• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

New Rule changes for freethrows being discussed

Around last season’s All-Star break, preliminary chatter began among the league’s basketball operations folks and rule geeks about the prospect of reducing all trips to the free-throw line to a single foul shot. D-League president Dan Reed and Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey were the closest thing to co-sponsors of a bill. Nobody was proposing anything to be fast-tracked, but an imperative to figure out ways to shorten pro basketball games gave the idea some life as something to consider implementing in the D-League. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.xqG031ug.dpuf

The concept was this: A player fouled in the act of shooting or in a penalty situation would attempt only a single free throw. If that player was shooting a 2-point shot or in a penalty situation at the time of the foul, the free throw attempt would be worth two points. If that player was fouled in the act of launching a 3-point shot, he’d go to the line for a single shot worth three points. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.xqG031ug.dpuf

Hmmmm...Morey is in favor of it huh...wonder why. Learn how to shoot free throws Dwight. Maybe instead of hooking up with your 9th baby mama, spend some time at the foul line. Ps F you Morey.

Yeah they're going after the wrong problem.  You want to know why it isn't a problem for college?  Because players there don't complain or get start treatment.

The only thing I could think of is to get more stringent on complainers and not whistle every ticky tack foul.

• Moderators

If one wants to shorten the game, make sure the timeouts actually last 20 seconds (not 1 minute) and 2 minutes (not 3 minutes).

And consider allowing less timeout calls per game.

I agree totally except they don't really want to shorten the game.   They want to eliminate time where there is no action on the court but they can't cut to commercial.   

• Like 1

• Moderators

Now all we need are some statistics on 1st free throw missed or made by each player, to see how that would affect scoring.  

Agreed.  My gut says the % is higher on the second attempts but I have nothing to back that up.  All I see is opinions and anecdotes in a quick internet search.

Four point line?  Why not use the line @ center court?

I've often thought, when I happen to see one of those go in,

that should be worth more.  Simply change the rule. 

Everything else is in place.

buba.gif

• Premium Member

Just get rid of the damn low fives from all 4 players after every free throw.   That's the dumbest thing ever.   

The Bucks already attempted that. Andrew Bogut didn't seem to care though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc11PUnFgkQ

• Moderators

If they want to shorten the time on free throws, then bring back the 1+1 rule that they still use in church league and high school. While in the penalty, if you make the first free throw, then you are awarded a second, but if you miss the first free throw, then it's a live ball and play resumes. This is also enforceable on fouls that result from intentional fouls.

With fouls that are in the act of shooting, normal rules apply, but maybe put in a 6 second shot clock on free throws. Also, in the last two minutes of a game, teams are only allowed three 20 second timeouts and get rid of referee and TV timeouts. Soccer and motorsports doesn't stop for anybody, why should the NBA? Another idea I have is maybe on intentional fouls, enforce a 3-second runoff in the final minute of a game like the NFL does.

Many ways to speed up a game without using gimmicks that hurt the integrity of the game.

• Moderators

If they want to shorten the time on free throws, then bring back the 1+1 rule that they still use in church league and high school. While in the penalty, if you make the first free throw, then you are awarded a second, but if you miss the first free throw, then it's a live ball and play resumes. This is also enforceable on fouls that result from intentional fouls.

I think this would lead to more fouls.  You would significantly increase the use of the hackashaq technique.