• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

NBAsupes40' take on the 2014-15 NBA Basketball season

NBASupes

Hey guys, I been watching from a far and here is my 2014 take on the NBA pre-season for the Hawks and it's competition. 

My biggest worry is the Horf-Sap fit and like I felt, while Horf isn't close to 100%, they haven't looked good together as they score from many of the same spots on the court. I think by the middle of the season, Sap will need to be traded as Horf is far more valuable to winning than Sap is. 

Jenkins looks like Jenkins again. His defense is looking decent and his scoring skills look good. While he isn't where I felt he would be at this point of his career, he still could be on a Dell Curry track as a NBA player. Don't lose hope on him as a NBA starter at some point. 

Dennis has been consistently inconsistency. He looks like a All NBA talent then the next night, he's been meh. He is a stud of a talent. His ability to run an offense is good and his skills really shine. I said it before but he looks like a young smaller but quicker Gary Payton but he's more raw than GP was at this stage of his career. With that said, GP was older when he entered the NBA.

Horf has been solid but not Horf. Still can fill out the stat sheets at just 80-85%. A testament to his talent.

Sap has been off and on but still our best player outside of Horf.

Jeff is Jeff. An average PG with good NBA talent. Not sure he will ever be a great fit in this offense for his role but he's just good enough.

Mack is Mack. Has games where he looks like a starter and games where he looks like a scrub. Your typical solid backup PG.

Mike M is a good talent but raw player. Once he gets bigger and can consistently play center, he is going to be a steal. Him and Tarvares were really good picks for the Hawks. 

Korver is Korver. 

DMC is a little better. Thank goodness our system isn't dribble drive based or he would be out of the lineup ASAP. 

Thabo is a good player for our system. The lack of a dribble drive system and a heavy ball/player movement fits Thabo well. He's looks twice the player he was in OKC. 

Bazemore doesn't look impressive at all for us. I could see him getting reserve minutes especially with Jenkins constantly looking better than him. As much as I assumed Baze would be great in a system that doesn't feature ball handling, he's not that good at player movement or ball movement as well. Baze has talent but maybe he might need to be shipped off sooner than later. 

I am probably forgetting some players but that's my write-up on the Hawks. This could be a 40-55 win team. I really think they are a 46 win team with or without Sap or Horf. Sap and Horf while different overall kinda score from the same spots and both can get in each other's way. I would look at moving Sap for the center during ASB. I really think Monroe would be a much better fit with Horf than Sap is if Detroit is open to that type of deal. 

As for the rest of the SE. 

Miami looks good. I really think Miami fits much better without James but don't expect them to be contenders. But Ennis and Napier look really good.Napier looks like a future AS. Ennis is a good talent as well. Good trade Ferry... Overall, I think they should overachieve in the regular season with less attention and better fit. I can see them winning the SE but it will be a battle with the Hawks, Wiz, and Hornets. 

The Hornets look really good this year. Out of all the teams in the East, this team might be the most improved outside of the Cavs of course who added one of the GOATs. Not only was Lance a great signing but Kemba and MKG have really improved their games this off-season. It wouldn't surprise me if this team won 60 games and even won the East. They are that much improved and their bench is respectable this season. My favorites to win the SE. 

The Wiz are an improved team. But with Wall and Beal health, Nene, Gortat and Pierce's health. I have questions about the Wiz. With that said, an improved bench, a stud role player in Otto Porter who has potential to be a star and a nice role player in Glen Rice Jr makes me believe that this team is a bigger playoff threat than regular season threat. I have them tabbed at 45-50 wins but I think they might be one of the best playoff teams in the East. 

The Magic are improved. No, seriously the Magic are improved. Their players are growing and they have a PG of the future in Payton. Problem is, they are still rebuilding. I expect them to range anywhere from 35-20 wins depending on health as they have talented depth but not NBA ready depth. Don't get your hope Magic fans, you will be in for a long year. Enjoy the lottery. 

My rankings for 2014 based off the pre-season and the rosters are: 

1. Hornets- 60-22

2. Hawks- 50-32

3. Wizards- 49-33

4. Heat- 48- 34

5. Magic- 22-60

I really expect the SE to be a freeforall from 2-4. I really expect to see the Central and Atlantic struggle this year. 

My playoffs teams are: Cleveland, Charlotte, Toronto, Hawks, Wizards, Heat, Detroit, New York. 

Disappointments are: Brooklyn but could surprise with Hollins as the HC (They are my what if's of 14-15), Indy, and Boston. 

Watch for: Brooklyn (lol, I know), Milwaukee, Orlando and Atlanta. 

The best playoff teams are: Cleveland, Hornets, and the Wizards. 

Winner in the East: Cleveland

The ECF should be: Washington v. Cleveland

The Finals should be: Cleveland v. OKC(watch for the big New Zealand center and Jeremy Lamb's growth will be enough to overtake SA. 

