Ferry not returning to the Hawks?

Vol4ever

• Moderators

Would you want to work for someone who you couldn't trust?  Gearon is a snake in the grass and I don't blame Ferry if he didn't want to return... Everyone assumes that Ferry's leave means he will be let go, but he very well could refuse to return if Gearon doesn't sell his stake.  The indefinite leave could be Ferry just holding out until he sees how the sale of the team plays out.  If Gearon goes and the new owner wants him back, then he'll return.  If Gearon is still there, then Ferry will resign.  Just speculation though.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I agree.  I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't want to come back.  But he'd be leaving a lot on the table.  I guess he's waiting to be fired so they have to pay him or some kind of settlement.   Still we've seen this reported nowhere and woj puts it as an afterthought like its common knowledge with nothing to back it up.   I think that's bs.

Here is the entire article that is the source of this.

Five-time NBA All-Star Chris Webber is part of a potential ownership group that has submitted a letter of interest to the NBA about its desire to purchase the Atlanta Hawks, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Webber would have a modest financial investment in the partnership, but is expected to emerge as a face of the bid with an ultimate goal of becoming a prominent figure on the basketball side for the Hawks, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

View photo

Chris Webber works as an analyst for TNT. (AP)

The primary investors are expected to become public in the near future, sources said. Several prominent groups with interest in buying the Hawks are also expected to become known soon.

Webber, 41, has had a home in Atlanta for the past decade and has been working to connect with community officials and organizations to make a case for reselling the organization to an increasingly dubious public.

Webber was a five-time All-NBA player in his 15-year career, including stops in Golden State, Washington, Sacramento, Philadelphia and Detroit. He was the No. 1 overall draft pick in 1993 out of the University of Michigan. He's working as a television analyst for TNT and NBA TV, based out of Atlanta now.

The Hawks are moving toward a sale because of a racially insensitive email that surfaced from majority owner Bruce Levenson to ownership partners and his front office. The organization was further humiliated with revelations of a racially charged comments that general manager Danny Ferry made on a conference call with owners in June.

Ferry has taken a leave of absence and isn't expected to return to his job running the organization.

• Moderators

Sadly, I think this is true. And what is worse is that I bet people like Nique and Webber look at this Hawks team and thinks "oh hey yeah I would have totally gotten this team to this point too and now that we are one or two moves away"...[tosses $$$$ at next Josh Smith type FA like Joe Dumars]

This team is in a good position because Ferry hasn't thrown money at bad contracts and has been careful about the types he brings in. You know a little talked about "analytics" issue that would shock people if they knew more about it? Well it's something called Sports Aptitude (http://sportsaptitude.com/) and they do analytics on Team Chemistry. You know, that aspect that "analytics can't quantify!" but really it is an application of psychology? Yeah. Danny Ferry subscribes to that.

Looks like the website for Sports-Aptitude hasn't been updated in a while, so you'll have to take my word on the claim that Ferry subscribes. I recall seeing it through the Sloan Conference in 2013 or 2012.

The best GM we've ever had to just be thrown to the curb due to an arrogant child that didn't like his toys taken away.  The next ESPN "30 for 30" segment will done on the Hawks and what could have been after Ferry leaves.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ferry has been smart but I am not ready to call doom and gloom if we lose him.  Frankly, I have expected from the beginning that this would be a function of what the new owner wants.  Ferry is going to be a hot button issue for at least a few days with the press on his return (at best it will resurface briefly and go away quickly; at worst it will linger and/or escalate).  Some new owners will want a change because they want their own guy, some will want a change because of the ugliness that happened this summer, and some will want to keep Ferry and keep going.  Let's see who owns the team before speculating too much on what will happen with Ferry because the only other key factor is if Ferry wants to walk away.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm curious to see how outsider with a vested interest views our situation.  It's easy to offer up praise looking in from the outside, but when it's YOUR money that's being affected?  As a new owner inheriting a successful team (defined as a team that generates or has a contender), they'd be an idiot to step in and say anything but "carry on."  They are not inheriting that kind of team/franchise.

They're going to come in and ask, "What's wrong here?"  Best case scenario is they conduct a review and determine that we're on the right path, that Ferry put us there (and can keep us there), and that he can get us into the title contention conversation.  Certainly a solid winning record is going to factor into that.  All of which would help erase the recent racist or otherwise intolerant stigma we're currently saddled with.  

I think that's a wee bit optimistic though.  Sports, and it's profitability/marketability, is all about winning.  After throwing a few hundred million into a new investment, new owners aren't going to blindly trust that we knew what we were doing before they got here.  They're going to form their own opinions about our attendance issues, media perception, and quality of play against the league.  Then they're going to try and fix it their own way.  

I would be shocked to see Danny Ferry return...but if he did, I'd certainly have to jump back on the fence and give him a bit more "wait and see."