• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Still time for Teague to turn his whole career around and breakout....

JTB

I know we are all tired of hearing this so called breakout season for Jeff Teague.....trust me I'm right there with you! Every off season I wonder and hope that the next upcoming season Teague will have a breakout year and be a sure top 10 pg making consistent all star games as a reserve but as we know it hasn't happened yet.

But young Jeffery is still young and he still has time to breakout and be a force for our franchise. I'm not going to lie Teague had me fooled with his first 10 or 12 games of the season last year! Dude came out smokin like he owned every court he played on! But it's things like that, that pisses you off about Teague.

Teague has probably been the most frustrating hawk in my lifetime not because he's a ignorant player like josh smith but because watching Teague to this point in his career I know the dude can ball with top level point guards and I know he has the skill set to be all star caliber player.....Teagues impact is something serious like we saw in the first 10 games of the season to last 10 games of the season to the playoffs against the leads best defense.....we just need this damn kid to put it all together!

Just to shed some more light on Teagues possible breakout....Chauncey billups didn't break out until his 5th year in the league and I'm not comparing these two by any means just saying that if we can get Teague to breakout this season the point guard position will be locked down for about 7-8 years!

So here's to Teague in hope that he has a breakout year and put the whole nba on notice!....my favorite Teague saying is "aggressive Teague is top 10 pg in the nba hands down"....get it done Jeffery!

The whole argument is redundant and borderline silly. Ask Paul George if he respects Teague. Ask Paul George and see if he stands around talking about what Teague can't and doesn't do as opposed to how he can really hurt you and did hurt them.

• Like 3

• Moderators

The whole argument is redundant and borderline silly. Ask Paul George if he respects Teague. Ask Paul George and see if he stands around talking about what Teague can't and doesn't do as opposed to how he can really hurt you and did hurt them.

Teague is capable of making it silly but he hasn't put together a season that resembles the intensity of that Pacers series yet.  He was below average last season about 2/3 of the way through the season.  He finished strong and then carried that into the playoffs.  He needs to hurt teams all season like he hurt the Pacers.  He is the guy who can make the biggest leap among the core players on this team but he hasn't done it yet.

Fact is Teague averaged 16.5 pts for the season.

He only had one month when he averaged less than 16 pts and that was February.

Fact is he averaged 6.7 assists for the season

He had two months in the 8 assists per range. Three months in the 6 assist range and one month in the 5 assist range. That is where his major variations are but we know that the first two months were mostly with Horford.

I continue to be dumbfounded because I don't see the consistent inconsistency that you guys preach about.

We can get away from what some will refer to as raw stats and start looking at FG% by month, etc., but if we do that with Teague we need to do it with Sap and the rest of the team. Sap's efficiency fell off without Horford also.

• Like 3

Teague is capable of making it silly but he hasn't put together a season that resembles the intensity of that Pacers series yet.  He was below average last season about 2/3 of the way through the season.  He finished strong and then carried that into the playoffs.  He needs to hurt teams all season like he hurt the Pacers.  He is the guy who can make the biggest leap among the core players on this team but he hasn't done it yet.

Teague and Millsap were the only players on the team that consistently outplayed their man. He wasn't anymore up and down than anyone else on the team.

People may want to look at the list of PGs ahead of him, then look where they were picked in the draft. You'll see a few mid 1st round picks, but the majority of the PGs ahead of Teague are high lottery picks.

My only concern with Teague is his PnR defense. He gives up too easily when he gets picked and doesn't give enough effort to fight through or around those screens.

I see he's got bigger guns in that .new uni pic - let's hope he uses them to get better defensively.

Oh and let's hope he's worked on a mid range shot coming off a screen.

• Moderators

Teague and Millsap were the only players on the team that consistently outplayed their man. He wasn't anymore up and down than anyone else on the team.

People may want to look at the list of PGs ahead of him, then look where they were picked in the draft. You'll see a few mid 1st round picks, but the majority of the PGs ahead of Teague are high lottery picks.

How many other players has TNCR started a thread about that says:

Jeff Teague Hate Thread Activate

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/391636-jeff-teague-hate-thread-activate/

Look at the quotes from different posters and try to ask youself how anyone can be confused about his inconsistency?