MVP- Lebron James

MIP- Al Horford. Watch for Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons depending on their record.

ROY- Jabari Parker/Shabazz Napier

6th- Jamal Crawford

DPOY- Larry Sanders. Watch for Derrick Favors and Dwight Howard.

He's done man- Kobe Bryant... Last year, KG won this award. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired
  • Like 1

Great analysis! The only points I disagreed on were Bazemore and the Hornets.

I think Bazemore's injury may be contributing to his struggles this preseason. I like his desire to get to the basket even if he's been struggling finishing. Once he gets comfortable, I can see him getting more minutes.

As far as the Hornets go, I can't see them winning 60 games. They do have great coaching, but I don't think they'll be a very good offensive team. They are positioned to have a good year, but winning 60 games is reaching a bit high for me.

• Like 1

Great analysis! The only points I disagreed on were Bazemore and the Hornets.

I think Bazemore's injury may be contributing to his struggles this preseason. I like his desire to get to the basket even if he's been struggling finishing. Once he gets comfortable, I can see him getting more minutes.

As far as the Hornets go, I can't see them winning 60 games. They do have great coaching, but I don't think they'll be a very good offensive team. They are positioned to have a good year, but winning 60 games is reaching a bit high for me.

The Hornets are loaded. They have plus talent at very position but PF but they have decent depth there and they fit each other. 

The Hornets are loaded. They have plus talent at very position but PF but they have decent depth there and they fit each other.

That's true, but I don't think MKG and Kemba have progressed far enough to get them to 60 wins. They may very well win the division, but I don't see them running away with it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

You had me until you slated the Hornets to win 60 games. 60 GAMES? Heck naw!

Yeah, they're not winning 60. Maybe 50...  

The Hawks are not winning 50 something games either. They were not going to win that last year (if they had stayed healthy) and they will not win that many this year with the conference being stronger while the Hawks basically put out the same team. Ain't happening.

Hornets win 60 games I officially change my name to nbasupes#1fan. I'd be surprised if they get 45. I'm actually betting that they crash and burn early on after Lance sleeps with Kemba's wife and then shacks up with MKG's sister and fist fights Marvin...(please no duck jokes lol)

Hornets win 60 games I officially change my name to nbasupes#1fan. I'd be surprised if they get 45. I'm actually betting that they crash and burn early on after Lance sleeps with Kemba's wife and then shacks up with MKG's sister and fist fights Marvin...(please no duck jokes lol)

Real Housewives of Charlotte in production?

You left out getting in gambling debt to MJ and having to enter the NBA's substance abuse program.  Hey, they say Lance is a jack of all trades out there.  Don't sell him short.

I think Sap and Horf are versatile and intelligent enough to figure out how to maximize their floor time together.

I never think Mack looks like a scrub.

I agree with Thabo being poised to have a fine, bounce back year.

I respect Wade a lot, but he has to show me he's gonna be as healthy as he claims.

I question how well Lance will fit into Charlotte's Al-on-the-block centric offense. Him taking the ball out of George Hill's hands is ideal, Kemba not so much.

I'm not big on Wall's pacing or jumper, nor their frontcourt staying healthy.

I also like the potential of the Magic roster down the road. All things considered, I'd prefer Vucevic over Dwight.

The Raptors have a nice nucleus and should be better for their playoff experience, but I'm just not sold on Casey.

It's gonna be fun watching Stan and Josh clash.

There isn't anything coming out of NY but turmoil and excessive media coverage of Phil making silly comments after home blowouts.

I'm not expecting much from Milwaukee or Indy but I respect both coaches, so they could surprise.

Joe and Deron are only getting older/ slower/ richer/ less confident, Brook can't stay healthy, and the departed Livingston looked like their best player at times last year. Hollins is good but he can't counteract all that.

I like a few players for Boston, but I don't know what to make of Stevens or Rondo's commitment.

Love Thibideau, but his offenses are never anything to write home about. He has a task incorporating Pau and McBuckets. I never cared for Rose, like the Bulls better without him actually. Their center is a better passer.

The Sixers are the pathetic perpetually tanking Sixers.

I truly think if all teams experience optimum health, we jockey all year for the Top Spot. That's just how much I think of Bud and the Spurs-style offense.

• Like 3

I totally forgot to mention the sexy favorites in the Cavs. Love LeBron, just too many questions with Love's and Irving's habits for winning and playing D, Waiters jacking up shots, Blatt learning on the fly, and the mess of their front office.

They had some bad defensive lapses against Dallas, the type of team that could easily blow them out on National TV. I certainly don't buy the idea of giving them time and leeway to "get adjusted" to each other and this supposed complex Euro offense. Last I checked these are rich professionals. With the talent they have with their Big 3 alone anything less than hitting the ground running should be unacceptable to Cavs fans. I'd actually like their team if they still had Jarret Jack. Thompson's development is a big determining factor in how far apart they can set themselves. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they failed to make the Con. Finals, which would then set them back next year after their GM and coach get canned.

