• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Well, what's your opinion with one pre season game finished?

Gray Mule

Potential starting lineup for this season's Hawks:

Horford

Millsap

Carroll

Korver

Teague

Only two of those five even played last night, Millsap and Teague.

The rest of the team who weren't out for some reason or the other

apparently played.

So, I suppose that the Hawks have some pretty good bench players

for this season.  With all the injuries we expect to have, this is great.

No more until Saturday.  That's a long time for some to heal and for

Mrs. Korver to deliver her newborn. 

crazy_pilot.gif

• Like 1

I watched the play by play on yahoo sports, no video just the game update play by play.  Looks like Muscala, Jenkins and scott played pretty well, Payne didnt do too bad for a rookie and Schröder according to the stats is not getting any better, he just constantly throws the ball away, 6 tos in about 20 mins last night.

I just watched the Boxscore too, so i cann't say much about the game - but i am happy that the hawks won even without some important players.

But i can say a bit about Schröder progress, since i saw most of the Qualifikation games from germany and can say he got better even when he still has a lot of work todo.

Schröder:

- got stronger (i heard + 5kg), and shows a better Body control when he bounce into a Big Men during so he could make some and one and maybe is more confident in drawing contact (which maybe explains his ft in this game)

- worked on his left hand, last season he often avoid using it even when it was the better option ... I didn't noticed that during the qualification where he made some layups with his left hand.

- he shot better from the dribbling

Schröder still have these major weaknesses in my eyes:

- Stupid TO, i believe this is something mental because he can difficult passes with a good succes rate

- Finishing he gets in good position but fails to convert to often, i hope he can etablish a good floater so that he can finish before he run into the help from the big men

- Slow release, he need to get off his shot quicker

He still needs time to develop, and beeing the third PG which isn't cruising like Phily isn't surprising but he made progress and has the tools to etablish himself in the league and hopefully in Atlanta.

Sorry for my bad english, it isn't my first language and it got a bit rusty.

• Like 4

Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer was asked following the morning shoot-around what he wanted to see rookie Adreian Payne work on in the game and overall “Defensively, his awareness is where we need him to improve,” Budenholzer said. “I think understanding how the ball can move and how he can be a facilitator and understanding spacing and where the shooters are.” It was noted that the Hawks have several big men with a similar skill set as Payne – Al Horford, Paul Millsap, Pero Antić and Mike Muscala – who could be used as mentors in his progression to the NBA game. Atlanta Journal-Constitution - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.epgNS00b.dpuf

Potential starting lineup for this season's Hawks:

Horford

Millsap

Carroll

Korver

Teague

Only two of those five even played last night, Millsap and Teague.

The rest of the team who weren't out for some reason or the other

apparently played.

So, I suppose that the Hawks have some pretty good bench players

for this season. With all the injuries we expect to have, this is great.

No more until Saturday. That's a long time for some to heal and for

Mrs. Korver to deliver her newborn.

crazy_pilot.gif

@Gray Mule - baby was born 3 days ago - mother and baby boy are fine and home.

Knox Elliot Korver!!

I'll feed you, baby birds. Here's a taste of last night's action:  http://www.nba.com/video/games/hawks/2014/10/06/0011400007-nop-atl-recap.nba/

The guys looked good. Especially shocked by Jenkins. I expected him to hobble around the floor, but he was slashing and scrambling and hustling. Very pleasant surprise. 

I also really liked Moose. Man, I know it's just one preseason game, but that's a darn good stat line.

The whole game was pretty impressive considering we were lacking 3 of our starting ,5 and I don't even think our starters or EB played at all in the 2nd half. And no Pero or Bazemore? And NO just poured some of that Katrina water all over our southeastern rivals the Heat a few days ago? 

Yeah, I'm happy.

• Like 2

From what I saw (well actually I didn't see anything - just reacting to posts)...we should be a solid playoff contender...and maybe even make a deep run this year.

(that is, unless we lose the next pre-season game, in which case we should tank)

newspaper.gif

Hilarious.    People around here should know better to make sweeping judgements off of preseason, especially after just one preseason game.   The first one at that.

And let's not panic over Schröder just yet.

Honestly, the only thing I'm looking at during preseason, is if guys can do what they're "advertised" to do.  And by the final few preseason games, is the team looking like they're ready for the regular season.

Hilarious.    People around here should know better to make sweeping judgements off of preseason, especially after just one preseason game.   The first one at that.

And let's not panic over Schröder just yet.

Honestly, the only thing I'm looking at during preseason, is if guys can do what they're "advertised" to do.  And by the final few preseason games, is the team looking like they're ready for the regular season.

Agree - especially on Dennis.  At this point I want Dennis to give us more good than bad.

He had nine points, four assists and even added a blocked shot to his first preseason game of 2014, but as this showed the potential impact of Dennis Schröder on a Hawksgame, so too the other side of the ledger showed the improvement left to be done in the 2013 first round draft pick.

Schröder had six turnovers and missed five of his seven shots. Those five felt like 60 considering Schröder missed them at the rim, usually after a sweet drive to the hoop. It's an area of his game that shows great potential, using his speed to create scoring ops for himself and his teammates, but without the finish, it's a lost opportunity.

"Coach this summer worked with me a lot on that (getting to the rim on drives). He told me to use it in the game, get my teammates involved on kick-outs or finish by myself," Schröder acknowledged. "But I have to keep working on it. Still working on it."

The six turnovers were sloppy, but the defense the young guard played at times on Russ Smith almost looked predatory. Schröder seemed to smell the fear on Smith and got into the young Pelican, almost right as Smith got to halfcourt.

"Yeah, for sure,"Dennis laughed as I asked him about smelling fear on Smith. "Jimmer, too, I could do that. I feel like (when it's like that) I can take them full court, do it every time when it's a dead ball, free throw or something."

The preseason should be the time where Dennis shows what positive impact he can make in the Hawks rotation. Dennis' rookie year, which contained a river of growing opportunities, was likely the importance of bringing Shelvin Mack back. While Mack played little point guard in this preseason game, if Schröder is unable to stay on the court, Mack is ready to reprise his solid role from the 2013-14 season.

Schröder knows what his charter is for his coach and team, "Defense first, share the ball on offense," Schröder repeats. Ï think we are to try to compete every night, to play hard. I feel that's what we do."

Whether Dennis can provide more good than bad will determine his role in the Hawks rotation, as it did last season. The good is there, and its obvious, but for now, so are the blemishes.

Yeah, for sure, with Jimmer, too. I could do that -- take them full court, try to do it every thime when it's a dead ball, free throw or something.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/10/8/6933257/atlanta-hawks-dennis-Schröder

Edited by JayBirdHawk