Let's see...

20 minutes played:

0 points

0-5 from the field

0-2 from three point

0-0 no free throws drawn or attempted

There won't be anyone to defend him until his next decent game where the same two or three guys who disappear during his four out of five games show up to crow about his one game out of five.

No hate.

Just dont understand this guy.

*  his  inconsistencies are starting to pile up way too much.

While agree, average point guards are still going to get me at least a bucket.

Its sonething wrong with Jeff mentally far as basketball is concerned, no way a player with his abilities should EVER have a night like tonight.

*  There is no need to make another hate thread. His disappearing acts have been already addressed. This kind of game is nothing new to us.

*  This is uncharacteristically bad for Jeff but the disappearing act isn't.  No need to get overly excited.  Teague is an average PG who will look great some night, terrible some nights, and OK a lot of nights.

*  Teague is what he is.  A decent PG on a bad team who doesn't show up most nights and can't be counted on to win games on any kind of consistent basis.  Once fans accept this then these games will stop surprising you.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators
* Jeff Teague is who we thought he was..........and Danny let him off the hook!  He she wallowing in muck mire that is the Bucks.

*This one game isn't a huge deal to me.  The big picture is how often these type of games occur for Teague.  It doesn't always show up in the stat sheet but the fact is the guy just isn't aggressive some nights.  If he had an 0 for 12 night but was slashing right, playing D, and looking motivated I'd be ok with it because the shots aren't always going to fall.  What irks me more is the nights Teague doesn't do well and he doesn't seem to care or be fazed by it at all.  There are just a lot of ups and downs with this guys motivation and mindset and I can't seem to make any sense of it.  I honestly never know what Teague to expect on a nightly basis.

*  IMO Teague and Bud are at odds with each other.  They aren't on the "same page"

*  I think Teague is schizophrenic or has multiple personalities cux you never know which one will show up.

These are either entirely or almost entirely quotes from all different posters.  If you don't understand the consistency issue, you haven't been watching closely.  

• Moderators

That thread that NorthCyde started was from the end of March, BTW.  That means that 80% of the season was already done and people were throwing their hands in the air over Jeff's season.  But he has a great close in that final 20% of the season and steps it up in the playoffs and that is supposed to rewrite the entire season like he was that good all year?  Please.

Jeff has the potential but he has to actually do it.  A good starting point would be outplaying Ty Lawson over a season for the first time in his career.  I'm not asking for Seth Curry or Chris Paul.

• Like 1

That thread that NorthCyde started was from the end of March, BTW.  That means that 80% of the season was already done and people were throwing their hands in the air over Jeff's season.  But he has a great close in that final 20% of the season and steps it up in the playoffs and that is supposed to rewrite the entire season like he was that good all year?  Please.

Jeff has the potential but he has to actually do it.  A good starting point would be outplaying Ty Lawson over a season for the first time in his career.  I'm not asking for Seth Curry or Chris Paul.

And when I started that thread, there were at least 2 Teague hate threads started in that week.  I knew the hate was coming, because people want Teague to be the next Tony Parker, so I went ahead and started the thread.   The next game, he played pretty good, while his teammates sucked . . . and you didn't see a thing about Teague's good game, or his teammates' inconsistencies.

Teague isn't any more inconsistent than anyone else on the team.  He's simply become the lightning rod for anything that goes wrong for the Hawks, since people can't blame JJ, Marvin, and Josh Smith.   

• Like 2

• Moderators

And when I started that thread, there were at least 2 Teague hate threads started in that week.  I knew the hate was coming, because people want Teague to be the next Tony Parker, so I went ahead and started the thread.   The next game, he played pretty good, while his teammates sucked . . . and you didn't see a thing about Teague's good game, or his teammates' inconsistencies.

Teague isn't any more inconsistent than anyone else on the team.  He's simply become the lightning rod for anything that goes wrong for the Hawks, since people can't blame JJ, Marvin, and Josh Smith.   

