• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Those who want Danny Ferry gone.

Gray Mule

Why are the stones being thrown at Levenson then? He is being forced to sell his part of the team (via Koonin calling him and telling him to step down)

I feel he got a worse deal than Ferry, but no one is campaigning for him to stay.

Edited by GameTime
  • Like 1

Why are the stones being thrown at Levenson then? He is being forced to sell his part of the team (via Koonin calling him and telling him to step down)

I feel he got a worse deal than Ferry, but no one is campaigning for him to stay.

Maybe because Ferry wants to stay, while Levenson might be quite happy to run from Gearon?

• Moderators

Maybe because Ferry wants to stay, while Levenson might be quite happy to run from Gearon?

I'm not convinced Ferry wants to stay either.   I think now he's trying to save his reputation.   It sounds like Ferry wasn't allowed to address the media right away and his communications were controlled by his bosses.   That's hurt him.  I'm still wondering how the owner search is going.   No news is bad news in my opinion.   

I'm not convinced Ferry wants to stay either. I think now he's trying to save his reputation. It sounds like Ferry wasn't allowed to address the media right away and his communications were controlled by his bosses. That's hurt him. I'm still wondering how the owner search is going. No news is bad news in my opinion.

Don't you think he would have left with Levenson since he specifically stated he came because of Levenson?

Atl Mayor meets with Adam Silver tomorrow, so hopefully there is some movement or something to report.

I really don't want politicians involved in this though.

• Premium Member

I think Levenson's comments are pretty bad.  Not racist, hateful, or otherwise bigoted...but extremely out of touch with society and with what drives sports sales (it ain't $2 off a hot dog).  Bruce seems like a genuinely nice guy, but clueless and he should absolutely step down.

Why am I talking about Bruce?

Because people don't want to touch the nasty little subject of Danny Ferry being the recipient of his Email.  They don't want to associate Ferry with Levenson, even though dude pretty much hand picked him and shielded him from the other owners.  They want to believe that Levenson's ideas for attracting the "white crowd" stopped at white cheerleaders, white friendly music, and less blackness on the kiss cam...and that his sentiments were his own.  People want to believe that there was no correlation between Levenson's vision and the product that Ferry was building on the court (y'know, the main dang thing that the "preferred" white fans would be paying to see).  Me, I'm just gonna call it like it is.  Ferry is Levenson's guy and he should leave with him.

More importantly, I don't believe in his "flexible" vision.  I think that if he is allowed to continue this course, that it will be the dumbest and most pointless thing we have done to date.

(BTW...his "scouting report" comments are trivial.  Terrible to be sure, but trivial and not worth firing him over.)

• Like 1

Levinson will walk away with how many millions and I think it's by his choice.  He's tired of the bullshit and he's seen how ruthless Gearon can be.   He'll laugh all the way to the bank. 

If it was his choice Koonin wouldn't have had to call Levenson to tell him to step down (coming from Koonin himself), would he?

Keep believing in this myth.

• Moderators

Honestly Mule,

Your message should be sent to Free Agents.  You should tell them that our GM made a mistake and inserted his foot in his mouth and that they should give him a second chance.  You should tell them that they should come to a franchise that no free agent really wants to come to unless they are being overpaid and work for an ownership group filled with nuts and a GM who may racially profile them from time to time... or who may just read  and repeat other's racial profilings.

The fans of the Hawks are not down on Ferry as a person.  Nor do the lot of us feel that he's a racist or a bigot.  But if you're honest, you have to admit that he just made the job of GMing the Atlanta Hawks very difficult.

I thought that at first but now I don't.   By next summer I doubt most players even remember or are concerned with this issue with Ferry.   Sterling was almost universally recognized to be a racist ass and even then there were people who thought he shouldn't be forced to sell the team.  

Slowly we are seeing that the majority of people in and out of the nba think that Ferry is a good guy and screwed up.  They will forget and go back to their own daily life concerns.   Just look at the squawk.  There are very few folks who think Ferry should go who didn't already think that.

Now the f'd up ownership is a real problem.  It is THE real problem and until that is straightened out then being the GM here will be difficult.   

• Like 2

Honestly Mule,

Your message should be sent to Free Agents.  You should tell them that our GM made a mistake and inserted his foot in his mouth and that they should give him a second chance.  You should tell them that they should come to a franchise that no free agent really wants to come to unless they are being overpaid and work for an ownership group filled with nuts and a GM who may racially profile them from time to time... or who may just read  and repeat other's racial profilings.

