• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Mutombo shows interest in buying Hawks

By Chris Vivlamore

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Former Hawks player Dikembe Mutombo has met with a group of investors about joining their bid to buy the Atlanta Hawks.

The group, which is made up in part of Atlanta businessmen, has begun the preliminary work to get involved in the process. Talks are ongoing. The group may also consist of other former NBA players. They hope to meet with the NBA commissioner’s office in the near future.

Mutombo, from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, played five seasons for the Hawks from 1996-2001 where he twice won the Defensive Player of the Year award.

Currently, the controlling interest of 50.1 percent of the Hawks is for sale. Controlling owner Bruce Levenson announced his intention to sell his stake in the franchise after the discovery of a racially inflammatory e-mail he wrote in 2012. The investigation was prompted after a racist comment was made by general manager Danny Ferry about free-agent prospect Luol Deng in a conference call with ownership and management in June.

Several others have expressed interest in buying the Hawks, including most recently a group involving former player Chris Webber.

The sale process is still in the early stages. The Atlanta Spirit have yet to meet to determine the exact stake in the franchise that is available, possibly beyond just the controlling interest. The process of hiring an investment banking firm to vet prospective buyers has also not been completed.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/mutombo-shows-interest-in-buying-hawks/nhnPy/

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Oh boy, more people who don't have much in financial stake towards a team. Just like I've always wanted!

The former players are pr wrapping around an ownership group. I don't mind seeing Deke reconnect with Atlanta if he is part of a good group of owners. I am still a Dikembe fan.

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with that. Can you elaborate?

I don't think he's ever specifically denounced his Hawk-ness but he's been all Rockets for years now including recruiting Dwight to go there over coming here.

At this point I'd take Deke's blood diamond money over Gearon's.

sarcastic_hand.gif

b34.gif

Add 'Nique and Smitty and you've got a marketing triumvirate I can get behind as the faces of the franchise. As long as their biz backers can buy the entire stake in the team. And they keep Bud. And stay in ATL.

• Like 1

I don't think he's ever specifically denounced his Hawk-ness but he's been all Rockets for years now including recruiting Dwight to go there over coming here.

sarcastic_hand.gif

b34.gif

My mistake, it was gold not diamonds.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/01/mutombos-role-in-10-million-%E2%80%A8gold-scam-only-now-coming-to-light/

http://deadspin.com/5889660/dikembe-mutombo-and-the-case-of-the-missing-congolese-gold

• Premium Member

A few years ago they couldn't give this franchise away to a guy who owned a pizza hut.   Now folks are falling all over themselves to buy and players coming out of the wood work to be a part.   What changed?

Uh........... a price has not been thrown out there yet.  It will not bring anything near what the bafoon paid for the clippers.