• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

How do you all feel about analytics?

Wurider05

It's threads like this that bring out the titans of Hawksquawk. Contrasting views and quality posts going on in here guys and gals. The idiots tend to stay away from threads that require thought and research. Nice to read actually debate. popcorm1.gif

Errbody come in for a hug

Except you wretch dont feel like getting felt up again

• Like 1

Melo has shown he has the power to select the team and players he wants to play with. If you or he feels his surrounding talent isn't up to par, that's his fault. I'm pretty sure the Nuggets still have won more games than the Knicks since his departure in the much tougher Conference, that pretty much sums up Melo's value. Exquisite individual scoring skills no doubt, but if I were a voter I couldn't dream of selecting a guy All-NBA who leads a losing team AND has no chance of sniffing All-Defense, just me. I'm anxious to revisit the Melo debate at the end of the year when Fish and Phil both hate his guts and lememt the countless ways he doesn't measure up to MJ and Kobe.

He does?   I thought that was the role of the GM . . . to select the team.   Melo didn't tell management to get rid of Jeremy Lin, or especially Landry Fields.  Melo didn't tell management to get rid of sharpshooter Chris Copeland, who showed the ability to score in bunches off the bench.   All 3 of those guys were casualties of piss poor management by the Knicks, which forced them to let those guys go, because they couldn't afford to pay them.

They're the ones that are paying a broke down Amare Stoudamire a gazillion dollars.  They're the ones who brought in weak azz Andrei Bargnani and ended up trading a bunch of fillers, two 2nd round picks, and a  2016 1st round pick.   Blaming Melo for the piss poor management of the Knicks is like blaming Al Horford for the failure of management to not get him some LEGIT big man help in the middle.

And as for this statement . . . . Exquisite individual scoring skills no doubt, but if I were a voter I couldn't dream of selecting a guy All-NBA who leads a losing team AND has no chance of sniffing All-Defense, just me. . . . this is just further bias against Melo, and not looking at that piss poor squad built around him.   He literally did it ALL last year, and people still crap on that dude and not give him credit?   Without Melo, the Knicks are easily the worst team in the league, and it isn't even close.

I think our eyes see what they want to see sometimes. And we let others opinions become part of our own and shape reality around that.

Analytics are great for clearing away personal biases and seeing what actually exists.

Bingo! I'm an IT Business Partner whose expertise is in Business Intelligence and Analytics. I have this same conversation with my sales people all the time. They don't always want to embrace analytics.

Analytics is about trying to maximize your potential. Understanding that budget and sales people are finite, I don't want them wondering around aimlessly. We want them working the customers that have the greatest profit potential or at risk customers with high profit margin. Analytics is a tool help you focus. Understanding that each individual can only action so much in a given month. If you aren't using analytics your a modern day door to door salesman.

Bringing this back to basketball. Cap space and roster space are limited. You want to make sure you are filling your team with players that bring the greatest team value(ex:wins) for their share of cap space.

Analytics isn't about LeBron everyone wants a LeBron. Just like everyone wants their products on Wal-Mart's shelf. You don't need analytics for that. Analytics is about guys like Millsap. Knowing how undervalued Sap was and getting him for a steal is why you want analytics. Thats where the competitive advantage is.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Analytics isn't about LeBron everyone wants a LeBron. Just like everyone wants their products on Wal-Mart's shelf. You don't need analytics for that. Analytics is about guys like Millsap. Knowing how undervalued Sap was and getting him for a steal is why you want analytics. Thats where the competitive advantage is.

moneyball-fist-pump-o.gif

• Like 1

moneyball-fist-pump-o.gif

Dang it Macdaddy why change your avatar...I know half the people on here by their avatars..you were African American Kyle...now ur Koonin? Dang it just puttin my memory to work huh