• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

LeBron Recruited Joe Johnson?

Here's the important snippet of a longer article:

"I recruited [before] I left here," James said. "I just didn't win nothing so nobody wanted to come with me. I recruited. I recruited Michael Redd. I recruited Joe Johnson. I recruited Chris Bosh. I recruited a lot of guys. I just didn't win. They didn't want to come to Cleveland."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lebron-james-sets-tone-for-cavaliers--and-cleveland--with-leadership-022309252.html

I'm going on the record of calling BULL - SHIT.

Joe was a free agent in the 2005 offseason and the 2010 offseason. The 2010 offseason was also when LeBron was a free agent and left for Miami. So those are the only two times that LeBron could have "recruited" him or whatever you want to call it.

In 2005, Joe was not a highly ranked free agent (top 10 rankings on nba.com leave him out http://www.nba.com/features/freeagentpreview_050705.html). It's highly doubtful that LeBron was recruiting him then. So that would leave only the 2010 offseason in which the Cavs had absolutely no resources to grab Joe. It would have needed to be a sign-and-trade with good old Michael Gearon Junior.

So I think LeBron is talking out of his ass here.

• Moderators

I do remember that Joe was supposedly in the team up conversation with Lebron and Wade but ultimately it didn't happen.  Mainly because the Hawks dumped a huge pile of money in his lap right?   It's possible that the last year of Lebron in Cleveland he was trying to convince Joe to come there when he became a free agent.   Who knows what he means by 'recruiting'.

• Like 1

I do remember that Joe was supposedly in the team up conversation with Lebron and Wade but ultimately it didn't happen.  Mainly because the Hawks dumped a huge pile of money in his lap right?   It's possible that the last year of Lebron in Cleveland he was trying to convince Joe to come there when he became a free agent.   Who knows what he means by 'recruiting'.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines.  What does "recruiting" mean for him?  They probably slapped each other's back and said STTE, "Man if we played together it'd be swell".  For James' self-serving purposes that could mean he "recruited" JoeJohn.

No denying Lebron's talent, skill, work ethic etc. but the man is full of $hit. "Recruiting" is a very loose term to him. Hell, we might as well say he recruited Durant, Melo, Dwight, etc. Gimme a break Lebron. And the media turns this into a story? Smh

Has Lebron ever made an honest statement?  All he does is lie.  Especially with his reasoning of returning to Cleveland.  He wouldn't be in Cleveland without Love.

Haha, yeah.  He perpetually keeps a finger in the air to see which way the wind's blowing to drive his "opinion" and "recollection" of "facts".  It's like these guys heard about MJ's whole "Republicans buy shoes too" thing and just pervert and run with it to the nth degree.

They have a lot of money so I'm sure they'll be fine in life, but overall these dudes aren't as wise as they think they are.

Actually it was the 2005 season and we had threads on it here. But Lebron had them go after Larry Hughes instead and we got lucky to get Joe. Hughes was a disappointment there and a black mark on Ferry for trying to get a guy Lebron wanted and overpaid for.

@Dolfan23 posted on this thread....and didn't blow a gasket about putting this in the "Around the NBA" forum? Must be some good pain meds.

Oxy is a wonderful drug my friends :)

@Dolfan23 posted on this thread....and didn't blow a gasket about putting this in the "Around the NBA" forum? Must be some good pain meds.

Oxy is a wonderful drug my friends :)

• Like 1

• Admin

Actually it was the 2005 season and we had threads on it here. But Lebron had them go after Larry Hughes instead and we got lucky to get Joe. Hughes was a disappointment there and a black mark on Ferry for trying to get a guy Lebron wanted and overpaid for.

oh yeah, I remember the two top young free agent guards were Hughes and Joe. I really wanted Hughes. Man was I wrong ... He was a huge bust
  • Like 1

Prove it!

And if it does turn out that LeBron recruited Joe to then go back and request Larry Hughes...well then it still makes LeBron look like a doucher.

scenic.gif

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2094076

Updated: June 24, 2005, 6:10 PM ET

Associated Press

AKRON, Ohio -- LeBron James says he would like to have some input on which players the Cavaliers add to their roster as the free agency period begins next week.

He shared his thoughts about the Cavaliers' offseason during a news conference Friday in his hometown of Akron to promote "LeBron's King for Kids Bike-a-thon."

The 20-year-old All-Star said he hasn't gotten involved in the hiring of a coach and general manager, but would welcome Larry Brown as president, even though Brown limited him on playing time during the Olympics.

Brown, whose season as coach of the Piston ended Thursday night, has had discussions with the Cavaliers' ownership about becoming the team's president.

James also said he would like to see Joe JohnsonMichael ReddRay Allen or Larry Hughes join the team, as well as Chicago's Eddy Curry.

James did not mention Cavaliers free-agent center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, whom James openly campaigned to keep last season.

Oh here's a little blasts from the past to stoke the fires...

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/91256-cavs-sign-another-in-a-monster-offseason/

CLEVELAND (AP) - Free agent forward Donyell Marshall agreed to terms Tuesday on a four-year contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers, giving the rebuilt club another player to complement LeBron James. 

Marshall is the third significant player signed by the Cavs this summer after re-signing Zydrunas Ilgauskas and signing guard Larry Hughes. 