Edited by benhillboy

SVG has already stated Josh should not be taking 3s

Hmmm that's a new one. Nobody's ever told Josh that before. I'm sure he will listen and obey the coach's wishes ...

Welcome back supe

Thanks GT! Good seeing you again.

I think Sap and Horf are versatile and intelligent enough to figure out how to maximize their floor time together.

I never think Mack looks like a scrub.

I agree with Thabo being poised to have a fine, bounce back year.

I respect Wade a lot, but he has to show me he's gonna be as healthy as he claims.

I question how well Lance will fit into Charlotte's Al-on-the-block centric offense. Him taking the ball out of George Hill's hands is ideal, Kemba not so much.

I'm not big on Wall's pacing or jumper, nor their frontcourt staying healthy.

I also like the potential of the Magic roster down the road. All things considered, I'd prefer Vucevic over Dwight.

The Raptors have a nice nucleus and should be better for their playoff experience, but I'm just not sold on Casey.

It's gonna be fun watching Stan and Josh clash.

There isn't anything coming out of NY but turmoil and excessive media coverage of Phil making silly comments after home blowouts.

I'm not expecting much from Milwaukee or Indy but I respect both coaches, so they could surprise.

Joe and Deron are only getting older/ slower/ richer/ less confident, Brook can't stay healthy, and the departed Livingston looked like their best player at times last year. Hollins is good but he can't counteract all that.

I like a few players for Boston, but I don't know what to make of Stevens or Rondo's commitment.

Love Thibideau, but his offenses are never anything to write home about. He has a task incorporating Pau and McBuckets. I never cared for Rose, like the Bulls better without him actually. Their center is a better passer.

The Sixers are the pathetic perpetually tanking Sixers.

I truly think if all teams experience optimum health, we jockey all year for the Top Spot. That's just how much I think of Bud and the Spurs-style offense.

I think they are versatile and intelligent but players have shot charts and hot spots. The good thing is each player seems to have added range to their shot. Problem is both players score from similar spots.

Horf is more efficient while Sap seems to pass the eye test in terms of creating his own shot.

Mack has his moments. Maybe scrub was a tad harsh. He really doesn't have many scrub moment, just not many good-great moments.

That is true with Wade but I can't really go off of that. Not even for Brook Lopez.

Indy runs a very similar offense. They run out of the post even more than Charlotte.

Wall is the real deal. He was the best PG in the NBA during the regular season last year with CP3 and Lillard.

The Dwight statement was asinine but you really don't like him so I won't touch that comment.

Casey is legit but Toronto is the old Atlanta. Regular season team.

lol, it will be fun to watch.

I like your take like usual. Always a good read.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

• Moderators

Hmmm that's a new one. Nobody's ever told Josh that before. I'm sure he will listen and obey the coach's wishes ...

Actually that's not true.  Woody and Drew, while maybe in the locker room told him not to take them, publicly said they didn't have issue with him taking 3s 'at the right time'.   And they certinaly didn't do anything about it.  SVG has publicly said it before the season even starts.   That's why he still gets head coaching jobs.   I guarantee if Josh starts launching at the clip he did last year he'll be head towel waver

Actually that's not true. Woody and Drew, while maybe in the locker room told him not to take them, publicly said they didn't have issue with him taking 3s 'at the right time'. And they certinaly didn't do anything about it. SVG has publicly said it before the season even starts. That's why he still gets head coaching jobs. I guarantee if Josh starts launching at the clip he did last year he'll be head towel waver

Sadly I think your right. Knowing our luck, Josh will probably stop shooting 3's, have one of the highest fg% in the league and make his first all star appearance. And all the credit will go to SVG and the Pistons. Smh

Edited by Spud2Nique

• 4 weeks later...

So far...

Dropped the ball on the Hornets. Lance was been a mess there and it has backfired. 

Wrong the Hawks. Worse than expected but not much worse .45 wins is the best for them unless they get a legit center to play with Horford.

Miami has been exactly what I thought as has Orlando but they might win more than 22 games this year. Maybe 30 but I said they are rangey and that hasn't changed. 

Chicago was simply forgotten about. Not sure how but they are clearly the best team in the East. I don't see Cleveland beating them even when they get it together unless they make some trades. As much as this player is a nuisance, they might need to look at JaVale McGee. 

Cleveland is very good but they aren't elite except on offense. 

Washington is better than I thought. PP and Otto Porter are magic impact wise. They have a bench finally. Are a legit EC contender as I felt they were. I somehow felt they would beat Chicago in a series. I don't believe that anymore but I do think they are legit. 

1. Washington

2. Miami

3. Atlanta

4. Charlotte

5. Orlando

is how the southeast should finsh. I still think Charlotte could make the playoffs but they need to get it together or make a trade or two for fit.