• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bazemore working to improve offense

Make no mistake, Kent Bazemore was signed for his defense.

While that will his main role with the Hawks, the guard is showing his new coaches and teammates there is more to his game. It’s a slow process as he battles back from offseason foot surgery and completely reconstructs his jump shot.

Bazemore, who signed a two-year, $4 million contract with the Hawks this summer, has played in four of the Hawks’ six exhibition games leading into Wednesday’s preseason finale at the Spurs. He was kept out of the first two contests as he was brought along slowly from the injury.

“He is fitting in well with us,” coach Mike Budenholzer said. “He can really have a big impact on the game defensively. He has made a place for himself in the league as a defender and now I think he is growing offensively. He can get into the paint. He can attack. He can get to the free-throw line. Hopefully, with the movement and cutting and slashing, he can figure out how to fit in and we can figure out how to use him well.”

Bazemore has shown signs that he can get to the rim. He is 3 of 14 from the field this preseason with every make in the paint. He has also drawn five shooting fouls and is 4 of 10 from the free-throw line.

It’s a work in progress as he has yet to make an outside shot.

Bazemore has been working on his jump shot with assistant coach Ben Sullivan. He said the work has been “everything from my feet all the way to my follow-through.” If Bazemore can develop a consistent jump shot it will make his ability to drive to the basket that much more effective.

“There has been a lot thrown at me but once it all gets ironed out, I’ll be fine,” Bazemore said. “My biggest thing is being patient and staying focused mentally because it’s mentally fatiguing to go through that stuff because you are out there and you want to do well but you are just getting back. You are fighting with yourself all the time. The coaching staff and the guys keep me in good spirits. Every game I get better.”

The 6-foot-5 Bazemore will likely play 12-15 minutes per night. He has averaged 11 minutes in his four exhibition appearances. He played 15 minutes against the Pistons Saturday and 12 against the Hornets Monday as Budenholzer began to fine-tune his rotation for the start of the regular season.

Bazemore averaged 6.0 points, 1.7 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 13.6 minutes last season over 67 games with the Warriors and Lakers. Following his trade to the Lakers, he played regular minutes due to injuries and averaged 13.1 points, 3.3 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.4 steals in 28.0 minutes in 23 games. He shot 45.1 percent from the field before his season ended with the foot injury.

“Energy, the same thing I’ve been doing,” Bazemore said when asked his role with the Hawks. “They brought me here because they like the player I am. Coach Bud is definitely playing me to my strengths. That’s good. He is not asking me to do anything outside of myself. It’s all about getting back now. Every day it’s a step closer. The guys are starting to see it. I’m starting to see it but I’m my biggest critic. I want it all back now. It doesn’t work that way.”

The Hawks improved defensively and in depth, two areas lacking at times last season, with the addition of Bazemore. The team will count on his ability to defend on the wing against the opposition’s shooting guard and small forward with his long, athletic frame. Offensive production would be a bonus.

“If he can continue to improve as a shooter and get that confidence and comfort, then he’s got that whole world open to him,” Budenholzer said.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/bazemore-working-to-improve-offense/nhpnn/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_hawks_sfp