The Cavs are also looking for a point guard and have reportedly talked with the agents for Marko Jaric and Damon Stoudamire. 

If the Cavs end up with Z, Marshall, Hughes and Jaric/Mighty Mouse from the offseason you have to say that is amazing work from them and they must be ready for a big step forward next year.

They lead the team report cards so far...

A good GM you say? My my, whomever could that GM have been? 

It's amazing what a good GM and a superstar can do for a team. In 3 years would Billy and Marvin be able to do what the Cavs GM and Lebron are doing. I hope so. Without a obvious superstar to attract top players we should count overselves lucky if we get any top FA. 

Ouch! Then again the following is probably from one of @Spud2Nique's boys in the Bay

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2121726

Joe Johnson is just taking care of his family, I'm sure of it. He is doing the best thing for his loved ones, trying to give them the security he never knew, and pay them back for all their sacrifices while he pursued his dream to be a 'baller.

On the other hand, he is going from the Phoenix Suns to the Atlanta Hawks, which means:

• a) His family needs a lot of care.
  • b) His family is roughly the population of Bermuda.
  • c) His family had to submit to actual human sacrifices for the benefit of Johnson's career.
Otherwise, Joe Johnson is stark staring nuts.

Now we understand that athletics is a fleeting career, and if you can set yourself up for eternity, nobody can sensibly fault you. We also understand that everybody's money spends the same. And we definitely know the Hawks and Suns both play in the best basketball league on the planet.

We get all that.

What we don't get, on the other hand, is this:

They're the Atlanta Hawks, for God's sake! Nobody knows them! Nobody watches them! Nobody cares about them! They are the NBA's irreversible coma! Who in their right mind would volunteer for this?

We get the money, we really do. Money is good for a lot of things, and you can actually buy respect with money. In most places.

Atlanta, though, is one of those places where that equation doesn't work. The Hawks can't pay enough money to get a player respect, because they are the Hawks, and because they are the Hawks, a player can't get enough respect to justify the anonymity. Why, if it weren't for the yellow uniforms, nobody would ever know they were there at all.

And that, children, is why whatever Joe Johnson's motivations might be, he ends up being wrong anyway, simply because of his destination.

There are few places where one can say the money isn't worth it under any circumstances. You can justify $70 million in Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Denver, Utah, Minnesota, Memphis, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Indiana, New York, New Jersey, Orlando, Miami, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Toronto and Washington.

You need more for Charlotte and Golden State, say $80 million, because the Hornets are new and the Warriors have been so irrelevant for so long. New Orleans, $90 million, because the owners are such incurable whack jobs.

But Atlanta? Horrible. From Phoenix? Inexcusable. Hell, $70 million is chump change, for the simple reason that you are going from a team on the come to a team players have been willing to sharpen a spoon and tunnel through cement to escape.

It may be that the Hawks have a master plan to get back into the Eastern Conference mix (or the Eastern Conference, period, as far as that goes). They are young, they have a couple of intriguing members (Josh Smith, and uh, er, umm), and nobody can stay horrible forever, right?

Well, wrong. The Warriors are into their second decade of playoff-free basketball. The Clippers were a running punch line until this year. The Wizards just tunneled out of their own private hell.

The point here is that whatever the Hawks have in mind, their recent plans have been abject failures. The team is utterly repellent, and any time they get a player of any stature, they either trade him immediately (Rasheed Wallace) or trade him almost immediately (Antoine Walker).

Then again, maybe that is what Johnson is thinking -- get the money now, and then work on getting back to a good situation. Only that's not foolproof either, because there aren't that many good situations.

In short, this is a plea for sanity, for not taking the huge money from a bad team when the alternative is big money from a good one. This is a gentle reminder that the NBA is the most stratified of leagues, that teams do not move giddily up and down as they do in football, baseball or hockey. In the last 25 years, the championship trophy has seen only seven cities. Half the current membership has never won, and the Hawks haven't even gotten to a conference final since 1969.

It's too late, apparently, for Joe Johnson, of course. He made up his mind, and will be wealthier for having done so. But he will also be utterly forgotten, playing in a town that finds the pro game utterly resistible for a team that keeps watching other people have all the fun.

He will be a rich, impactless man. If that's his idea of a good time, fine. But we're going to play the percentages and guess that he will soon lament his choice, even on the first and 15th of the month. There are still a few things money can't buy, amazingly enough, and relevance is one of them.

Ray Ratto of the San Francisco Chronicle is a regular contributor to ESPN.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocS2GFICJoY

18 April 2005 - the day that @hawksfanatic became a Hawksquawk member and the Hawks begin their turnaround from the NBA's version of Ebola to the team with the 12 greatest fans in all of the NBA. 

And on this day, Joe Johnson does this - http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?284512-OFFICIAL-Phoenix-Suns-Thread&p=3560094#post3560094

At the end of the 1st quarter, Joe Johnson already had 18 points, Steve Nash already had 8 assists, and Phoenix as a team already had 44 points.

This game was a great game to watch smile.gif

Final

DEN 114

PHX 128

Phoenix shot 57% from the field (including 52% from 3-point land)

Joe Johnson 26pts

Amare Stoudemire 26pts

Steve Nash 13ast

Shawn Marion 9reb

The Western Conference playoff matchups are set. Phoenix will play Memphis in the 1st round.

• Like 1