or any of the other owners.   No one would take the job if they have to report to 8 guys and get input from Rutherford Turner Slydell Dewberry with his 1.5% stake who just really likes to have input.

They were discussing giving the GM job to Nique on the radio? Does Nique want to be a GM? I've never heard him say it? I've heard Barkley say it, I've heard Kenny Smith say it.

Wether he can or not is not my issue. What if he picks the wrong player in the draft or signs the wrong free agents? You know what happens if he fails - they'll have to fire him. Do we want to be in a position to kick Nique to the curb again? I don't think Nique should be in such a fireable position within the organization.

Yeah, I've always thought he couldn't be our coach or GM for that reason.  I don't mind making him some kind of figurehead exec.  He has respect in the league still and could help us improve our image.  I mean we're not asking him to do any analytics or whatever.  Just sit at the table and talk up the city, organization, new GM(cool.png ), etc.

• Moderators

Yeah, I've always thought he couldn't be our coach or GM for that reason.  I don't mind making him some kind of figurehead exec.  He has respect in the league still and could help us improve our image.  I mean we're not asking him to do any analytics or whatever.  Just sit at the table and talk up the city, organization, new GM(cool.png ), etc.

Right but that's already what he is and has been for years.   Vice President of Basketball.  Maybe he just organizes the pickup games or something.  I don't know.  It's a weird title.

dominique_wilkins_bioheader_1314_updated

The most celebrated player to ever put on a Hawks uniform, Hall-of-Famer Dominique Wilkins enters his ninth season as the Hawks' Vice President of Basketball. Previously the team's Special Assistant to the Executive Vice President and Player Development Assistant, Wilkins works in various management functions within the organization's basketball and business areas, and as the team’s analyst for the Hawks broadcast networks.

Wilkins is responsible for advising the senior management team on basketball-related issues and working as a strong voice in the community

Right but that's already what he is and has been for years.   Vice President of Basketball.  Maybe he just organizes the pickup games or something.  I don't know.  It's a weird title.

I hear you.  However, I think what's being said is, despite his title, he doesn't really do anything of substance thus his potential influence isn't being used properly by Hawks mgt.  There appears to be some division as to whether or not he was purposely kept away by our old GM.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case considering Nique isn't exactly the most articulate guy.  He probably didn't impress Ferry enough to break into the inner circle.

Then again, it could be known internally that Nique is a Gearon guy and that was the reason he was kept out.  Ayiyi my head's spinning.

Even before Ferry, Dominique was still in the background. He wasn't less visible after Ferry.

He just hasn't been used in any significant/public capacity to push the Hawks for the past 9 years.

How about instead of being constantly negative and believing any negative comments regarding people on the Hawks you don't like to be true, you could try and see positive and negative things, based on a case by case basis.

For the record, I never thought that he was a racist. And when I did finally heard the tape, it sounded like he was somewhat paraphrasing. Both seem to be true.

But I've also said all along that he has some of you fooled as to how good of an executive he is. And things are coming out ( that's really been out already ) about how he operates and how he can be difficult to work with.

Hard to be positive about the dude when he's had 30 mill and 15 mill in cap space in consecutive years, and the lineup still hasn't addressed major issues on this team.

If we show the progression of the "WLOC" Hawks that people supposedly despise now, you'll see more positivity out of me.

Just promise me that if they don't progress, you won't hesitate to rip right into the exiled GM, like we all do with ownership.

At this point, I'm just rooting for Bud to coach up these guys, and have the authority to make a trade to help himself.