The fans of the Hawks are not down on Ferry as a person.  Nor do the lot of us feel that he's a racist or a bigot.  But if you're honest, you have to admit that he just made the job of GMing the Atlanta Hawks very difficult.

and yet deals are still being made in Cleveland even though they were the origin of the scouting report.  The media and Gearon is the driving force behind the Ferry drama - if they had any journalistic credibility they would be writing pieces on why the scout hasnt been exposed and why Cleveland isnt doing a top to bottom  investigation to ensure that nothing racist is going on in house .  Utter bs we are still getting the finger pointed at the Hawks organization.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Though I hate the circumstances of how this thing was played out, Ferry is pretty much done. No matter how many people speak up for his character, he'll be viewed as toxic and a new owner isn't likely to take the chance considering the monetary investment. CViv stated in a recent article that ownership WAS STILL at odds. I'm thinking Levenson and Koonin probably want the new owner to be a guy who will keep Ferry while the Gearon bunch obviously want him gone. Which further underscores the fact that they whole ASG needs to go.

• Like 2

Dang!  You who are perfect sure make it hard on the rest of us mere mortals.

So, Danny Ferry opened mouth, inserted foot.  That was bad.  Uncalled for.

For this, some would have him destroyed.  Exiled from the NBA, never to be

seen or heard from again.

Remember the story in the bible.  A woman was brought to Jesus who they

had caught "In the very act" of adultery.  Note:  strangely enough there was

no man brought also.  "She should be stoned,"  they said.  After writing on

the ground, Jesus said, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

One by one, they all left.  Good thing that some of the Danny Ferry critics

weren't there.  Why?  Because the rocks would be flying.

Did Danny Ferry make a mistake?  He sure did.  He's said, "I'm sorry" more

than once.  One of the owners wants him gone so bad he's beside himself,

trying anything and everything to get rid of him.  Personally, I believe that

the Hawks are jumping the wrong person.  Dump that owner and put Danny

back where he belongs.

Forget the comment he made about Deng.   He was a mediocre GM to begin with.   And the one trump card that he's had ( cap space ) has meant nothing the past 2 offseasons, partially because he refuses to target players that can actually help us . . and even overbid for their services, if need be.

So here we are . . with Thabo Sefolosha as our prized free agent signing of the summer . . and still have close to 4 million in cap space to spare.   Fans will celebrate that, because we're not over the salary cap.  But if you can't get 1st and 2nd tier free agents, being under the cap doesn't mean a thing.

• Like 2

and yet deals are still being made in Cleveland even though they were the origin of the scouting report.  The media and Gearon is the driving force behind the Ferry drama - if they had any journalistic credibility they would be writing pieces on why the scout hasnt been exposed and why Cleveland isnt doing a top to bottom  investigation to ensure that nothing racist is going on in house .  Utter bs we are still getting the finger pointed at the Hawks organization.

Ferry has become the face of it. Apparently the people that were the origin of the report weren't as dumb/careless as Ferry.

Plus, Cleveland already has their star locked up; people will come play with him. We are still at the bottom floor trying to convince a star to come here; or pretending to the public that we are trying to get a star to come here. Maybe, behind closed doors, those stars had too much African in them for Ferry . . .

• Premium Member

Forget the comment he made about Deng. He was a mediocre GM to begin with. And the one trump card that he's had ( cap space ) has meant nothing the past 2 offseasons, partially because he refuses to target players that can actually help us . . and even overbid for their services, if need be.

So here we are . . with Thabo Sefolosha as our prized free agent signing of the summer . . and still have close to 4 million in cap space to spare. Fans will celebrate that, because we're not over the salary cap. But if you can't get 1st and 2nd tier free agents, being under the cap doesn't mean a thing.

I'm no Ferry fan, but he isn't more mediocre than the previous GM/Owner who made sure we never had the opportunity to add players that could help by over-paying guys who weren't worth it and doubling down on it by trading draft picks and young players for more mediocrity (see Kirk Hinrich trade). And since Ferry traded away his valuable work, he'd rather try to destroy the man and the Atlanta Hawks just to get his way. Give me Ferry's work over that foolishness anyday.

And where is the proof that Ferry refused to go after guys who could help them team? He went after Dwight and Paul despite the fact that neither one was going to come here. We also heard the likely accurate rumors that he tried to get Love. He was able to do that BECAUSE he didn't saddle the team with unsavory and undesirable deals. So what player did he not go after that actually could have put the Hawks above the mediocrity that we were in? Please don't say Al Jefferson as he's exactly like the players Ferry traded away-good, but not great and wanting way more money than they're worth. Ferry was trying to put the team in position to hit a home run. I have my issues and disagreement with parts of his strategy, but I do think he wanted better than our normal ground out double moves which is exactly what over paying for more "good, but not great" players would have been.

• Like 1

Ferry has become the face of it. Apparently the people that were the origin of the report weren't as dumb/careless as Ferry.

Plus, Cleveland already has their star locked up; people will come play with him. We are still at the bottom floor trying to convince a star to come here; or pretending to the public that we are trying to get a star to come here. Maybe, behind closed doors, those stars had too much African in them for Ferry . . .

no its called a double standard - its ok to hold Ferry and the Hawks accountable for someone elses words - Racism is only racism if there is enough minority outcry. In Clevelands case  the NBA and any other African American that is labeling Ferry and the Hawks racist can pick and chose who they wish to destroy.

• Like 1