• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Well, what's your opinion with one pre season game finished?

Gray Mule

Missing at least two and maybe three starters, the Atlanta

Hawks started out with a big lead, then, in the end, managed

to hang on for the victory.

Pelican's radio announcer said of rookie Payne "He's a load.

He's going to be a good one."  Sounded like he was impressed.

I like the fact that he hit his free throws!

Jenkins, who started in the place of Korver, seemed to have

regained his shooting touch and grabbed some rebounds too!

I didn't watch video, just NBA League pass radio.

What did you think of our players?  The game?  Please

share your thoughts.

Oh, yeah.  Since Horford was out, we had some kid named Brand

who started for us at center.

sun_bespectacled.gif

• Premium Member

John Jenkins is much improved...So is Muscala

Mike Scott shot looks to be reliable

Mack was a good signing because Schröder will not make the rotation this year.  Still turns the ball over

Thabo was a good signing..Rebounds better than anticipated

This team has great depth...

Payne could be an all star garbage man if he concentrated on rebounds, blocks, defense and put back/alleyopps

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with Peoriabird.   Teague and Milsap have not forgotten how to play.  Brand was solid as always.  No Korver, Horford, Bazemore or Antić.  Looks to me like Payne has a ways to go.  He seemed to play at the 5 initially, but there were times when both he and Moose were in the game.  But he's got a lot of guys ahead him (Horford, Brand, Moose, probably Antić)  Mack seems much better than Dennis.  Dennis throws the ball away, makes great moves on his drives, but can't finish.  Probably early, but I think he could benefit from some time in the D-League. 

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with Peoriabird. Teague and Milsap have not forgotten how to play. Brand was solid as always. No Korver, Horford, Bazemore or Antić. Looks to me like Payne has a ways to go. He seemed to play at the 5 initially, but there were times when both he and Moose were in the game. But he's got a lot of guys ahead him (Horford, Brand, Moose, probably Antić) Mack seems much better than Dennis. Dennis throws the ball away, makes great moves on his drives, but can't finish. Probably early, but I think he could benefit from some time in the D-League.

I didn't see the game but i will take your word for it! Glad the team is doing well so far...

I've heard a lot about moose shot looking a lot better this year from deep so if that's the case I'm not so much worried about horford developing a 3pt shot. Also if Scott's 3pt shot is dependable man that's a huge plus for the hawks!

My favorite part about everything you said was that "Teague and sap has not forgotten how to play"...I'm all smiles with that comment please elaborate with more specific detail if you will?!!!

Watched the preseason game online but no audio was terrible.

Jenkins looked really good got to the line, mad his shots just looked overall great

Payne and Muscala did work last night

Mike Scott looks like he's poised to have a great year shot looked great

Dennis can't finish has great moves just can't finished even managed to blow a wide open lay up

We look really deep this year exciting stuff but the Pelicans also stink so let's wait till the next game!

@JTB - I went to the game, and had some pretty good seats. The Teague and Milsap comment was just that they were scoring, and seemed effective. Milsap was only 1-4, but made it to the line and was 5-6, and had some good passes. Teague got in double figures pretty quick. They did not seem to have a lot rust on them, though some of that may have been the opposition. Milsap was tasked with covering Davis a lot and seemed to keep him at bay. Most of the second half Milsap and Teague weren't playing and our lead went from about 18 points to 5 or so. First time I'd seem Moose in person, and he's thinner than I expected for a guy named "Moose." But yeah, he was hitting and grabbing boards and the like. 10 points and 10 rebounds not too bad, but of course, its only pre-season. Payne tried a few long shots that were airballs, so I don't know if that's a big deal, but it would have been more encouraging had he made them. The Hawks should have given Luke Babbitt the game ball, though. He just kept chucking up 3's and was 0-6, even in the 4th. Had he not done that, we might have lost. His shot selection would have made Josh Smith blush.....

Edited by Randy
  • Like 2

• Moderators

@JTB - I went to the game, and had some pretty good seats. The Teague and Milsap comment was just that they were scoring, and seemed effective. Milsap was only 1-4, but made it to the line and was 5-6, and had some good passes. Teague got in double figures pretty quick. They did not seem to have a lot rust on them, though some of that may have been the opposition. Milsap was tasked with covering Davis a lot and seemed to keep him at bay. Most of the second half Milsap and Teague weren't playing and our lead went from about 18 points to 5 or so. First time I'd seem Moose in person, and he's thinner than I expected for a guy named "Moose." But yeah, he was hitting and grabbing boards and the like. 10 points and 10 rebounds not too bad, but of course, its only pre-season. Payne tried a few long shots that were airballs, so I don't know if that's a big deal, but it would have been more encouraging had he made them. The Hawks should have given Luke Babbitt the game ball, though. He just kept chucking up 3's and was 0-6, even in the 4th. Had he not done that, we might have lost. His shot selection would have made Josh Smith blush.....

It said Teague tried the goggles but ditched them.   Does anyone know if that means he put contacts in or is he just playing with bad eyesight?   

• Premium Member

I watched the play by play on yahoo sports, no video just the game update play by play.  Looks like Muscala, Jenkins and scott played pretty well, Payne didnt do too bad for a rookie and Schröder according to the stats is not getting any better, he just constantly throws the ball away, 6 tos in about 20 mins last night.

• Moderators

This team just seems deep.  We have 2-3 guys at each position who are in the conversation to be rotation players and they are all young.   I haven't seen that on the Hawks ever.    Obviously it's preseason but you had guys being effective on the court with 3-4 regular rotation guys not even playing.   Whether you believe in our talent or not, we are well coached.

• Like 2

Didn't get to see or listen to the game but from the boxscore, the things that immediately jumped out at me were Payne, Jenkins and Moose's rebound numbers, as well as Jenkins scoring numbers. It's not easy coming back from back surgery but last night seemed like a good start. I think we have a lot of depth and that goes a long way in an 82 game grind.

Be interesting to see who is the first center we bring off the bench between Brand, Antić and Moose.  Brand held up pretty well last year when he ended up starting, but I don't think that's really the plan for him, so maybe its between Moose and Antić.  Also be interesting to see if they use Payne as a Center or a PF once things get going for real.  Last night he played some of both positions, but they may have been just to get him some minutes. 

Be interesting to see who is the first center we bring off the bench between Brand, Antić and Moose. Brand held up pretty well last year when he ended up starting, but I don't think that's really the plan for him, so maybe its between Moose and Antić. Also be interesting to see if they use Payne as a Center or a PF once things get going for real. Last night he played some of both positions, but they may have been just to get him some minutes.

I can't see how moose and Payne can't easily be in the rotation. Pero is the odd man out in my opinion.

As far as brand he's the first off the bench but I would seriously not play brand a ton of bench minutes. We need to keep him fresh as much as possible.

Be interesting to see who is the first center we bring off the bench between Brand, Antić and Moose.  Brand held up pretty well last year when he ended up starting, but I don't think that's really the plan for him, so maybe its between Moose and Antić.  Also be interesting to see if they use Payne as a Center or a PF once things get going for real.  Last night he played some of both positions, but they may have been just to get him some minutes. 

Each will be first center off the bench at different times. All depends on the opposing matchup.

• Like 1

I think Brand and Pero will get limited minutes.

We kinda know what they can do.

I think Moose and Payne will see minutes to get them ready for the grind.

Al's minutes might be limited in the early going - giving these guys minutes.

Edited by JayBirdHawk