• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Payne impresses in camp. Explosive and very very good addition to team

Admin

Hope this wasn't already posted...

ATHENS – Al Horford got a smile on his face when asked about rookie Adreian Payne at Monday’s media day. A big smile.

“Explosive, man,” Horford said. “Honestly. I never saw him play much in college and I didn’t realize that he was that explosive. He is a special athlete, I’m telling you, just blocking shots and some of the dunks he does. And he can shoot. He can really shoot the 3-ball. I was really impressed with him. … He is a very, very nice addition to our team.”

Payne, the 15th overall pick in this year’s draft out of Michigan State, played six games for the Hawks Las Vegas Summer League team. He averaged 12.5 points and 7.0 rebounds. The 6-foot-10 forward admitted he was still learning where his shot will come from in the Hawks offensive system. That process progressed through the summer during open gym workouts with Hawks veterans. And it will dramatically increase in training camp with coaches on the floor.

“It’s been a tough transition trying to pick up some things from the vets because they have so many different moves and schemes that they do out of the court,” Payne said. “It’s just trying to get used to some of those things.”

- See more at: http://atlantahawks.blog.ajc.com/2014/10/02/payne-impresses-with-on-court-explosiveness/#sthash.y8L9Eu37.dpuf

• Like 2

That's wazzup! I honestly believe over the season he will eventually become saps main backup but in the beginning Payne and Scott will split backup minutes at pf with Scott getting slightly more.

Scott is the odd man out to me in rotations at SF and PF this year with newcomers Thabo and Payne added to the team. I just think those guys bring higher value than Scott as far as what they are asked to do.

Thabo is a better defender than Scott at the 3 and Payne is a better shooter than Scott at the 4 and he has a stupid long wing span that can help on the defense end.

I like my boy mike Scott but just saying.....

That's wazzup! I honestly believe over the season he will eventually become saps main backup but in the beginning Payne and Scott will split backup minutes at pf with Scott getting slightly more.

Scott is the odd man out to me in rotations at SF and PF this year with newcomers Thabo and Payne added to the team. I just think those guys bring higher value than Scott as far as what they are asked to do.

Thabo is a better defender than Scott at the 3 and Payne is a better shooter than Scott at the 4 and he has a stupid long wing span that can help on the defense end.

I like my boy mike Scott but just saying.....

What if Payne has the ability to sub for Pero instead of Mike.  A second unit of Mack or Schröder/Bazemore/Thabo/Scott/Payne would be an exciting bunch.

Edited by JETSET

One thing I love about Payne is that he's ready to go. There's no grooming him. We haven't had a player that has been ready to contribute right away for a while it seems. I mean nowadays teams draft guys who are 18,19 and 20 years old. That's why I'm excited to see Payne. He stayed in college, got the experience and should be good to go.

• Premium Member

One thing I love about Payne is that he's ready to go. There's no grooming him. We haven't had a player that has been ready to contribute right away for a while it seems. I mean nowadays teams draft guys who are 18,19 and 20 years old. That's why I'm excited to see Payne. He stayed in college, got the experience and should be good to go.

Not really!  Payne will have a ton of growing pains!  He has to find his niche in the NBA before he becomes productive but obviously we have the right coaching staff to make it happen.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Really? Well duh - isn't that true about most things in life.

It is but our last 3 first round picks haven't done it yet which lends reason to be skeptical.

Payne wasn't my first choice but I do think he should be ready to go early in his career and we should see him show out this year if he has the goods.  With his size, athleticism and shooting touch, it seems like he should have a role in the rotation from day 1 and the potential to be an impact defender if he dedicates himself.  I am excited to see what he brings this season.

• Like 1

Not really! Payne will have a ton of growing pains! He has to find his niche in the NBA before he becomes productive but obviously we have the right coaching staff to make it happen.

All rookies do. But he has a leg up on them.

• Moderators

Yep I see Payne getting most of his minutes at C. I expect it won't be long until he's pushing Pero down the depth chart. 

I don't recall any time where Al was THIS excited about a rookie. That alone excites me. 

I'm a big fan of Pero but he's the type of guy that if we don't need him in the rotation there are playoff teams that I"m sure would love to bring him off the bench for 5-10 minutes a night.   His horrible playoff stats not withstanding.   Like golden state or the knicks if they should make the playoffs, or of course the spurs.

Yep I see Payne getting most of his minutes at C. I expect it won't be long until he's pushing Pero down the depth chart.

I don't recall any time where Al was THIS excited about a rookie. That alone excites me.

I'm excited that you're excited that Al's excited about Payne.....:-|

I'm a big fan of Pero but he's the type of guy that if we don't need him in the rotation there are playoff teams that I"m sure would love to bring him off the bench for 5-10 minutes a night.   His horrible playoff stats not withstanding.   Like golden state or the knicks if they should make the playoffs, or of course the spurs.

I wouldn't trade Pero though. Not with Al being very injury prone, Payne being a rookie and Brand being a hundred. I'm just reducing his minutes, assuming Payne proves he can thrive with them. He's a 2 way player and that's far more valuable than a guy who's only real assets are stretching the floor and providing attitude. 

• Like 1

Based on how he performed in Summer League he still has a way to go to get quality minutes.

I think he will be behind Scott and Sap at PF this season to start...maybe by Jan he might move ahead of Scott

13 and 7 per game is pretty darn good in summer league for a rookie. I think you'll be shocked when you see he gets most of his minutes at C. 

13 and 7 per game is pretty darn good in summer league for a rookie. I think you'll be shocked when you see he gets most of his minutes at C. 

I agree. I think Payne will be at Center and the Scott signing makes it kind of obvious.  That second unit is going to be explosive if Schröder can take that next step.

• Like 1

I agree. I think Payne will be at Center and the Scott signing makes it kind of obvious. That second unit is going to be explosive if Schröder can take that next step.

Schröder will be our most improved player..just a hunch.

People forget that Pero did not see the floor much unitl Al got injured.  Ayón was the back-up.