You can't tell me who i can and can't blame.   I'm still blaming Woody.   no.gif

• Like 1

You probably don't see inconsistencies because you are looking at averages and an argument about how inconsistent Teague is deals with the variance. So you don't see it because you're looking at the wrong thing. (but I haven't crunch the numbers so I'm not sure I can say whether or not Teague is consistent, just that you are looking at the wrong thing)

I'd link to a post on this topic from nyloncalculus, but they did such a horrific job that it would be a waste.

Here's his game log from last year.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/teaguje01/gamelog/2014/

And here's my point.   While people were blaming Teague during that time for going scoreless in that March 26th game, Paul Millsap goes 4 - 13 FG in that same game . . . and followed that up with a 3 - 15 FG and a 5 - 15 FG game.   Meanwhile, Teague in his next 2 games was was 10 - 18 FG and 8 - 17 FG.

So why was Teague the target for being inconsistent, when the entire dang team was inconsistent last year?   We all know that Teague isn't a #1 caliber scorer, so why expect him to make the "leap" to be that?   Millsap isn't even capable of being a #1 scorer ( although he can do it on occasion ), but people are mad at Teague because he's not playing up to the level of high lottery pick PGs?

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

It is not just scoring.....hell go scoreless, but affect the game in some manner.   Teague far too often is just not impacting games or whole portions of games.   Teague needs to lead on offense.   We shouldn't go whole quarters without him drawing and kicking or getting a foul, or pushing after a made basket.  It just shouldn't happen at this stage.  Not when he has shown he can affect a series in the playoffs time and time again.

LOL!  I though we all agreed that the hate would stop if Jeff Teague had a good playoff series and most agree that he did...So what happened

I can't explain it.  For instance, I could make a post about how Teague is significantly better than Kemba Walker but Walker is rated 4 points higher than him in the new 2K game and someone would come in talking about how its because Kemba has better offensive awareness or its because Teague is inconsistent. Every thread about Teague turns into him being inconsistent and not aggressive enough. Those are the answers to everything Teague and its just not true.

Per argument

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6479/kemba-walker

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4015/jeff-teague

Win share argument

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2014_advanced.html

Teague is rated higher in both per and win share/win share per 48 and there raw numbers are not very different.

They will still find a reason to blame this on Teague and lack of aggressive or not being consistent or claim Kemba has better offensive awareness when its actually worse because of his sub .400 FG% which indicates he either does not know what a good shot is or just can't shoot and continues to let them fly.

Edited by MrMeltdown
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I'm not sure who declared that all the Teague inconsistency issues would go away if he played 7 good games against George Hill but I've been very consistent about expecting Teague to bring it for a season, not for a few games.

On Kemba Walker - I agree Teague is better.  Walker is a clearly below average PG in the league right now (i.e., there are 15 PGs you have to put ahead of him if you are ranking them).  Walker is even more of a shoot-first combo guard than Teague as well.  I would definitely not trade Teague for him.

On the hate, it only sounds like hate because people are blowing smoke up his rear.  He is as consistent as Paul Millsap?  Really?

There are three main areas of inconsistency for Teague:

(1)  Aggression (not subject to looking at the numbers);

(2)  Defense (not well quantified statistically); and

(3)  Scoring efficiency (easily quantifiable).

Let's take a look at the scoring efficiency since this is the most easily review.  

Here is consistency from year to year:

Jeff Teague

2011-12 EFG%  .514%

2012-13 EFG%  .496%

2013-14 EFG%  .474%

Paul Millsap

2011-12 EFG%  .499%

2012-13 EFG%  .498%

2013-14 EFG%  .498%

Any rationale human being can see that one of these is consistent like a metronome (Sap) and the other is not close to the same level of consistency.

The good news for him?  He has significantly improved his FT% over that time and last year took a big increase in FTA/M.  That has kept his TS% closer year over year than his shooting from the floor.

So let's look at last year.

I'm going to use TS% because it is listed on basketballreference's split page and I will exclude October since there is only a 1 game sample size:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/teaguje01/splits/2014/

Teague:  

.502%

.542%

.468%

.541% 

.562%

.662%

That is an average variance of .043% per month and a variance of .198% between his high and low months.

Sap had an average variance of .026% per month and a variance of .078% between his high and low months.

Again, Sap demonstrated much greater consistency both month to month - much like he does year to year.